Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 37
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Politics and Emotions
Posted: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:45:36 AM
Percy-

I have trouble accepting that someone who starts a discussion by denigrating an entire country and condemning its citizens as either bloodthirsty or brain dead can be described as “a nice guy.” He might mean well, but walking up to someone and saying “I think you’re an a$$, tell me why I should change my mind” is either inflammatory or grossly ignorant- and I don't get the impression Jeech is ignorant. He’s obviously already made up his mind and determined that he holds the moral high ground. Engaging with someone like that is simply a waste of time and electrons.
Topic: Alleged
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 8:08:31 AM
Allegations, not “allegiations.”

Yes, allegations refer to something or things that have supposedly been done but have not been proven. The teen was alleged to have vandalized the cars; he allegedly vandalized the cars; there are allegations that he vandalized the cars.
Topic: Your Mind Knows
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 7:46:40 AM
Reading these posts is easier than playing Hangman with my first-grader! Brick wall
Topic: touch base
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 7:21:34 AM
Yes, it comes from baseball. A runner who’s taken a lead has to go back and touch whichever base he’s on before the next pitch is thrown.

Personally, I wouldn’t use it in Prince’s sentence. It implies an informal, quick chat. You might touch base with a client to let them know the meeting is delayed, with your boss to say you’re ducking out for lunch, or with your spouse to say you can meet the school bus. I’d be more inclined to go with something like get together, catch up, or get back in touch.
Topic: Songs with names in the titles
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:10:53 AM
Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) – Looking Glass

Lola – The Kinks

Maureen – Sade

Layla – Derek and the Dominos (Eric Clapton)
Topic: fastidiousness and pride of phrase
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 9:06:05 AM
Genius is perhaps one of the most difficult things to quantify. We can assign a number value to it, but even then it’s largely meaningless. I do well on IQ tests, but that has as much to do with memory as intelligence. I write well and have an expansive vocabulary, which impresses some of my coworkers. I know, though, that my true talent is in taking what others have discovered and making it pretty and shiny. That is what most of our writers do; they take one of the so-called “seven plots” and shape it into their own creation. Think of a potter; someone centuries ago invented the clay bowl, and billions have been made since. That first person was arguably a genius, or at least had a moment of it. Now every so often, someone makes a bowl that is truly a work of art. Is that genius, or simply superior craftsmanship? Who can say with certainty? My wife may marvel at the art while I wonder how much chili it will hold. It’s all in the perception.

Schopenhauer said, “Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.” This description is perhaps more applicable to hard sciences than to art. Archimedes, Einstein and Semmelweis all made contributions that undoubtedly qualify them for the title, as did da Vinci with his inventions. It’s difficult for me, though, to think of da Vinci without also thinking of the Mona Lisa, which leads me to Michelangelo, Rubens and Botticelli. Once that door is open, it’s hard to keep out Shakespeare, Dostoyevsky, Dickens, and the like. What about Melville? Moby Dick is recognized as one of the most important masterpieces of American literature. I’ve started it four times and have never gotten much beyond “Call me Ishmael.” I think that describes the problem with applying Schopenhauer’s statement to the arts; run-of-the-mill scientists may not be able to see the target that genius hits, but they know in which general direction to look. In art it’s impossible to know when or from where it might be coming.
Topic: Amazing - hope this works & I can share this with you
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2011 1:38:52 PM
Makes those of us who can't even balance a checkbook look pretty pathetic, doesn't it?
Topic: Are these sentences natural? August 30
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:53:55 AM
1 and 2 are fine. 3 is a little off. It would make more sense to write “…better than I can explain it to you.”
As it's written, it kind of says that you're so bizarre that you have to be seen to be understood.
Topic: some cases
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:18:51 AM
"Cases" is correct.

"We adopt these measures in few cases."
This has a different meaning- or at least a different nuance. "Some cases" implies at least a fair percentage of the time, while "few cases" means not very often.
Topic: what's up?
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:22:55 PM
TL Hobs wrote:
A typical response to that in Latino neighborhoods in the US might be something like, "Nada, nada, enchilada.!"

I'm sorry, TL, but I think Latino neighborhoods would be the one place you wouldn't want to say that! Not unless you're a masochist.