Profile: Ray41
About
User Name: Ray41
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,937
[0.20% of all post / 0.55 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Why did the chicken cross the road?
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:53:53 AM
Maryam Dad wrote:
Hello everyone! I am looking for an idiom to describe a joke that lose its funnity because it's repeated over and over.

Off topic but try this link;

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chestnut

chest·nut (chsnt, -nt)
n.
a. Any of several deciduous trees of the genus Castanea native to northern temperate regions, having alternate simple toothed leaves, and nuts that are enclosed in a prickly husk.

b. The often edible nut of any of these trees.

c. The wood of any of these trees.

2. Any of several other plants, such as the horse chestnut.

3. A moderate to deep reddish brown.

4. A reddish-brown horse.

5. A small hard callus on the inner surface of a horse's foreleg.

6. An old, frequently repeated joke, story, or song.
Topic: The world today and... virginity
Posted: Monday, July 7, 2014 8:53:57 AM
Romany wrote;
The thing that has always bothered me is that, in order to consider chastity equates to purity the corollary must be that those who are not virgins are impure. This has always struck me as being somewhat unfair. One is advised that one's duty in society is to go forth and multiply yet, according to the doctrine of chastity doing this makes one impure. Have never worked out if that's exponential i.e. the more kids one has the more 'impure' one is.

And, Tov wrote in reply;
Rom, too much influence from the churches and their doctrines against women are behind the defilement of women and their sexuality,

This reminds me of a joke that was going around over 50 years ago when the Roman Catholic Church was against any form of contraception. There is more detail in the 'telling'.

Please note that there is no malice intended in this, it is purely a product of the era. (If admin consider it 'inadmissible' then they can delete it).

Two catholic priests were walking in town when they encountered a woman wheeling a pram with 3 infants in it, and, another 6 kids following.
"Good morning to you" said one priest, "what a fine catholic family you have there".
"Thank you father" said the woman, and, added that she had another 6 kids at home.
"Bless you my dear, what a fine example you are to your faith".

A bit further on the two priests encountered another woman with a couple of babies, and another 4 in tow.
"Good morning to you" said the priest, "what a fine catholic family you have there".
"Thank you father, but, I am not catholic you see".
"Oh!" said the priest and walked on, turning to his fellow priest, saying, " *@#$# Protestant sluts".

tunaafi, re your last post. Surely you jest. Shocked?
Topic: Bobbing up again
Posted: Monday, July 7, 2014 8:22:06 AM
Um! As I see it, the indomitable Romany would not be tilting at the same moving part of the windmills that Quixote foolishly did.

She would aim at the tower and knock the whole bloody thing clean over. Dancing
Topic: Ebola virus
Posted: Saturday, July 5, 2014 8:32:17 AM
Romany wrote:
Tov.,

Yes, it was such a horrible experience it still makes me cry if I even come across a photo of Monkey.

And I never saw any wild-life whatsoever in China, let alone fruit bats. It's too industrialised. Or else hasn't recovered from the Great Famines enough for wild-life to proliferate.

No. I don't remember hearing about Vic Rail and his horses, so I must have been in China then (2006 - 2013)?

Was in 1994 Romany. The two links will give you an idea of what was experienced.
Australia has lost a couple of top vets, plus a vet nurse, to this virus.

He was a very down to earth dinkum guy, quote:

"As you slide down the banister of life, you are bound to pick up a Splinter or Two in your Arse " - Queensland Horse Trainer Vic Rail.

http://www.queenslandhistoryofracing.com.au/people/vic-rail/

http://www.news.com.au/national/mystery-virus-fells-trainer/story-e6frfkp9-1225704641469

Topic: Back from thearpy
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 1:51:02 AM
Good to see you back posting Paul.Applause

Greyfriars Bobby is a well known example of an animals feelings and devotion.

Although the authenticity is questioned, I believe that the facts speak for themselves, after all, why would a statue and a headstone have been erected long before any 'doubters' came along?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars_Bobby

This statue was erected the same year that Bobby died.

Topic: Gender Politics. Why are women in most societies treated unfairly?? Is there a solution to rectify t
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:34:59 AM
ithink140 wrote:
Get that bloody skirt off Ray and don a pair of trousers, and stop cranking up the battle of the sexes.... we are equal are we not? ( Tongue in cheek, and hoping that somewhere deep within you there is a sense of humour.)

Speak to the hand I hear that sex changes are on the cheap nowadays Ray. Now that I am an honorary Aussie I feel I can be frank and up front with you... speak in plain Aussie as it were.

Now is is that for being unsubtle, Ray?
(Careful, in your excitement you are repeating yourself).Angel

Sorry to inform you that you would not make any kind of Aussie, least of all an honorary one.Whistle

I do have a great sense of humour, just don't see the point in using it on someone who slags off as in the above post, and, tries to pass it of as 'humour'.

Sounds kind of twisted to me, but, I will not belittle myself by commenting further on it's content, I will leave others to judge for themselves as to whether it is humorous, or not.
Next comment please!
Topic: Gender Politics. Why are women in most societies treated unfairly?? Is there a solution to rectify t
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:19:32 AM
Ithink wrote;
To Ray: G’day me old cobber. I know you don’t like me, but me old pal Tovvy says I should try an’ at look at things through the eyes of women… that’s as maybe …but isn’t it about time you honoured your own sex just a little… we are not all bad you know.

d'oh! I am supporting the women because that is basically what this thread has evolved into.

If the same bigoted arguments, innuendo was used to bag men, then I would support them.

As for your comment: "I know you don't like me", that is a pure supposition as we have never met face to face. Also, I am not your "old cobber" as that is reserved for people to whom one has a personal friendship with.

Your attempted humour at writing 'strine' though, does demean all Australians. Seems to be a ploy of yours as it is not the first time that you have used this form of writing.
Your comment; "Tuffy old bean", is also meant to belittle the poster.
As for myself, I am comfortable where I stand in this world which is more than I can say for some who need dragging up from the 16th century, kicking and screaming into the present.
Nuf said.
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:15:06 AM
Tov wrote;

Thinky you have a propensity to fight for the under dog, well done you are now an honary Aussie.

Think Rescinded by order 'of all that is Strine'. Dancing

I will say, at the risk of again becoming subtly accused of one of those men who creep up to women’s lib and to women as if they are gods, almost like a Dickens character rubbing my hands together in an obsequious manner… being found as such, creepy. ithink says we have a them here on this very forum and they cry: ‘Chauvinism’ directed at men posters'

that; there are still a lot of **narrow minded bigots in this world that still believe that the only place for women is barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen.
Ignorance is still flowing strongly through those archaic chauvinistic minds.

Anyone who defends such chauvinistic posters is surely uncertain as to where 'their own actual belief lies'.

Angel It is difficult though, trying to make a point when dealing with male Jekyll and Hyde persona.Brick wall

** One only has to open ones eyes to see there is evidence every where that proves women are equal, if not better, in many domains previously thought to be the 'exclusive domain of men'.
A simple Google of 'women workers during WW2' would most likely fill a few pages.
Women in the factories and on the land during WW2 certainly proved that they can work machinery and run farms. Many worked as mechanics on aircraft engines which is a highly skilled and technical occupation.
In the large mines near here there are women driving 250 tonne ore trucks, operating drilling rigs, and, are selected on ability. In many cases they are deemed to be better as they are not prone to thrash the plant such as many males do. The engineers, geologists, etc. are evenly divided between male and female. The engineering shops that service the mine machinery have male and female welders, fitters and turners, lathe operators, etc. and the apprentice intake is based on merit, not gender orientated.
Some enlightened males recognise this. Others choose to live in denial.Sick
Topic: Men marry because they are tired; women because they are curious. Both are disappointed.
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 1:01:58 AM
Think If a curious woman married a tired man, then, obviously, they both would be disappointed.Whistle
Topic: Questionnaire on Accents in English
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 10:28:38 PM
Hi blakemcg .

Type 'English accents' in the forum search and you will find 20 pages from different OP's, and forum members, on that very subject.

No good me doing the questionnaire as I only speak 'strine'.