Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: histrionics
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:39:14 PM
As a definition for histrionics, being theatrical in overemphasis of manner is current usage, a derogatory meaning and more appropriate as a definition. I'd never say/write that I'm going to the theatre/er to see the histrionics and I wouldn't attempt to praise good acting performance as "good histrionics" -- not to an actor's face, at least!

As a synonym, drama is the best word that comes to mind and a "drama queen" in the current argot is someone prone to histrionics.

...formerly "webistrator" but I forgot my login -- sorry.
Topic: Iceland!
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:12:57 PM
Hey, then an extra portion of Hákarl and brennevin for everyone!Drool

Webbie in CO

Topic: ...19th century use of "zu Hause" -- ?
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 10:09:31 PM
OK, then the Colorado farmer's home is, as we say in The Colonies, a "long ways away".

Das geht (that works)!

Thanx, allerseits!

Milehigh

Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2015 7:40:11 PM
Ja, Stefan...mit "...von Zuhause.." gebe ich mich zufrieden und schluss. Es stammt aus 1860 in "Islaendische Volkssagen der Gegenwart" wobei viele Dinge "anders" ausgedruckt wurde als heutzutage.

Besten Dank fuer Ihre Muehe!

J. in CO/VS

Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 4:16:11 PM
Hallo, allerseits

I have a phrase/Ausdruck in German:

"...ein Bauer, der weit weg zu Hause war...

OK, is this "...a farmer who was far from home..." or "...a farmer who (was/felt himself) at home anywhere..."?

I expect that if it is the former then the text would be, "ein Bauer, der weit weg VON zu Hause (or zuhause) war...", so that's why I'm asking.

Nice to be back...thanks for any help!

Milehigh in CO/USA

Topic: "F.B."/"FB" auf einen Grabstein
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:54:19 PM
Hallo...

I'm looking for the meaning of a German or possibly Hungarian abbreviation "F B" on
this gravestone.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks!

Webbie in CO

Topic: Unknowing vs ignorant
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:52:41 PM
"He who knows not and knows not that he knows not..." -- unknowing. Shun him.
"He who knows not and knows that he knows not..." -- ignorant. Teach him.
".......knows and knows not that he knows..." -- asleep. Wake him.
".......knows not and thinks he knows..." -- a fool. Run like hell...

Or something like that...

J.

Topic: Icelandic: Sæmund's bet with the devil (of which there were many)
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:47:33 PM
uuaschbaer wrote:
I fall outside your criteria but doesn't abnehmen also mean to diminish? All power is with the Lord. His grace is undiminished? You'd probably know if it were the right translation but it sprung to mind.

Hey, that's possible! And of course it would fit. I guess I was looking for an absolute in "Aufnahme" (which isn't the best fit either, really). I'm going with "diminish" -- thanx!

thar wrote:
I do not know where your first verse translation came from, but botn is 'bottom' 'base' and also the head of a valley or fjord, and vatn is not just water, it is also any body of water - a lake or a river (like wasser or water, in lake names)!

Yes, and I'm confused by Saemund's unrelated response to the devil, there. In all his other encounters Saemund's answer related to the devil's puzzle verse.

So I'm going to let you look at the original text from Maurer's "Islaendische Volkssagen der Gegenwart...", p. 126, here:

http://www.archive.org/stream/islndischevolks00maurgoog#page/n143/mode/2up

-- that should bring up the Open Library reader to the correct page.

And now that I've re-read the two Icelandic verses, I see I had the devil's verse wrong and it should be "A mug of clean water has overflowed onto the floor/ground"...

It's wise for me to reread my work, eh? But the problem of the two verses making sense together is still there for me.

Cheers, and thanks to you both!

J.

Topic: Icelandic: Sæmund's bet with the devil (of which there were many)
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 9:57:00 PM
OK, I'm not really new here but a hiccup caused my older msg's. to be flushed.

Anyway, I'm translating an 1850's book by Konrad v. Maurer about Icelandic folklore and I think I've found (again) an error. I need someone who either knows Icelandic and/or the legends of the 11th-century Icelandic priest Saemund (aka, "the Learned") Sigfusson.

The story goes that Saemund and the devil had a wager that the devil could not come up with a Latin or Icelandic verse to which Saemund would not be able to immediately offer a second verse that rhymed. The stakes: Saemund's soul, naturally.

They went at it for a spell in Latin, and Saemund always had a rhyming answer. So the devil thought he'd try Icelandic, and shouted to Saemund:

Quote:
allt er runninn ú í botn
áttúngr með hreina vatn

-- "A small mug just ran out onto the floor with clean water" (OK, don't look for sensible here...)

And to this, Saemund answers:

Quote:
allt er vald hjá einum drottn
á hans náð ei verður sjatn

-- and according to the author this is, "All power is with the Lord; there is no taking/acceptance of his grace".

Do you see the problem here? That last bit doesn't, well, sound very Lord-like. I think the author or editor made a mistake when he used the word "Abname" (nowadays, Abnahme) instead of "Ausname" (modern: Ausnahme) because the latter means "exception". That would read more logically to my ecclesiastical eye.

So please -- can anyone either translate that last Icelandic bit, or tell me how the story really goes?

Much obliged!

J. in CO/US

p.s.: --sorry, I should have said that if "Ausnahme" is used then the translation would be ""All power is with the Lord; there is no exception to his grace" -- i.e., we're all candidates for it.

Topic: "Heckenmünze" vs. "Münzstätte" -- Synonyms??
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 6:00:55 PM
IMcRout wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I need some new trousers anyway.
Now where to go?

Well, if you're shopping you have to go to Iceland...See this for a lighter take on "necropants":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mOJO0mAHZw4

-- as they say, "one size fits all..."!

Cheers!

J. in CO

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.