User Name: thar
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 16,063
[1.87% of all post / 5.91 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is this a correct form of a sentence?
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 7:44:22 PM
No word inversion.

The long version (which you would almost never use) is a comparison of two SVO statements:
Jim loves Jane more than Tom loves Jane.

But you don't repeat the whole verb and object. If there is an auxiliary, you use just that. If there is no auxiliary, like here, you add 'do' as an auxiliary.

Jim loves Jane more than Tom does.
Topic: The active form of "don't believe it has to be installed"(Modal verbs, must, needn't)
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 7:25:07 PM
They just are what they are.

It is a lot to expect you to know hem all. That comes with repeated exposure to then in context.

When it is clear in a text what it must mean, it will gradually become easier over time.

These are structures where the meaning varies with the tense, or the specific word order. Native speakers growing up probably get them wrong a few times, but eventually they hear them often enough that a certain situation or context triggers a memory of which form to use.
They are potentially, confusing - but in time they will become clear with tbeir context.
I don't think you are helping yourself by trying to learn all the possible forms at once. Of course you are finding them confusing!
It might help you to think about what you are learning, and how much of it is helping you and how much is actually confusing you and holding back your learning.

I know, I am getting as boring as a ssong on repeat, saying the same thing sevel times.. But it is frustrating that you learn a form, and then complicate it, or start trying to apply a rule to more and more different things.
Topic: happen to - are these sentences correct?
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 5:18:49 PM
Ah, yes, good point.
I assumed this was practicing 'happened to be' and the meaning was understood, so I didn't emphasise it.

But it is expressing coincidence / chance / happenstance! Whistle Not what occurred / happened.
Topic: "As to" can precede the verb 'to be' (Idioms - discourse markers)
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 5:08:27 PM
But that is two different things.

'As to' is not the same as 'as for'.
They use different words to mean different things.

Your example is not the 'as to' in your definition because that meaning would make no sense there.

You have to look at the meaning. Not just the word order.

A definition is not a complete sentence, so it is not a good example when trying to understand grammatical structures.
The whole sentence structure would be:

...is not so _ as to be _

It is about degree. It is yet another structure.
The verb is 'to be'.
You need to look at the whole sentence and what it means. Picking up two words in isolation is just causing you confusion!

I must add my advice to Audi's.
Look at text examples where these things have context and meaning. Then you will understand when a structure is present, and what it is used to express. But you are bundling too many different things in together, here.

Short, common words like 'as' can be used in many different ways. It depends entirely on the context and the structure of the sentence.

Tfd has 'as' listed as an adverb, conjunction, pronoun and preposition - no rule is going to apply to all its forms!
Topic: happen to - are these sentences correct?
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 4:52:18 PM
No, but only because the tense of your verbs doesn't work.

I talked to her when her boyfriend turned up
Means
I talked to her after he turned up. Two simple past events.
So these don't make any sense. It is not coincidence if it happens as the direct result of another action.

I think what you mean is that while one thing is happening, something else happens.
So you need the progressive tense.

So you happened to be doing one thing when something else happened.
The structure emphasises that the two things are not related.
Topic: have (a)(the) flu
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 3:05:58 PM

The disease is 'influenza'.
Aka 'the flu'.

The influenza virus.
The flu virus.
Specific instance, definite article.
Or just because that was how it came to be known.

He has influenza.
He has the flu.
The flu is much simpler!

He had a virus.
He had a cold

Not indefinite not 'a flu' because it is the name, not an instance.
You can have several colds or several viruses. But influenza is the name of the virus.
(From Italian influenza - 'influence' - they though it was caused by astrological influence, then the influence of the cold - influenza del freddo.)

There is also pattern justification for calling it 'the flu' because it used to be the grippe (la grippe).
The common terms are sometimes definite articles.
Eg slang terms
Diarrhoea - the runs
Gonorrhea - the clap
Influenza - the flu - (not slang, even if it ever was. Now mainstream.)

Topic: I couldn't live in a big city
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 2:59:26 PM
Remember this is about power.

It is not about possibility - it is about ability.

And the subjunctive 'should' makes it a potential situation 'if.....'

I could live in a big city If I wanted to.
I could cope with the crowds and the concrete.

Or, the negative
I couldn't live in a big city, [even if there were good reasons to do so.]
I couldn't be happy with the concrete and the crowding.
I would hate it [if I were there].

Although, of course without context this could mean anything.
Eg, past of 'can'.
I was not permitted to live in a big city, even though I wanted to.
That is probably not what this sentence means - but you can't just look at the words and expect to know what they mean.
It is all about context.
Topic: Present or progressive form
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 12:46:23 PM
These are not sentences, and the instruction to 'identify' makes no sense.

It is impossible to guess what they want.

An expectation that you will play safely.

An expectation of you playing safely.

An order to "Play safely!"

Two words on their own could be used in many ways. They do not show a complete sentence.
That is not a question you can answer.
Topic: agriculture-engaging household
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:21:17 AM
These are not natural.

If you want an adjective, it would be 'farming' - a farming household.

But the more formal is what you are already using - a household engaging in agriculture.

But you can't make that prepositional and still express the same idea.
Topic: youth vs youths
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 6:21:32 AM
But, at least in BE, there is a distinct meaning to countable youths.

Youth meaning childhood is unperjorative - you have youth clubs and youth organisations.

But 'a youth' is used to mean a young man causing trouble.

eg
google
Quote:
a young man.
"he was attacked by a gang of youths"

cambridge
Quote:
youth noun (BOY)

[ C ] disapproving a boy or a young man:

Gangs of youths were throwing stones and bottles at the police.

oxford
Quote:
2A young man.

‘he was attacked by a gang of youths’
More example sentences
‘One youth aged 17, had been released from a four-month custody sentence for a racist attack on a Turkish worker at his Acomb shop only days before the incident.’
‘He relives his childhood as a lonely youth whose only human contact seems to be his parents.’
‘A second youth was struck in the head, reportedly with a chair.’
‘The claim was proved to be fraudulent and the youth received 200 hours of community service.’
‘Children and youths are our responsibility and it is us who are letting down our youngsters.’
‘The second youth was white, aged 13 to 14, about 4 foot four inches tall, dressed in a similar fashion with a dark blue or black woolly hat.’
‘A father of two was beaten to death as he confronted a gang of youths outside his parents' home.’
‘On the day of the attack, a gang of youths had marched into the school's foyer at lunchtime.’
‘The second youth has yet to learn of his punishment.’
‘The youth, filmed over a two-and-a-half hour period, wore a white handkerchief across the lower part of his face in an attempt to hide his identity from police cameras.’
‘A pupil at Wright Robinson Sports College is recovering from a knife attack by a youth as he left school.’
‘The set-up of the court is different from that for adults so the youth on trial feels more a part of the process.’
‘There were a gang of hard looking youths hanging around near the spot where the car should be parked.’
‘The second youth, probably seeking to rescue the first, was probably overcome by fumes as well.’
‘Police have taken action to stop large gangs of youths congregating on church grounds.’
‘The behaviour of gangs of youths has been making life a nightmare for some residents.’
‘But as a callow youth and a shallow adult, I turned to the Flat and frankly didn't much care for the jumps.’
‘Gangs of youths are making life hell for residents and traders in Rodbourne Cheney.’
‘Nuisance caused by gangs of noisy youths congregating in the alleys has also stopped.’
‘In an attack last weekend, an information board was targeted by a gang of youths.’

Some of these are just about age - one youth dying rescuing another, for example. And speaking about one specific person's life, such as 'as a callow youth..'
But most are about getting into trouble.
eg, a simple example
‘A pupil at Wright Robinson Sports College is recovering from a knife attack by a youth as he left school.’

The word carries connotations of anti-social or gang behaviour.

If you say 'youths' that is what comes to mind in British English.

So either the group noun
The youth of today......

or another word
Young people today.....

But not 'youths'.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.