Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 20,830
[2.16% of all post / 6.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Flags of the world !
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 12:35:59 PM
Happy national heroes day Antigua.

Flag of Antigua and Barbuda. Always struck me as a happy sort of flag.

Quote:
In 1966, a national flag design competition was held for the occasion of attaining Independence in Association with Great Britain on February 27th, 1967. There were over 600 entries, with Mr. Reginald Samuel winning the first prize of $500 for the best design.

He had entered the very last minute before the deadline, and made the design in only about half an hour. He rushed to buy an envelope to get the entry to the Administration building in time. Later he heard he had won! Mr. Samuel is an Antiguan artist, sculptor, painter and art teacher.

The winning design, together with the chosen anthem, coat-of-arms and slogan, was displayed on a board outside the Administration Building next to the Post Office, so the people of Antigua and Barbuda could see their future devices. That original board may now be seen as an exhibit at the Museum of Antigua and Barbuda.

The 7 point golden sun of the Antigua & Barbuda flag represents the dawn of a new era. The colour red, the life blood of slave forefathers and the dynamism of the people. Blue represents hope, black, the soil and African heritage and gold, blue & white Antigua's and Barbuda's tourist attractions sun, sea and sand. The "V" formed by the red borders represent: "Victory at last."

In 1994, it was decided that seven full points of the sun should be displayed for many as twenty had sometimes been shown! It has been suggested that these seven points should represent the six parishes plus our sister island, Barbuda, though the designer himself did not have this in mind.

This article courtesy of:
The Museum of Antigua & Barbuda and The Dockyard Museum.
Topic: I'm impressed
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 9:12:35 AM
If something impresses you then you consider it special, worthy of praise.

Quote:
impress1
verb

make (someone) feel admiration and respect.
"they immediately impressed the judges"

A surprise is just something unexpected.

Anyone can have a dream. But to have a dream within a dream - not many people can do that. I congratulate you on your ability! Applause

Of course here it is said in a joking manner.
Topic: Wait ages
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 8:52:24 AM
Yes, this may be a difference in regional English.

'wait hours / days / years / ages' is so standard in British English that I am sure that grammar books can't be describing it as incorrect.

eg The Times newspaper
(this is a unit of time, but it works in the same way as 'ages')
Quote:
This includes more than a million people waiting four weeks between booking an appointment and seeing the doctor,

From a teaching site (I don't know how respectable it is!)

Quote:
Phrase of the day: You wait ages for a bus . . .

To complete that phrase:
"You wait ages for a bus.... and then three come along at once." d'oh!

Edited to add:
From another newspaper, The Daily Mail (not entirely respectable but does use standard English)
Headline:
Quote:
You wait ages for a bus... then FORTY-THREE come along at once! Company shows off its new fleet with incredible convoy trip

The old adage might say you can wait an age for a bus before two turn up at once, but public transport users are unlikely to have ever seen anything like this before.

The spectacular sight of 43 buses snaking through the Yorkshire countryside greeted residents of Temple Newsam, West Yorkshire, today when a bus company unveiled their new fleet.
Topic: (some) milk
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 5:22:32 AM
Tara2 wrote:
Is "some" required in 1 and 2? If we delete "some" in each what is the difference?
1- I ran out of milk.

This, as you know, is correct. You have none of that substance left.

I'll go to the market and buy (some) milk.

Either would be possible here, but 'some' is probably more common. It is more natural to me.

buy milk:
It is obvious that by 'buy milk' you mean you will buy one or more bottles/cartons/bags of milk. IT means 'enough milk for our needs'.

It is more natural so give a quantity - buys some milk. Even though it is unspecified, it is not 'milk' as the substance in general.

2-I'll go to the market and buy (some) milk.
as 1

but if it is a list of 'substances', you would not use 'some'. Just for simplicity. It is fine just to name the substance.
eg
I am going to buy eggs, milk, bread, margarine, ice cream, a newspaper and some sweets

3- Would you like (some) milk with your tea

This is fine either way
because here 'milk' is an ingredient. You have milk or sugar in your tea - the substance.
So you are asking of you want that process to happen - adding milk / sugar / ice etc.
They will they add the 'normal' amount unless they ask more precisesly or you specify - 'just a little' or 'yes, I like it milky' to tell them how much.

But it is also a quantity - would you like some milk in your tea. So that is fine as well. And you can then also say how much.

So unlike 1 and 2, I think here just 'milk' is possibly more common but both are pretty much equal.

Topic: Ed
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 3:27:13 AM

I suppose you could go into meaning - a street doesn't have a dead end. It is a dead end.
Things are open-ended when their end is open. But here the end of the street is not 'dead'.

But I suspect the more useful answer is 'just coz'.
Topic: Wait ages
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 1:39:51 AM
No, 'ages' is a period of time and that can be a direct object of 'to wait'.

Topic: Maps & Graphics
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 4:56:04 PM

Now, which comes first....? Whistle
Topic: Usage of 'the' and its omission
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 8:47:36 AM
"The" specifies which people.

So in sentence 1 these two versions have different meanings.
You can specify "the people who love me". That is a specific group - your parents, your family, a few close friends.
But "people who love me" means anyone, if they feel and act that way.

In sentence 2, you can't specify 'the people who love animals' as a group, unless you have already mentioned them. So it doesn't work with a definite article unless it fits in that context.

It is not about right or wrong. The definite article adds meaning. So whether you use a definite article or not depends on the context, and on what idea you want to express.
Topic: In maths
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 7:19:35 AM
Where or when does a child learn about angles?

When people talk about school, what does it say on their timetable?
Maths? Or a maths lesson?

So where or when did they learn about angles? What does "maths" actually mean in this context?
Topic: tall/great heights
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 6:19:40 AM
Great heights.

Heights are not tall. A building is tall, but a height is a measurement

The height you reach is 1 foot or 30,000 feet. One measurement is greater than the other (30,000 > 1) but it is not taller than the other.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.