User Name: mangchilo
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: korean movies please..
Posted: Friday, October 8, 2010 4:21:18 AM
If you like Jae Hee then you should watch the movie '빈집.' Even though the Korean title means 'Empty House,' the official English title is '3 Iron,' so try searching for that. Jae Hee is one of the protagonists. It's a pretty good movie from several years ago. It's kind of weirder and darker rather than a romantic comedy, though.

Topic: 한국어 배우는 사람 없어요?
Posted: Friday, October 8, 2010 4:04:47 AM
^
junkim님이 도와주시고 격려를 해주셔서 감사합니다. I just happened to look back here after months and lo and behold, 며칠 전에만 대답하셨군요! The English was helpful, too. 설명을 다 잘 읽었어요.

한국사람이나 한국계 미국사람이나 아니고 백인이라지만 제가 중학생이었을 때부터 지금까지 조금씩조금씩 배웠으니까 이젠 이런 한국어 실력이 생겼어요. 백인이기 때문에 한국말을 하면 한국사람들은 언제나 깜짝 놀라요. ㅋㅋ 할 수 없지 뭐...

맞아요, '암튼'이라는 단어가 '아무튼'의 약자였죠. 그런데 게으른 일인 것 알아요. 인터넷 약자도 구어체 약자도를 쓰는 짜증스러운 버릇이 있나봐요.

한국말을 하는 게 정말 어려운데 지금 대학 한국어 과목을 또 듣고 있고 배우기를 꼭 포기하지 않을게요. 저에겐 글쓰기보다 말하는 게 훨씬 더 어려워요. 발음이 나쁜다는 뜻이 아니고 얘기할 때 맞는 말을 빠르게 생각하며 말하는 뜻이에요. 정말 잘할 수 있어도 너무 긴장되서 한 마디도 할 수가 없어요, 가끔! 어떤 난처한 실수 할지도 모르니깐요.

P.S. 괜찮지만 저는 'guy' 아니라 여자거든요! ㅎㅎ

P.P.S. 여기도 무슨 실수가 있는가요? 좀 알려주세요.

Topic: Which should i say?
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:06:55 PM
worldsclyde wrote:
another "by the way", say "math", not "maths".

Actually, I believe that "maths" is perfectly acceptable outside of North America. I've seen it many times from Brits, Aussies, and Singaporeans, though it sounds very strange and wrong in American English. From the use of the word "flat," saying "maths" seems the right choice for the main dialect the OP seemed to be using.

Unfortunately, I think the selection of a lot of these words depends on the speaker's dialect, and (more fortunately) many of the word pairs work either way for me. Here's how I would say them (American English):

In/At
Do you live in Bluberry Apts?
I've got [an apartment] in Bluberry Apts.
Meet me in / at the shopping mall in an hour. --Either works for me, but if I say "in," I mean specifically inside, while "at" could mean either inside or outside of the mall.
I studied at The Modern High School, Warwick University.

Noise/Sound
My shoes make this funny sound / noise when they're wet/damp --Both pairs work for me with either word.
Don't make a loud noise / sound when you enter the room. --Either way is fine here, too.
They talked so noisely[sic]. --Sound fine to me, but should be spelled "noisily," as another poster has pointed out.
They were talking noisely[sic]. --Also fine, minus the minor spelling error.

Problematic
Today is / was a problematic day. --To me, the choice of word depends on whether the day is seen as still very much in progress with plenty of potential to get still more problematic (it still is a problematic day), or is being described in retrospect near the end of the day (it was a problematic day, but I think that the problematic part of the day is over now).
She is a problematic child/person. --It depends very much on the age of the person in question. If he or she is an actual child, then I would nearly always say "She is a problematic child," but in the case of a teenager or adult, I would definitely say "person," since the word 'child' clearly does not apply.
He is such a problem. --Fine.
Math(s) is my problem area. --Fine in British English and several other dialects. It's fine in North American dialects if you just take away the 's' in "maths."

At/By
They were bewildered at her/by her statement/way of thinking/behaviour. --I think both are fine, but I would say "by," generally.
He was shocked at/by her behaviour. --Same thing as the previous one.
We don't have anyone by/with that name. --Write "anyone" as one word, first of all, and either "by" or "with" is fine, but I would usually say "with," personally.

Stays/Lives
Difference bet. “She stays with her mother” & “She lives with her mother”. Does "stay" mean temporary and "lives" permanent?
--Lives does sound somewhat more permanent, yes.

Near/In/On
My house is near RL lane. --Fine.
My bungalow is on/in SW street. --In American English, this one is always "on."
I live down this lane/on this street. --Either one works, but "on this street" is more common in North America.
My apartment is on that road/near that road(by-lane). --Well, it depends on whether it's actually on the road or just near it. In the context I think is being used here, though, I think it's pretty much always "on" in American English. "Near," to me, makes it sound like the apartment is on another street that's near the road I'm talking about rather than along that same road. Americans might also say it's "off of that road" if the apartment is more or less along that road but set back from it a ways.
This is where he lived (in). --In American English, this sounds wrong with the word "in" at the end. It would sound perfect as just "This is where he lived." The addition of "in" sounds a bit rough and not so well-educated in American English, as if the person misspoke.
Don't walk in/on the driveway. --Either one.
in/on the campus
in/on a sprawling area of
Topic: 한국어 배우는 사람 없어요?
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 2:41:46 AM
아니요, 저도 있는데요~ 여러분 안녕하세요? 캐나다에서 공부하는 미국인이에요. 한국말을 좀 공부한 건 물론이죠 ^^ 하지만 아직도 한국말을 잘못하고 더 배워야 돼요. 앞으로 부탁 드리겠습니다~

ㅋㅋ 암튼, 이제 도와주시고 있는 분이 없나요? 제가 질문을 하고 싶은데요...

첫번째 질문: 위에 써있는 것들 중에 어떤 실수가 있나요?
두번째 질문: '을/ㄹ텐데'라는 말은 어떻게 영어로 번역이 돼요? 무슨 뜻인지 잘 몰라요.

잘 알려주세요! (한국어로도 영어로도 대답해주시면 좋겠지만 제 모국어는 영어이니까 영어로 할 대답을 더 쉅게 이해할 수 있을게요.)
Topic: "try and" vs. "try to"
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 1:22:16 AM
I know this topic is more ancient than the hills in forum years, but I couldn't just let this one rest when I stumbled across it. People from other English-speaking countries just seem to love blaming anything they think is non-standard English on Americans, but the other posters in this thread (and my own original assumption) were wrong, as it turns out. We had it backwards.

This study (and others) actually found that "try and" is about three times more common in spoken British English than in American English, and also nearly five times more common in written British English than in written American English. In fact, they even found that "try and " is much more common than "try to" in colloquial British English. Read it for yourself if you don't believe it! I was surprised myself. Looks like you can't foist this one off on us, after all, Brits and Aussies! Also according to the study linked, the correctness of "try and" is often considered to be somewhat dubious in all forms of English, but the form has been around for quite some time, apparently, and appeared in American English significantly later than in British English. It's hard to argue that something said so commonly is really non-standard usage in spoken English, if you ask me. Just don't write it in a formal article or paper in any country if you don't want the Grammar Preservation Police down your necks.

Well, you learn something new every day.