User Name: oxjox
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 45
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The "S-word" in YOUR media?
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 12:43:08 AM
I have a friend who is a black belt in judo, a successful teacher creating a new curriculum in a private school; in short, he's a man who does not have a problem with self-confidence. But when he sees a spider he has to run out of the room in fright, and is even known to ask his mother to swat it with a newspaper and remove the corpse before he will re-enter the room.

I've always found it funny how people can be capable of so much, yet trip over on the smallest, most insignificant little details. I suppose every elephant must have their mouse.
Topic: What is the significance of surnames?
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 7:36:07 AM
Japanese historically did not have family names unless they were samurai (nobles). When the Meiji restoration came about around 1868, it was decided that everyone should choose a family name. A lot of people just described the location they lived in. So the Hayashi family (林= woods) or the Mori (森= forest) probably lived next to the forest. A Nakamura (中村=Inside-village) might have had his house away from the outskirts of town, etc. Also, since a lot of people had the same idea, there are plenty of people that had the same name but aren't tied to the same family tree.

Also, I hear they've only had surnames in Thailand for 100 years or so.
Topic: Monarchy in Commonwealth realms
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:07:29 PM
There was a news post in New Zealand media recently that is relevant to this topic.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/8070065/Bill-for-Charles-and-Camillas-visit-766k

You can see the division of interest in the comments at the bottom.
I personally don't care about New Zealand or the British monarchy. It might be interesting if New Zealand became a republic, but it's simply not financially possible yet.
Topic: what could "it" mean?
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:27:48 PM
Heard of this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWgphYPf0PA

"It" may help your understanding of the use of the word "it". Or "it" may confuse you further.
Topic: 1-11-11
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:31:54 AM
It only means as much as you force it to mean. Today is only as special as you make it.

There is a different calendar based on duodecimals that has 36 day months.
The epoch was 24,332 days ago.

It is currently the 32nd day of the 4th month in the 56th year of said calendar.

Even the order of the numbers is situational. Should it be arranged Day/Month/Year (like in Commonwealth countries) that would make it 32/04/56. Almost in order...!

Just because the Gregorian calendar is used mostly everywhere, it shouldn't give any undue meaning to some vertical dashes bunched consecutively.
Topic: NEW LIFE!!!
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:29:42 PM
Now all we have to do is develop an advanced evolution ray and use it on them to turn them into complicated life-forms, then wait until they become sentient.
Then we can ask them what their take on the Israel-Palestine conflict is.
Topic: Interview with Currently Deployed Soldier In Iraq
Posted: Friday, November 5, 2010 4:50:11 PM
That's quite nice to read actually.

That would have to be the most lucid definition of what America is doing in Iraq that I have heard.
Topic: What's your favorite on line free game?
Posted: Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:01:10 PM
I also like Freerice.
I'm a bit of a gamer so I know lots that aren't quite free.
But simple, totally free games that anyone (kids too) can play? I can think of a few.

Farragomate is an "arrange-the-words-in-a-funny-way" game. The site I used to use appears to be down but if you google Farragomate you should get something similar.

The other one is Robot Unicorn Attack. It's a twitch platformer on the Adult Swim website. Not all the stuff on the site is suitable for kids, but this game is fine.

Also, thanks wercozy for that second game. Not American but I've wanted to learn the US states. The first link doesn't work for me??
Topic: Schleswig-Holstain-Gottorp-Romanow
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 10:42:10 PM
Looking through the OP's posts.... I have figured it out.

This is a sentient virus that lives in a web-translator!

Creepy.
Topic: America is a free country!!??
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 10:31:55 PM
To restart the topic anew...

I also keep 'big-picture' nightmares of the same sort as in the OP video link in the back of my head to replay when I am in the right mood.
However, I don't feel that these kinds of "societal collapse" type scenarios need be as scary or as impending as some make them out to be.

The issue lies where the individual meets government.
Government is a bit like a religion in that the power comes from your tribute to it.
If we stopped reading our bibles or qur'ans, what power would some noisy old man in an ugly building have to boss us around and tell us where women can and cannot put their left hand?

In much the same way that any religious fanatic gives up his right to having a free mind and throws his faith at some medieval apparition, we pay taxes to the government.

I suppose churches are different in that they don't have armies that will shoot us if we stop eating their crackers and telling our secrets to paedophiles (though perhaps some do).
In fact these days it is quite normal in some parts of the world to say that religion is just not what people do "these days"; though in spite of this, it is still as morally as it is "legally" wrong to disbelieve in government. Avoiding paying one's "due" taxes or crossing the street at the wrong time both warrant a firm slap on the back of the hand from one's "betters".

I'm not going to say that we should all seceed and grow vegetable gardens, because I don't think anyone who enjoys the luxuries of cell-phones and air travel is really ready to buy back their soul. But it is a good idea.