Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 11
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Your emotions and music
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 6:33:10 AM
Yorker wrote:
Ambibha Murthy has a thread 'Music - the seventh sense.' I thought we could stretch this a little further and hear the music that moves you emotionally. We are from all different cultures and languages here on TFD, to post a recording of your particular favourite piece of music would be interesting for others to hear and please, let us know how it makes you feel when you listen to it.

For me, Mahler's 5th Symphony, especially the Adagietto, is the most beautiful, poignant classical music ever written. I have heard this symphony many, many times and yet I still have the same response. The music washes over me, it evokes feelings of unhappiness and longing for something I cannot express in words, it brings a lump to my throat and I cry and it is totally draining. How does it make you feel?

This recording of Herbert von Karajan with the Berlin Philharmonic is probably the best of all time.

Mahler 5th Symphony 4th movement, Adagietto
part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUatY-id-xQ&feature=related
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEDFL754ZQ&feature=related

Mahler's 5th is exquisite.For me Bach is a favourite.I listen and I am taken to an other world.Superiority, deep feelings, meditation.
Topic: Coke or Pepsi?
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:16:37 PM
grammargeek wrote:
I agree with those who said neither. They are both way too sweet for me.

I would only say that although I find pepsi less satisfying, both are nothing but something like an addiction. If you analyze the whole thing there is no real taste really.Try any kind of mineral or naturally sparkling water with a slice of lemon, lime or some spearmint leaves added to it. Taste and pleasure is there, believe it or not.
Topic: Appreciation Letters
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:02:00 PM
Vickster wrote:
A Teacher for All Seasons

A teacher is like Spring,
Who nurtures new green sprouts,
Encourages and leads them,
Whenever they have doubts.

A teacher is like Summer,
Whose sunny temperament
Makes studying a pleasure,
Preventing discontent.

A teacher is like Fall,
With methods crisp and clear,
Lessons of bright colors
And a happy atmosphere.

A teacher is like Winter,
While it’s snowing hard outside,
Keeping students comfortable,
As a warm and helpful guide.

Teacher, you do all these things,
With a pleasant attitude;
You’re a teacher for all seasons,
And you have my gratitude!

By Joanna Fuchs

Life is all these actually. You must learn to survive and dance at the same time.You have to know that being human and acting in a humane mode is what life is for.There is a huge difference between being alive, just functioning and using your brain and sensitivity to act in a way where your senses together with wit make you be the superior human being.
Topic: "Love means never having to say you're sorry."
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 3:58:50 PM
grammargeek wrote:
owlishmonstrosity wrote:
"Love means never having to say you're sorry."
Well...?

I read Love Story when I was a young teenager. That was probably the first time I'd read a book that absolutely brought me to tears. My mother heard me sobbing and came into my room to see what was wrong, and I remember how embarrassed about it I was at the time.

Nevertheless, the line you quoted is one I never really understood. So many years have gone by since I either read the book or watched the movie that I can't remember now if it somehow made any sense in context. But as a stand alone line, "Love means never having to say you're sorry," seems hollow and useless at best, and just plain contradictory to the truth of loving relationships, at worst.

Having both seen the film and read the book too, I would only say that the real meaning of this line can only exist within the concept of the specific plot. For me one would certainly feel the depth of these words in the relationship Oliver and Jenny had, the way they felt for each other and how things were really for them then. They had the kind of love which did not ask for any kind of forgiveness. It does not necessarily apply to all or other relationships no matter how deep love can be. We certainly do not fall in love and remain in love in the same way. And I definitely believe there are affairs where love and the link is so strong that saying you are sorry is an alien word,it would not fall in with the whole atmosphere.It is both the intimacy and the bond that takes the partners to an advance level where such words would only interprete procedures of low standards.
Topic: Non-American Literature
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:02:16 PM
Joseph Glantz wrote:
uuaschbaer wrote:
Gore Vidal recommends Italo Calvino. I'm still waiting for the paperback of The Complete Cosmicomics to be released, which is in three days, therefore I can't give you my opinion on the writer but I'm sure that one would rather have Vidal's anyway. I don't believe there is an American production of the same book however, because rights are scattered, so you would have to import it if you would want to read it too.
I recently finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, which was very enjoyable. It requires a slight lack of taste however, since it's filled with humour.

Calvino is great. His "Invisible Cities" is a masterpiece.

I certainly agree that Italo Calvino is unique.He was a man who wrote literature, was intellectual,could create fiction and make readers really feel how inspired he was and how deep his thoughts could be.Icould only recommend his book.
Topic: The next day for the European Community countries
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:34:17 AM
Everything is back to normal. All demonstrations, riots and vulgar protests have ceased. People have the feeling they have been let down by the former and present governments, they are worried about the future and it is obvious that all this mess is not directly associated with the international financial crisis. It is initially and certainly basically the procedures, choices and enigmatic strategies all those people who we chose to be our leaders through the years used, deceiving and aiming at political benefits and bearing a way of considering situations far from realism just because it did not suit them in any way one might consider it.
one who has the chance to read the times.co.uk can clearly get the impression of what it was like to be a citizen of Athens some days ago.
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 9:44:53 AM
The financial crisis is a fact for the European countries. Greece has been led to total collapse by its leaders and their choices, we have been cheated and exploited. The country is on the verge of bankruptcy, innocent people are killed. Austerity measures is the means to prevent total destruction.if our society, our government do not change drastically sooner or later we will all realize there is no way out.
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 4:12:29 PM
...and so now what?have not really had any pieces of good news...
are we european citizens to persevere or suffer and pretend we lack the ability to comprehend .Perhaps it is best to remain silent and endure. History has a lot to teach.
Topic: Election Day in the UK
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 3:33:25 PM
Excellent!
it certainly falls in with what is taking place in European countries right now. A rather extremely nasty experience!!
For the moment Mr. Brown is back at 10 Downing st.
Topic: Happy Mother´s Day!
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 9:15:22 AM
Mother's day could be any day actually.