User Name: Rhizome
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 20
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Pub Landlord
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:31:36 AM

For me, a pub is somewhere you go to get pissed.

God, I miss living in England.
Topic: A cold wind, cold winds
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:42:56 AM

Yeah, excaelis - that's pretty much what I got from it.

I would take it as [and let's say I'm reading it as part of a novel] -

A. A cold wind blew across the river from the east.

To me, this gives the feeling of, of course, a single wind - but the focus is on the wind. In my minds eye I'm following the wind across the river / the wind is taking me across the scene being described.

B. Cold winds swept the plains.

Ok, and this is, to me, giving the feeling that the plains are the focal point, and the cold winds are just moving [sweeping] across something large and desolate, somethnig otherwise quite still.

Topic: What's everyone reading?
Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:27:41 AM

Reading this right now -

Really liking it so far. It's reminding me of a few different things - my initial feeling was a little if David Foster Wallace had written Gravity's Rainbow kinda thing, with a little Deleuze and Guattari vibe in the first chapter. The guy's really got his own voice, though, and as I read more I wouldn't say that such comparisons are so, y'know, fitting.
Topic: the Verb to use for consuming cigarette
Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:20:39 AM

Also, lug is used in informal British English as a countable noun with the verbs give and have to mean have a puff on someone's cigarette.

For example - Go on, give me a quick couple of lugs on that fag.
Topic: Me OR I
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:13:14 AM

I love it when me is used in place of my in BE.
Topic: Interjections
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:24:36 PM
Saucy
Topic: Interjections
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:24:05 PM

Swish
Topic: Our Crazy English Language
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:23:11 PM
Gayatri Menon wrote:
Yes, indeed, Isaac, i am a transported Anglophile too, and love the intricacies of the English language. Also, interesting to note that French is as homogenous as Russian -- my Russian friends always talked about the purity of their language !! Love this forum and all the members' contributions. Have a happy day, everyone...........

Man, I have a feeling those Russian friends of yours might be pulling your leg a little!

I've met a number of Russians [I live in Moscow] who like to speak in great detail about how Russian is the richest and most beautiful language in the world*, but even with my level of Russian I can see that it has no problem whatsoever with borrowing heavily from other languages.

* Just how one measures the richness of a language, I will never know.
Topic: Indie/Classic Rock
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 1:00:00 PM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I've tried to figure this out for decades:
under what genre would you put this?

King Crimson - Lizard (part1 10min) (part2 10min) (part3 4min)

It was certainly not mainstream music back in 1971, not even today ;-)

I'm going with Prog for King Crimson.
Topic: Logic Behind Tenses
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 12:56:52 PM
abcxyz wrote:
teacherwoman wrote:
I started a lengthy explanation but then I found this site which puts it all in a nutshell:

http://www.helsinki.fi/~mpalande/meaning_of_tense_and_aspect.html

An excerpt from the article:
Consider the meaning of the following sentences with the simple form as opposed to the perfect(ive) form:

We lived in London for two months in 1986. (complete) / We have lived in London since last September (and still do.)

I would write the second sentence as 'we have been living in London since last September' if I intend to imply that I'm still living there. Is there any difference between the two sentences?

LIVE

WORK

PLAY

These three verbs can be used with present perfect simple or present perfect continuous with no real difference in meaning at all. A native speaker would usually opt for the continuous.

Other verbs start giving massive differences in meaning.