Interests: English language
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,052
[0.12% of all post / 0.35 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: England is out, Novichok in the FIFA World Cup Final
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 10:32:25 AM
When I saw the subject line I thought someone had used the nerve agent on the World Cup in Russia.

I don't know if the article tile is intentional or accidental. It can be interpreted as a pun. "Novichok" can be translated as "newbie", and that newbie is Croatia, first time in a World Cup final.
Topic: NATO dance, a cartoon
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 2:44:20 PM

(Toronto Star)

It's strange that the author didn't show Angela Merkel in the cartoon. Trunp's harshest words on the NATO meeting were against Germany, "a captive of Russia".

The funniest guy in the cartoon is Validimir. Look at his facial expression, at his gesture. He's entertained by the scene.
Topic: seeker
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:00:12 AM
Topic: then president vs then-president
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 1:43:13 PM
thar wrote:
Quote:
Craig was born in 1959 to Tina Turner and then-boyfriend Raymond Hill, a saxophonist for the Kings of Rhythm band.

If you didn't have the hyphen he would be born twice, to one person after another! Whistle

Hi thar,

I think the definite article resolves that.

"Craig was born in 1959 to Tina Turner and the then boyfriend Raymond Hill, ..."
Topic: Regular Friends vs. Puerto Rican Friends …
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 2:19:29 PM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
perhaps I am a little strange

A little!

I'm kidding, Sarrriesfan, you are not strange. You're the Gary Cooper of this forum.
Topic: He is talking on the telephone.
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 12:29:44 PM
NKM wrote:
But, to answer the primary question: Yes, we do still say "telephone", even though in casual speech "phone" is more common because it's shorter and easier to say.
Either "phone" or "telephone" can be used as a generic term, whether the actual connection is through a landline, cellular network or some other medium.

This is a nice summary with which I agree. I don't see any contradiction with what Drag0nspeaker said.

Here is an excerpt from a recent article in the Atlantic magazine.

Why No One Answers Their Phone Anymore
Telephone culture is disappearing.
Alexis C. Madrigal
May 31, 2018

"The telephone swept into Americans’ lives in the first decades of the 20th century. At first, no one knew exactly how to telephone. Alexander Graham Bell wanted people to start conversations by saying, “Ahoy-hoy!” AT&T tried to prevent people from saying “hello,” arguing in Telephone Engineer magazine that it was rude.

But eventually, Americans learned to say “hello.” People built a culture around the phone that worked. Etiquette magazines tried to prevent women from inviting people over for dinner via telephone, then gave in. The doctor got a phone, so the pharmacist got a phone. It didn’t happen quickly, but it happened. And once it was done, during my childhood, these social customs sat between me and this raw technical artifact—the handset, the curly cord connecting it to the base, the wires running across the nation, coming together in vast switching stations, amplified, multiplexed, and then branching back out to the other cities, other neighborhoods, other blocks, other houses."
Topic: Regular Friends vs. Puerto Rican Friends …
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 7:00:01 PM
Thanks, hedy mmm, and leonAzul for your responses. I'll have on mind your food suggestions.

Today, I accidentally ran into this photograph.

Puerto Rico Day Parade, New York City (1963) (CNN)

'Joel Meyerowitz, a pioneer of color photography. Reminiscing about this shot from in the early '60s, he said: "The four girls stood in a doorway primping and
getting ready to walk in the parade. Seen against the dreary buildings, they were like tropical flowers bursting into color."'

This is an arresting photograph of beautiful girls and NYC fashion from the 60s.
Topic: North Korea nuclear summit – cartoon
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 7:42:19 PM

(Politico, magazine)
Topic: A cheque , the sum of
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:48:18 PM
The use of "the sum of" and "a sum of" to specify an amount of money is confusing.

The Webster dictionary gives this example:
1. I paid the sum of $500. (my emphasis added)

But I also found these examples, in other sources:
2. According to Huffington Post reporter Ryan Grim, The California Beer & Beverage Distributors became the first "competitors" of marijuana to enter the debate, contributing a sum of $10,000 to the Public Safety First, a committee organized to oppose the proposition. (The Atlantic)

3. Accounting firm RSM Richter, the interim receiver for Jones, says he took out almost $3 million in payments from his company as well as $593,000 for his children's schooling and other expenses, $169,000 for car purchases, and a sum of $497,000 that was later transferred to Bermuda. (The Toronto Star)

4. That deal included a sum of $3 million, or about three cents a share, and an additional $1 million to cover legal fees, according to court documents.
The Toronto Star
Topic: It had been one of those kinds of days
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 11:21:07 AM
One Of These Nights

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.