User Name: coag
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: English language
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,070
[0.12% of all post / 0.34 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Oh, be humble, my brother, in your prosperity! Be gentle with those who are less lucky, if not more deserving.
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 11:00:47 AM
‘Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,’ he told me, ‘just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had
the advantages that you’ve had.’ (F.S.F.)
Topic: Spinsters
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 12:07:09 PM
Daemon wrote:
When was the term finally replaced in the legal documents of the UK?

‘Spinster’ and ‘Bachelor’ Were, Until 2005, Official Terms for Single People

By Kat Eschner
Smithsonian.com
September 14, 2017

On this day in 2005, England and Wales stopped using the terms “bachelor” and “spinster” to describe unmarried people on official documents, as they had done for decades prior. “As part of the Civil Partnership Act, these somewhat quaint terms will make way for a new catch-all description for unmarried men and women: ‘single,’” the BBC wrote at the time.

PS

Were "spinster" and "bachelor" used in legal documents in the US? I would guess, yes. When were the terms replaced in the US legal documents?

I visited the US in 1980 and, as far as I remember, the word I saw in the forms I filled was "single", never "spinster" or "bachelor".
Topic: Bear-Baiting
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 8:09:15 PM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
Absolutely disgusting.

I agree. Who coul watch something like that?

People can be so cruel. I remember when I read about the killing of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and his family, by Bolsheviks. That new rulers kill the old ruler, that's not unusual. That they kill their spouses, that, too, is not unusual. But why they killed Tsar Nicholas' children-- the youngest child was age 13. I've always thought that was cruel.

Some time ago I read about executing people in the brazen bull. What a horrific execution.
Topic: Eye read
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:14:24 PM
Thanks, thar, for your response.
Topic: Eye read
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 1:31:27 PM
FounDit wrote:
No, this is not a common idiom. I've never heard it before, and it sounds silly to me. The whole article sounds like it was written by someone who is not a native English speaker. There are too many small mistakes.

(my emphasis added)

Would FounDit's text sound unnatural, to native speakers, if I substituted the emphasized fragment with one of the following fragments
1. I never heard it before
2. I'd never heard it before
Topic: put the hammer down
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 12:25:12 PM

Smokey and the Bandit
Topic: Abba's English
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2018 2:32:49 PM
Hello all,

I wonder how does English in Abba's songs sound to native English speakers.
Can native English speakers notice, from Abba's songs, that it's nonnative English speakers singing?
Topic: "The English language's most successful export is a joke"
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 11:07:30 AM
The Hilarious History of OK

I thought this might be interesting to English enthusiasts in this forum.
Topic: Grammar jokes
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 4:57:59 PM
Here are a couple of "a _____ walks into a bar" jokes.

Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They converse. They depart.
A synonym strolls into a tavern.
The subjunctive would have walked into a bar, had it only known.
A dyslexic walks into a bra.
A verb walks into a bar, sees a beautiful noun, and suggests they conjugate. The noun declines.
A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, drinking to forget.
(GrammarBook)
Topic: old Paris/the old Paris
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 3:53:32 PM
I searched the Internet for similar examples. Here are two of the examples I found. (My emphases added)

Different parts of the U.S. receive vastly different amounts of sunlight, so a solar panel in sun-drenched Las Vegas will always be more productive than one in cloudy Seattle. (COCA)

In retirement from coaching, Jackson lived the celebrity life in sunny Los Angeles, basking in a record 11 N.B.A. championships, flirting with those who wished for him to return to the Lakers while knowing his age and physical limitations would not allow it. (COCA)

On the basis of that, I would write:
The screen shows a bird's eye view of old Paris.
that is, I would not use "the old Paris" in Helenej's sentence.

There are some other things that influenced my conclusion.

1) What does "the old Paris" mean? The Paris right after WWII, after WWI, in 1789? If it was, for example: This picture shows the Paris from the 1920s, I would be okay with "the Paris".
2) From what I could see, it's "ancient Rome" not "the ancient Rome".
3) The main character in The Catcher in the Rye refers to a fellow student, called Ackley, as "old Ackley", not "the old Ackley".
"I slid way the hell down in my chair and watched old Ackley making himself at home."

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.