Interests: English language
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,212
[0.13% of all post / 0.35 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: (a) heavy rain
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 4:37:47 AM
I did an Internet search and I wouldn't say that "a heavy rain" is incorrect. Here are some examples.

What the garden needs is a good, soaking rain.
A light/heavy rain began to fall.
(Webster)

A number of studies, including this one from 2010, have found that emergency room visits for gastrointestinal distress increase after a heavy rain.
(The Atlantic)
Topic: in (a) lawyerly fashion
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 7:51:40 PM
Here are two Webster examples:
His friends noticed that he was behaving in a strange fashion. [=behaving strangely]
We started the meeting in an orderly fashion.
Topic: slight
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 3:19:07 PM
Strange. There's no "annuated" (or "annuate") in: the Webster, Oxford, Cambridge, Collins, Longman, and COCA.

The Webster contains "annuation", meaning: "annual variation in the presence or absence or the abundance of particular members of a plant community usually relatable to annual climatic variation"

I like the word "superannuated", and I deem it useful. You can say to someone, for example: "Your coat is superannuated" and it doesn't sound bad. It sounds like "Your coat is nice, super"-- almost opposite of what "superannuated" means.

Among the words that are risky to me are: annual, annulus, anal, anus, onus. Every time I use one of these words ("annual" mostly), I have to pause and make sure that I'm using the correct one.
Topic: chopine
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 12:52:32 PM
"Chopine" reminded me of a famous Polish gentleman called Chopin.
Topic: research
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:54:41 AM
Thank you very much, thar, for your comments.
Topic: research
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 2:41:54 PM
"Research" in German is "Forschung".
I wonder if there's an English word which might have the same etymological root as German "Forschug".

I just checked the Internet. "Research" in Swedish, and Danish is "forskning", which, I would say, has the same etymological root as "Forschung".
Topic: spoon
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2019 10:17:59 AM
I had known what's a cochlear implant and I wondered in which way a spoon was related to that.

cochlear implant
A surgically implanted electronic device that can help provide a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing.

cochlea (n.)
"spiral cavity of the inner ear of most vertebrate animals," 1680s, from Latin cochlea "snail shell," from Greek kokhlias "snail, screw," etc., from kokhlos "shell-fish with a spiral shell, sea-snail, land-snail," which is perhaps related to konkhos "mussel, conch." Related: Cochlear.

cochleare
noun
Definitions:
1. (originally for extracting snails)
2. spoon
3. spoonful
Topic: The
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 2:16:35 AM
Thank you very much, FounDit, for your response.
Topic: doing something
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 7:01:10 PM
One of the reasons for the popularity of the word "task" among ESL speakers might be the Windows operating system. When your computer gets stuck, you activate the Task Manager and click on "End Task" to stop the application which caused the problem.

Topic: The
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 3:42:58 PM
These are interesting examples of the use of the definite article. Thanks, BobShilling, for posting them.

I wonder if the examples sound natural in American English. (I would be surprised if they didn't). Would AmE speakers use different wording in these examples? FounDit, NKM, and others, please, I would like to hear your comments.

A similar example that I found is: How long does it take on the bus?
(University of Toronto, Writing Advice)

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.