User Name: schrodinger's cat
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 639
[0.06% of all post / 0.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What's everyone reading?
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:16:08 PM
I have recently finished Psychoanalysis by Freud and am almost done with a bilingual (Spanish-Slovene) edition of poems by Pablo Neruda. Both are something special in their field.
Topic: To Investigate and To Make an Investigation.
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:51:23 AM
I can't give much of an answer based on that, but I think they mean the same.

Perhaps the word "invest" slipped off her tongue instead of "investigate", so she corrected it, using "make an investigation" to add clarity. Or she coughed/something caught in her throat and then she randomly changed the phrasing.

I also get the feeling (I don't know if it's correct), that it's more likely that "to investigate" will be followed by an object, while "to make an investigation" can more easily stand on its own. A native speaker may confirm or deny this.
Topic: Words not in oxford
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:41:59 AM
I have the abridged OED and only "anguine" is in it. One issue is the abridged, non-abridged edition and another is that new words keep entering language, which means you'd have to keep buying new dictionaries every year. Yes, it might be better to play it safe, but I can't really say what that would be in your case. Hmm.
Topic: Student of English literature
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:28:08 AM
I'm an English language and literature student as well, and I've been in the educational system for 16 years (not counting kindergarten), so I think I know something about it. I considered whether or not to respond to this post, because I may step on a few toes along the way, yet I think someone should give an objective assessment of the situation.

First of all, in all my years in school, I have never encountered a teacher/professor who would have it in for me specifically. Was I born under a lucky star? I think not. Nearly every other person I talked to had detailed accounts of how some teacher hated them. A few of these people were my classmates and I can say for sure that the mentioned teachers did NOT have a personal grudge against those students. What happens is that a student gets a bad grade, which is then naturally the teacher's fault, because God forbid the student should take responsibility for not studying enough. Another thing that often happens is that a teacher is not particularly fond of a certain student because he/she is unruly in class, doesn't do HW, study, etc. I can see that this is not the problem in your case, that aside, I believe the teacher should have the right to punish those who are not behaving and reward those who are behaving. Ex.: When a student is between two grades, he/she would get a lower/higher one.

Secondly, teachers have different teaching styles, methods and even personalities. Some are more strict and others more lenient. Since a teacher is also a person, he/she would often have some quirks or even faults. There is one professor at my University that has the reputation of a "dragon lady". Several students told me they'd rather took another written exam than an oral one, because they were so afraid to face her. She's very strict, will always correct your mistakes, even minor ones, when she happens to be in a very bad mood she can even yell at you. This year, I went to her office hours to look at an exam I failed. There were several of us in the room when she gave her comments. She, not in so many words, said that my test was a disaster, and after I noticed that she didn't write any points at one exercise and asked her about it, she said something akin to there would be no use, as I failed anyway and terribly so.

Was she out of line? I suppose we could argue about that, but I spent most of my Summer studying that subject and when I next took the exam, I easily passed it, with a good grade too. Personally, I'm glad that I have this professor again this year as she is a true expert in her field. As far as for occasional scoldings, yelling, "insults" goes, they are always well-deserved. There are other professors who would for example keep drilling for an answer when they see you falter Many students don't like that, because they think it's all about humiliating them. No, it's about teaching you how to think, how to find an answer to a difficult question quickly, and by correcting your mistakes, they help you to improve, because that's what they're there for.

I can't say whether you deserved the scolding, and I can't tell how good you are compared to other students, and even the professor, but I can say that you make awfully many grammatical and other mistakes and with your level of English, you wouldn't even pass the first year in my University, perhaps not even a highschool class of English. There is really no point sugarcoating this. The standards in your country may be much lower, I don't know about that, but do realise that you make a lot of mistakes. If I understood you correctly, your professor corrected everyone, but he was particularly harsh on you? That can be either because you made the most mistakes, or even because you were one of the best, and he wants you to improve even further. Either way, it's not necessary that it was because he hates you. Also, I'm one of the best students in the year and I still make a bunch of mistakes, and I still get corrected. How could I possibly compare with someone that has been studying a certain subject their whole lives? Of course, even professors may make a mistake every now and then, but in most cases they are correct.

Whichever of the possibilities is true in your case, the best you can do is to take it in stride. Consider his corrections and try to learn from them. Even if the professor is toeing the line of what is acceptable. If he insults you, ignore it. As I said, everyone has their faults. On the off chance that he crossed the line by miles, then you can write a formal complaint, but this is tricky. Even if you are right to do so, it doesn't mean it will be ruled in your favour. (Certain things can get swept under the rug quite quickly.) The professor might keep his position and the abuse would only get worse. So, I advise you to keep this option only as a last resort.

Topic: Short story
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:41:28 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Now I just have to sift through them. :)
Topic: Short story
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:45:20 PM
I have to write a paper on an American short story of my choice this year, so I was wondering if you have any suggestions (besides Poe). I like anything that is extraordinary, as in science fiction, philosophy, absurd, irony, etc. Something that makes me think, and of course, the story has to be written by an American author, that is, someone living in USA, when he/she wrote the story.

On a side note, if you know of a great story that does not follow the American criteria, mention it anyway. Perhaps I, or someone else would enjoy reading it as well in our spare time. :)
Topic: Literature Nobel 2010
Posted: Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:47:42 AM
Aww, I've been waiting for Murakami to get it for the past few years. I'll be rooting for him again next time, but there's so many excellent authors to choose from. Congratulations to the winner. Applause
Topic: do you know Macbeth,,,so join me
Posted: Monday, October 4, 2010 4:43:24 PM
I'll try to just give you a few key points, as I need to go to bed soon:

Shakespeare is a part of literary canon, which means it's played often and in many countries. As a consequences, many different adaptations arose, both, on stage and as movies, each having certain characteristics of its own. When you look at any literary text you must be aware that it does not only matter WHAT was written, but also WHERE and WHEN it was written, since any text represents the era and place in which it was written. People tend to seek parallels between the text and their own lives, or a more general situation in the country, etc. They will take one or more aspects with which they can identify themselves, and stress those.

I am not familiar with the adaptation you mentioned, but here's what you should do.
1. Read both texts.
2. Find the differences and similarities in the themes, environment, plot, etc.
3. Try to explain why those differences arose in regards to the time, place and other circumstances in which the adaptation was written.

As far as Shakespeare's sources went,off the top of my head, I think he used Holinshed's Chronicels of England, and possibly some texts on sorcery to write Macbeth.

Some other adaptations of Shakespeare's plays are Kurosawa's movies. The Throne of Blood is an adaptation of Macbeth set in the time of samurais. I have not seen the movie yet, so I cannot make any more detailed observations. There's also been several adaptations of Hamlet. In one, Hamlet was played by a woman, in another there were 3 actors who played the role of Hamlet, which was a physical representation of his split personality. As for how people found parallels between Shakespeare's plays and their own time, I can mention that some saw the rule of Julius Ceasar, in the play of the same name, as the rule of Communism in Russia and I think some other regime, possibly fascism.

That's just a few examples I can remember, but I'm sure there must be some literature with more of them. Hope this helps.

Topic: Names!
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:01:30 AM
Well, I suppose my nick is really not a mystery for those that know a bit about physics. You can read up on it here: schrodinger's cat

Apart from having read several physics books while in high school, the name also has a deeper meaning for me. It represents the countless possibilities, which although improbable, are still there. It means that hope truly is the last thing to die and there are no certainties. It means keeping an open mind, and acknowledging the wonderful diversity and coexistence of life as well as several contradictory characteristics in myself.

People often say to me, how can you be/have A and Z, but I'm a Schrodinger's cat. I can be everything I want to be and more. :)

I think that being aware of the box is the first step to being able to think out of the box.
Topic: "Making love out of nothing at all"
Posted: Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:07:32 PM
AnthA1G wrote:
Ok, I assume most of you have heard the song 'Making love out of nothing at all' by Air Supply. If you haven't heard the song before, you can do so HERE . Lyrics HERE.

But I don't know how to leave you
And I'll never let you fall
And I don't know how you do it
Making love out of nothing at all

But I'm never gonna make it without you
Do you really want to see me crawl
And I'm never gonna make it like you do
Making love out of nothing at all

I really like the song, but I just don't get the line "Making love out of nothing at all". What's your take on the matterThink ?

Oh, I love Air Supply! And I love this song! As far as I'm concerned, the meaning of that particular line is pretty straightforward. The guy doesn't understand how the girl could make him love her so much. "Making love" of course means making him love her, creating that emotion, in a way. And "out of nothing at all", that may well be an exaggeration because nothing can come out of nothing. There is a Latin expression ex nihilo that is usually mentioned in terms of creation that comes to mind. Sort of like, first there was nothing and then the universe emerged with the Big Bang or how life emerged out of "nothing".

The song also builds on oppositions: all of the things he knows . . . he has the answer to everything, yet he doesn't understand how she could put this spell on him. And it may just be that this mysterious power of hers is what makes him love her even more.

Well, that's how I always saw the song.