User Name: KenMac
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Only eight
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 10:46:18 AM
7 and 8 aren't much different, either, in the ONLY sentences.
Topic: Maths/ Logics problems!
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:54:34 PM
a=1
b=1

so

a=b 1=1 (true)
a^2=ab 1 squared = 1 x 1 (still 1=1 true)
a^2-b^2=ab-b^2 1 squared - 1 squared = 1 x 1 - 1 squared (0=0 also true)
(a-b)(a+b)=(a-b)b 0 x 2 = 0 x 1 (still 0=0 true)
a+b=b 2 = 1 (false, or mathematician, please explain)
1+1=1 2 = 1
2=1 2 = 1

I'd like to be daring and bet my 9 points on this.
Topic: Maths/ Logics problems!
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:42:31 AM
I think it goes wrong at step a+b=b. a+b=2
Topic: Car allergic to ice cream
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:01:36 PM
Way back in the day, visiting my grandfather in Ionia, Michinan, he told me he once had a Model T Ford. "Great car," he said, except when he'd go down the Union Street hill to the court house and the post office, he would always find the car would not make it back up the hill, unless he drove up in reverse. He had to back all the way up the long hill. As a kid vitally interested in mechanical stuff, I tried to figure out why that could possibly be. Lower reverse gear than forward? No. What else could it be. "Pop" didn't know. He only found it enbarrassing to be seen backing his car that long way home.

Years later, at an antique car show, I learned the true story. The Model T gas tank was under the seat. There was no fuel pump; gravity delivered fuel to the carburetor, so on the steep hill, the gas tank was lower than the carburetor and the fuel flow stopped. Reverse was a clever solution. Ford solved the problem with the Model A by putting the gas tank behind the dashboard. No hill was too steep then.
Topic: Quamquat/Orange
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:07:02 PM
Some glaziers left a panel of plate glass in a meadow. Not long after, a flock of birds were flying through the meadow on their way home. All but one flew into the glass and got knocked senseless. The lucky one flew on home and excitedly described his flock's tragic thrill flight. "It was amazing, the air just crystallized on them." The leader of the flock was skeptical, of course. "I doubt that," he said, "but we need to go check it out. Come on everybody, lets go." All but one shouted enthusiastically. The one said, "I think maybe I'll stay behind, if that's OK with you." "OK, be a lily livered coward if you must, but prepare to live in disgrace." "I understand, but I just think I'll stay here." All the other birds set out for the meadow, all ran into the glass and were knocked senseless.

Moral: He who hesitates is sometimes saved.

(Paraphrased from one of James Thurber's Fables For Our Time.)