Profile: Barbara
About
User Name: Barbara
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 9
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: He may not enter anywhere at the first, unless there be some one of the household who bid him to come, though afterwards he...
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:54:57 AM
i agree with you MarySM..
Moreover i find that line particulary interesting..
The first two sentences follow the general rules of politeness: anyone can enter a house if he's invited, but the third is quite weird.. who is allowed to "come as he please"? it makes you think of a robber or something, but he initially seems "normal", or into society rules.. This is exactly the point:he's not what he appears, he hides certain "qualities" that everybody knows even if they haven't read the book.. S. is giving us some clue but still keeping the mystery.
Or maybe, even if we don't consider the first lines comment the right one,we can even interpret it as "he comes to you if you provoke him", and this way the meaning is even more raw,brutal, so that you get more curious to his identity..
Stoker is a great writer, it's sufficient to read through his lines to find interesting details..
Topic: Día de Muertos
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 1:12:31 PM
Tambien a Italia se "celebra" en la misma manera que en Brazil
Topic: Leaning Tower of Pisa Begins Decade-Long Closure (1990)
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:15:19 AM
When i went to see it, a men told me it was an error of the architects, they built too small fuondations for the height of the constructions
Topic: From "The Great Expectations"
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:50:36 AM
I imagine Pip is speaking.. Estella can't be removed from his mind and heart as he can't displace the heavyer buildings of London with his own hands.

He won't never forget her
Topic: what does" The rose's rarest essesence lives in the thorn" mean?
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:57:45 AM
the evil side of nature is the one that really shows its essence.
Every man on earth has always been linked to evil it self, in the sense of sin, of selfishness, or simple seduction of not doing the right thing.
It's such a double-faced argument: evil(whose sound remotly remembers the word "ego"), we feel evil on one hand like repulsive,but on the other hand like temptation..
But falling in temptation is not always "repulsive", it can also be experience that teaches us what really means doing the right thing.
I agree with Coleridge on that

There can be said a lot of things on this topic. Great argument
Topic: Please do not shoot the pianist. He is doing his best.
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:04:25 AM
he was tring to warn the reader in a metaphorical way: he is the pianist, and his music is his writing.

Usually he states what he thinks in an "arrogant" way, i mean, it's sufficient to think about the aforisms, or his view of the figure of the artist(as for aestheticism), that's to say: the artist is the one that can understand the true meaning of art and give the other (normal peaple) a way to interpret it.
He has the same function of a messiah, and probably everyone would feel uncomfortable with it. With that phrase he's defending himself from any critics, trying to reorganize his position towards his public, becoming closer to it.
Topic: What three elements are necessary for a successful relationship?
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:28:37 AM
Too simple,you need only one thing: esteem .

Result: equitable relationship,respect,comprimise,trust,contributing in your partner's growth,attraction.

The perfect couple
Topic: What Beatle is your favorite and why?
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:59:33 AM
"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low.
That is you can't you know tune in but it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.

Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out.
It doesn't matter much to me."

This is poetry,this is art, it is not a simple successfull rock'n'roll song for its psichedelic and innovative soundings. That's why i love John, he cuold express and transmit his mood through everything he did
Topic: So wise so young, they say, do never live long.
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:00:56 PM
Contextualization is always good. It helps in focusing our attention on aspects we wouldn't have thought about. Expecially LadyRose wrote that to support her elaboration, it was necessary an introduction to link what she was trying to say.

That's why i love W.S., he's describing mankind,not simple stereotypes like Aristotelian tradition did,he wrote about attitudes that are common to every human being on earth. Everyone would like to tend to perfection,youth and wisdom: everyone's dream, especially if forever. This involves a large list of topics: revenge, gealousy, passion, naivete, cunning,power, deception,death,and lots more.. Another reason for wich no one will write like him is his cut:he starts from the detail to reach the whole, and such harmonically.

Even if nowadays wisdom is not particurlary recherchèe, surely youth is still one of the most desired aspiration,and a lot more achievable than ever, with our fashionable make-up musk all over the face every single day, and with fake accultured smiles all around us showing us the brutality of reality .

ps= You're probably in the wrong discussion if you judge one's comment without even judge the quotation. Oh pardon, it's true, you're the heavy one ! Boo hoo!