Interests: Movies, Computers, Cricket
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7,137
[0.77% of all post / 2.13 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Please check it for mistake
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 12:06:11 PM
I don't want to offend anyone. Pardon me if any word in my post seemed objectionable.

Dragon, it is not about sounding impolite, not to me at least. I understand and acknowledge that there are cultural differences. In the same country, locations at two ends may have different ways of saying the same thing. It is natural.
Yes, we in this part of the world feel a bit honoured in displaying our position. It may be conflicting with others but we have this tendency.

And with due regards to Romany, Ruth, Hope, and all other female members of this forum, I do not have anything against gender equality or feminism. I respect all the ladies.

Sorry s21d if the thread got hijacked. ;)

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Topic: Please check it for mistake
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 3:57:33 AM
I think there is some confusion or better to say misinterpretation. Using 'sometimes' is not what the writer of original sentence was thinking, IMO. It is not about 'time'. It is about a specific date, not specific day. It is about 14 Feb 2019 only. On the otherwise joyous Valentine's Day, the terror attack on Indian military convoy was sorrowful. IMO, the writer wants to say that though the red colour was seen at all the places, at some places it was of the roses while at some places it was of blood. But they have used 'somewhere' incorrectly. I agree with Blodybeef that using 'at some places' is better.

Another point (off-topic):
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

As a general comment on the Indian news-items I see occasionally, they seem TOO fond of descriptive phrases and acronyms (like "ex-prime minister, favoured politician, famous actor CPRO Ranjit Singh, ex-husband of Shila Patel, famous actress" as a single noun-phrase as subject if a sentence).
I find the Times of India article almost unreadable, due to SO MANY undefined acronyms and abbreviations.
I assume CRPF are para-military police and "J&K" is "J___ and Kashmir District".
Jaish-e-Mohammed are obviously a terrorist group.
But things like "Rajnath Singh spoke to DG CRPF RR Bhatnagar" is a bit bewildering.

:) I do not find anything intriguing here. Reason being that the majority of reader base is in Indian sub-continent. Here these 'acronyms' are so common that every person will easily comprehend it. I have never heard anyone saying Central Reserve Police Force. It is always CRPF. It is never Inspector General of Police or Director General of Police. It is always IG or DG/ DGP. To be honest, there would be many who would not understand or know the full form of these acronyms, but they will easily comprehend the abbreviations.

I think it is just like any other country. An article published in the USA will simply use FBI. It will not write Federal Bureau of Investigation. Likewise in an article from the UK, it will be MI6 and not Military Intelligence Section 6.

Such abbreviations (or jargon) are so common (in any respective culture) and imbibed in everyday conversation that any common man will easily understand.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Topic: who or whom
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 1:42:25 AM
Removing the extra terms from the sentence makes the thing clear.

... telling them of his sexual relations with a prostitute whom was infected with a sexually transmitted disease.

It calls for a subjective pronoun. 'who' is correct here.

Topic: change one letter game
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:25:07 AM
Most of the time, one has to dig to find it.

Topic: double consonant game.
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:22:35 AM
addition

Topic: Change 3 or 4 of 7
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:21:02 AM
potency

Topic: FIRST AND LAST LETTERS COMES IN UPCOMING WORDS
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:20:19 AM
redeem

Topic: Association with no common consonants
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:19:31 AM
rank

Topic: ASSOCIATION & COMMOM LETTERS
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:17:29 AM
comforting

Topic: FIRST AND LAST LETTERS COMES IN UPCOMING WORDS
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 2:01:56 AM
palmtop

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.