[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: the proof is in the pudding
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 5:22:27 AM
Got it! Thanks a lot :)
Topic: the proof is in the pudding
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:53:36 PM
Hi everybody!

I have a question regarding the phrase "the proof is in the pudding" - how popular is this phrase in spoken English? (American English, in particular)
Or it is more used in written English?

Thanks a lot!
Topic: "I know there's three English people down there"
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 12:20:46 AM
OK, I see now, thanks guys a lot :)
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:53:30 PM
Thanks guys
Topic: South vs. Southern
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:19:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification :)
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:15:27 PM
Hi, folks!

I've been listening to an Australian radio today and I've heard these phrases "I know there's three English people down there" and "There's a lot of foreigners that have come out to New Zealand to work in this mine".

Firstly, I thought I had heard something wrong, but then browsed their website for the transcript and was acknowledged that I had been right. That is what was written there:

ELIZABETH JACKSON: Can you confirm that there were Australians in the town and possibly still are and that some of those miners were in fact Australians?

TONY KOKSHOORN: Yeah, I can't tell for 100 per cent but there probably is Australian miners down there. I know there's three English people down there. Predominantly they are from the Grey district, the Greymouth and Reefton and around the west coast area but certainly there's a lot of foreigners.
There's a lot of foreigners that have come out to New Zealand to work in this mine; it's a brand new mine, it's just getting up to full production at the moment so it's just devastating news.

As you see, that man really used "there is" for several people. Isn't it grammatically incorrect? Or maybe there's some kind of exceptions?

Thanks a lot
Topic: South vs. Southern
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 3:39:35 PM
Hi all,

According to the TheFreeDictionary.com these adjectives are very similar.
Is there a rule directing when to use each of them in particular situations?

Thanks a lot!
Topic: Gene Linked to Migraines
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:03:05 PM
I can't say anything about the girl in the picture, but I definitely know what a migraine headache is like - it's horrible. It is true that you feel nausea and sometimes you vomit (when the pain is the most severe - you begin to feel better a little bit after that). And sure I know that feeling of the light - it's like someone sticks his finger into your brain through the eye. There is only one solution for me - take a drug and have a sleep for at least 20-30 minutes. After that I feel like I have been born again.
What concerns things that trigger the pain, they are: a lack of a sleep, nervousness for a long time, hunger, very rarely - overwork.
I hope scientists will investigate this disease causes and effective drugs will be developed.
Topic: Please do not shoot the pianist. He is doing his best.
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 1:23:38 AM
Could anyone explain what this saying means, please?