User Name: marcus_aurelius
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 31
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What does ''old sport'' mean?
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:59:01 PM
Hi, I have just finished reading The Great Gatsby and it would love to know what does that expression mean... All the english speakers that I know, they are not native and they could not tell me the meaning of that.

Thanks.
Topic: Moral values (are they objective? And if so, kow can we arrive at getting a knowledge of them).
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:10:40 PM
Of course you could discuss about that. But in that case you must know that you won't reach any conclusion. As you well said with your example, we can discuss the tastes of wines. But nobody would be able to prove that one wine is actually better than another. It will be just a matter of different tastes. So the terms ''good'' or ''bad'' in your example simply mean ''what is good for me'' or ''what is more preferable for me'' or 'what I would be willing to pay 400 € for''. As well said the romans ''De gustibus non disputandum''.

So, do you adopt the attitude that moral values are analogical to, for example, wine tastes ?
Topic: Moral values (are they objective? And if so, kow can we arrive at getting a knowledge of them).
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:45:29 PM
Objective means having true existence. And that's what this is all about. We can't mix up what actually happens with what should happen. Not so long ago, many people thought smoking was not bad at all for our health. And that didn't keep smoking from being bad.

That's the difference between a prescriptive and a descriptive judgment.

IT IS TRUE THOUGH, that if there are no objective values, there is not such a thing as ''WHAT SHOULD BE''. In that case, prescriptive judgments wouldn't have any sense.

And now, what I wonder, is if in that case, in the case where there would not be objective values, would be legitimate to talk about ''better'' or ''worse''? Wouldn't that just mean ''diferent''?

I'm eager to know your points of view.

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:49:05 PM
Hi, first of all, I'm not a native english speaker so excuse me if my English is not as orthodox as it should be. I hope at least you can understand me well enough.

I'm a student of philosophy and in this past semester we've been discussing, reading and writing essays about the axiology (the theory of values).

Anyway, what's your opinion of all this? Do you think there are truly objective values? A natural law? A natural law that could be discovered only by reason?

Or do you find more attractive the moral relativism? Could our moral be just a product of evolution? What's the origin of our moral laws? Sociology science would say that it's all that society accepts. Theology would put the origin of the moral laws in God's will. Psichoanalysis our are subconscient, etc.

Anyway, I think it's one of the most interesting topics related to philosophy nowadays and like here there are people from all over the world I thought it would be interesting to know what you all think about this.

Sorry again for my English.
Topic: Release date of ''A dance with dragons''. Any news???
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 4:40:11 PM
Greetings.

I've read twice the series of books, once in Spanish and once in English, and I totally love this saga. Anyway, I'm waiting eargerly the fith part but I've not found anywhere the realease date. Is there someone who knows something about it??

Thank you.
Topic: Books that changed your life.
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:01:20 AM
There have been any books that changed your lives? In my case that book was A game of thrones from A song of Ice and fire series. I read it when I was 16 and It was the first book I read just for fun. The ones before were because of the school. And since that my life totally changed. I found out the power of reading. And since that I can't stop reading. Right now I'm 20 and studying philosophy. Who know what I would be doing right now if I hadn't found out this masterpiece.

Any expirience you wish to tell? I'm eager to know.
Topic: ARGENTINA THE NEW FOOTBALL CHAMPION
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:24:39 AM
You just keep shaming yourself cubano.
Topic: World Cup. Who's your favorite?
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 5:52:10 AM
Fair Play.

Peace and love, specially for my Indian friend who posts everywhere.

Writing the future.

Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:14:31 PM

PEACE AND LOVE FOR YOU (BTW, BUY A SOCCER MANUAL)

Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:49:29 PM
Ehhhh dude have you seen the match? Do you know something about this sport? If you think some team could have won playing brilliantly against those players... they seemed more karate fighters than soccer ones. Van Bommel shouldn't have ended the match and some others as well.

Yeah really, you know a great stuff about this.