User Name: Cass
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 589
[0.06% of all post / 0.15 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Monarchy in Commonwealth realms
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:41:18 PM
Romany - I loved your last post and totally agree with you. Living with a Monarchy in place is akin to having a second skin - we all are all related. My late husband and I used to have fierce arguments over this subject. He being an American didn't understand what it felt like to have a lifelong allegiance to the Royal Family and I guess he couldn't be expected to. It's not like being loyal to the Atlanta Braves.
Topic: Change 3 or 4 of 7
Posted: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:21:56 PM
breezes
Topic: Change Two Letters game
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:13:18 PM
large
Topic: In memory of the Fallen
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 9:48:50 PM
Please take a minute to read:

In Flanders Field

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
John McCrae
Topic: Should Mitt Romney come out of the closet?
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 8:04:21 PM
Tovarish wrote:
What a shame his skin colour is considered rather than the job he is doing as President.

As a comparison, our Prime Minister, the first woman elected, born in Wales, lives in the Lodge with her de-facto partner.

Aussies are more concerned with her truthfulness rather than her marital statis, and her early Uni years where she was a member of the

Communist Party.

What a breath of fresh air to read your piece, Tov. It all sounds so sane and commonsensical. Politics here in the US is a joke and if you've got enough money you can buy yourself a politician who can get laws changed for you. How about that! Bet you can't do that in OZ!
If I was 50 years younger I would be feeling pretty frustrated about now. No job, more than likely and no hope of one.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.....politics tends to poison my thought processes.
Topic: British Television Show -- Outnumbered
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 3:43:38 PM
I should hope that UK tv watchers of American TV have a proper perspective of what life is really like over here. They probably think there are too many guns out there; that crimes get solved in a hour and the perpetrator get's his/her comeuppance. But if these TV watchers have any common sense and they watch UK TV as well they'll realize there's little difference in the two cultures; unless you're talking about comedy in which case they're quite different. Take two similar shows "House" (USA) and "Doc Martin" (UK). Neither doc has a bedside manner but Doc Martin, while quite rude, doesn't come off as spiteful and mean and the show is funny. House, on the other hand is devil spawn. Both are excellent shows but one has to wonder why House isn't reined in somewhat and we hope any other country watching his antics don't get the impression this is normal behaviour in our hospitals.

Yes, there is some resentment about American influence but I think it's contained to the older folk in the UK. The young people take it all in stride and already are influenced by other cultures living there. The music crosses the Atlantic as does the clothing styles - fair exchange. We all shop at H&M.
MY family who are still in the UK won't watch trashy TV no matter it's origin and don't forget a lot of British shows end up on the tube over here.
Topic: National Geographic video "Magnifying the Universe"
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 9:55:22 PM
Thank you for the link, Roger. It is extremely interesting.
Topic: "The men's shed"
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 2:58:03 PM
I think this is a splendid idea, Tov. So much more useful that a "man cave" which is what guys go for over here. Not that a man cave isn't without it's own virtue I hasten to add. If a guy has had a rotten day it great for him to have a place to call his own away from the hustle and bustle of the household. As long as he doesn't forget the lady of the house who is probably still trying to get dinner on the table, kids bathed and oversee their homework. I've seen some very nice man caves. I would venture to say that anyone who has a man cave also probably has every power tool ever invented in his arsenal - you know what I mean - boy toys. If only they knew how to organize them instead of chucking them all over the place!

It's good to hear from you again, Tov.
Topic: animated Bayeux Tapestry
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 8:30:47 PM
Thanks, Thar - interesting and a little gory but well worth a look.
Topic: the history of a forest
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:03:39 PM
Very interesting and informative. Thank you, Thar.