Profile: JayJay
About
User Name: JayJay
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 179
[0.02% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What is the significance of surnames?
Posted: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:18:18 AM
[quote=thar]reading all these posts about caste and all, leaves me feeling relieved to be icelandic, where all my name shows is my close family - who the father is that raised me. that may be because iceland is so small we dont need to identify ourselves by clan or caste - there are probably more Patels in one small village than icelanders in the world. and the idea of taking a husband's name would be weird to us, it's not the name I grew up with (and it would be a son not dottir name!)... and guess which country had the first ever female head of state - the one where women have our own names!
It can just be a be wearing to keep explaining to Americans that I don't share surnames with my mother or father, or brothers, even though we are the most boring married nuclear family.

I was not aware of any other Icelanders on this forum. I am Icelandic though it my not seem obvious from my profile.I know Thar is aware of this, but I thought I would add(although I may be digressing a bit)that in Iceland we are also able to trace our geneology with remarkable accuracy inspite of not having surnames.I can trace my maternal ancestry back to 1100's. Also, since we our such a small population, it is often possible to trace back any two random people in Iceland and find a common ancestor, and you will usually find this link within a few hundred years back.
Topic: Champion of Breakfasts
Posted: Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:02:41 AM
[quote=TYSON]Pancakes with bacon & maple syrup. A close 2nd is bacon & eggs with the lot.

You rock! me too.
Topic: Sportsman spirit
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:01:45 PM
I would agree that Ghana's goalie played very well, otherwise I think the U.S. offense looked stronger most of the game.
Topic: Sportsman spirit
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:52:11 PM
Ghana was definitely trying to run down the clock in overtime today against the U.S. and they feigned a couple of injuries as well. But, the U.S. team had plenty of scoring opportunites that they were not able to convert...oh well.
Topic: The idiocy of the points system
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:20:17 AM
I've been reading your posts, it's true.
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:02:45 AM
Your sentence is illogical. How can a "points system" be pointless, ponce?
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 9:58:26 PM
Good point TL.
Topic: Maintaining "Pure Societies"
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 9:43:31 PM
The bottom line is more scrutiny required in the immigration application screening process. Native languages must be learned to a satisfactory level, and proof should be required demonstrating the ability to support oneself. Maybe there should even be a probationary period introduced that would weed out the extremely undesirable after a year or so.
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 9:27:12 PM
What is even worse is your pointless observation.
Topic: Smell of which food substance disgusts you the most
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:43:41 PM
Rotten shark will wake you up from a coma, and it is equally nasty to digest. But, some Icelanders serve that and sheep testicles at parties to their friends...yum,yum.