Statistics
Number of Posts: 79
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Invent a new word
Posted: Friday, April 9, 2010 1:58:18 AM
Babezy wrote:
Hi, Chhokri,
We've got "aunt," "uncle," "cousin," and so forth, and we could say, "maternal aunt" to show that she's related on our mother's side. But it's not more specific than that--in other words, my aunt could be my mother's sister or my mother's brother's wife, or the same thing on my father's side. Are the Asian words even more specific?

Yes, there are separate words for your mother's sister, your mother's brother's wife, your father's sister, father's brother's wife/ sister's husband, to my knowledge in a majority of Indian languages.
Topic: Is there anyone who gets bore to death with spenting time with her/his parents?
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:38:21 AM
My mother and I completely never got along with each other until I was say nineteen, then I started relating to her as another woman friend and trust me, it changed our relationship forever. We enjoyed each other's company and used to go out together so often, I kind of began to look forward to weekends with my mother! I'm 25 and happily married :), miss my mother terribly :(. I understand now, what an impact her sheer presence at home had on me! I wish her good health and hope she outlives me! :)
Topic: Fit of Rage
Posted: Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:23:09 AM
Angel
HWNN1961 wrote:
It's a fact of human nature that we tell "white lies". The sort of omissions or "adjustment" of facts that are necessary to avoid harm and/or rupture of our relationships...our "network" if you will.

The reason that it is good to count to 10, walk away, cool off, isn't that what you have to say is wrong, but that it is harmful to a relationship.

None of us has a perfectly impassive view of the world, none gifted with 20/20 vison of reality. But, we do see things in others that they are either blind to, or ignore for other psychological reasons.

Sometimes, under duress, we explode on someone, and tell the truth, at least the truth as we see it.

Unless you spoke incoherently, suffer from deep psychosis, you probably will have said something that has at least a portion of the truth in it.

It can be cathartic, but it is always dangerous to the relationship.

And, sometimes it is necessary. Don't always blame yourself. Maybe you've been holding some valid complaint in so long, that like a volcano, you finally errupted!

Sometimes, the truth hurts. It makes for a very complicated apology.

You wouldn't believe that your post has really had such a good positive impact on me today!
I always try to cool off, never show my anger, and become depressed and finally indulge in self-pity.
I don't explode in anger, for fear of the harm that it may cause to the relationship.
Now I really do think that I have valid complaint and am ready for a complicated apology! Angel
Topic: Fit of Rage
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:53:26 AM
Have you been so angry that you've used words with a person (esp. one you love a lot) that would hurt them immensely?

Have you later apologised and said that you indeed did not mean those words and that they were uttered in a fit of rage?

Do you think it is justified to speak anything when you are angry and then blame in on your temper?

Do you think the relationship with that person would remain the same after this exchange?

Topic: Which mythological character appeals to you?
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:20:21 AM
[color=darkblue]I do I am barely familiar enough with Hindu mythology to be certain that it is as rich and developed as the Greek pantheon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_mythology

Think link might help you to have an overview about Hindu mythology. However, I'm not sure if you would be as enchanted as we are about these stories due to our inherent cultural differences. They'd make a great read though.:-)
Topic: Friends of the opposite sex
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:55:05 AM
Isotonic wrote:
We are in the year 2010: Genetic engineering, cloning and computers.
You would think that society would be mature enough to accept heterosexual platonic relationships...but unfortunately stupid female jealousy, lack of trust and immaturity still exists.

Maybe one day society will be brave enough to accept the fact that men and women can be platonic friends without the need for sex.

Please tell me what you mean my "female jealousy". Are you saying men do not feel jealous? I'm a married woman and I've had to abruptly put an end to a lot of platonic relationships with men (some of them very close) due to jealousy!
Topic: Mental illness in different cultures
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:37:53 AM
Nappypoet wrote:
Presently in my Abnormal and Clinical Psych class, I am studying Mental Illness and how difficult it can be to define it. I am specifically interested in how different cultures and geographical locations define it and treat persons suffering with it.

So the question is:

How does your culture and/or country/region define and treat persons with mental illness? Or how do other places and people that you know of do the same?

(I would be appreciative if you can cite references if possible...but your opinion is very much welcomed because this is, in fact, a forum ...and examples would be great too...thanks alot!!!

There is very little awareness about mental illness in India even among the very well educated lot.

Persons with mental illnesses are either thrown out of home or treated as prisoners in their own homes.

Awareness about mental illnesses is picking up here. I attended a workshop on down syndrome and volunteered to work as their instructor. The experience humbled me, truly!

There are a few government ads about dyslexia and autism.

There are a lot of not for profit organisations that cater to needs of people with specific mental disorders.

In rural India, people with mental disorders are thought to be "captured by ghosts" are are taken to (even now) pujaris (persons who serve in Hindu temples). The patients are subjected to the most bizarre treatments. Some are left behind in Hindu temples under the faith that God would cure the mentally ill, someday.
Topic: 2010-A Horrific Start To Indian Immigrant Students In Australia
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 5:39:07 AM
What we're hearing may be only one side of the story.

We don't know why exactly Indian students were attacked or an Indian was killed.

We don't know whether the attacks had anything to do with racism either.

We don't know whether the media is covering facts or blowing up things to make 'sensational' news.

So, my prayers for everyone who was attacked, Indian, white or black.
Topic: Theological Terms
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 1:59:05 AM
Dreamy wrote:
Apostolicae Curae is the title of a papal bull issued in 1896 by Pope Leo XIII, declaring all Anglican holy orders "absolutely null and utterly void".[1] The Anglican Archbishops of Canterbury and York responded to the papal charges with Saepius Officio, in 1897.

Obsequium religiosum is a Latin phrase meaning religious submission or religious assent.

Can you help, please? I need 7 more such terms to make a batch of 10.

Hi, see if this would be of help to you:

Argumentum ad verecundiam is the formal term for an argument using respect for great men, customs, institutions, and authority in an attempt to strengthen one's argument and provide an illusion of proof. It is one of many errors or logical fallacies that can be made in argumentation.
Topic: Facets of colour
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:23:34 AM
pedro wrote:
s_450x479.jpg[/img]

Personally, I think green is beautiful and blends with any background!!

I tend to buy a lot of green stuff and I seem to love things green around me... [/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you for that! Lovely...Applause Applause