User Name: progpen
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 201
[0.02% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Not free anymore?
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 2:32:27 PM
And please try to tell me that these ads have all been painstakingly checked to be malware free and guaranteed not to be phishing sites.
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 2:29:06 PM
One other observation is that the sites I do permit ads on are sites that match the ads to the site content. For instance, a crafting site has ads about craft supplies, a woodworking site has ads about woodworking supplies, etc.

This site does not do that, and as an example, an ad that popped up for the word of the day "fissure" The Free Dictionary showed me an ad about anal fissures. I've also seen ads for illegal knockoffs of trademarked products, and how to spy on people online.

Classy.
Topic: Stephen Hawking
Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:20:27 AM
Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye and Brian Cox have all brought science and physics to the public in ways that others have not.
Topic: Bill Gates drinks water distilled from human faeces !?
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:40:42 PM
The whole "recycled" water thing is just water treatment, which has been going on for a very long time. New treatment technology just makes the process faster and sometimes cheaper, so it can be used on a smaller scale. Extracting water from waste is just another step in the process.
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 7:35:40 PM
I've been using the site for a while now with my regular security plugins and filters. I've no problem with pay for use sites or premium content and in fact, I tend to gravitate to those sites for the added warm fuzzy feeling that the site is at least trying to keep users away from malicious content. One of the recent changes in this site has bypassed filters that I've set up, which raises all kinds of alarms for me as an end user. I truly do not care if the website owner has no malicious intent themselves, but I don't trust them to make the decision for me whether or not I should be exposed to content that I can't verify.

I'm all for premium content. Don't bring the donated meals into this, because that is entirely unrelated to end user security.

I don't even expect this site to change anything based on my observations, but it is my responsibility as an end user to bring my observations to your attention here.
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:56:28 PM
I've been using the site for quite some time quite simply because it did not have the pathetic scams and worse infesting the pages like some other dictionary sites. Now I find that the same infestation has crept into this site, but for a small fee that infestation can go away again. Not an exorbitant fee (yet), but it does raise some questions and concerns about the site, site management and where the site is headed. Quite disconcerting, and I have been forced to start using other tools instead of this one simply because there are too many security issues associated with sites that run these ads/scams.

I hope the site can see the error, make their course correction and begin moving forward (and not backward) again.
Topic: Swiss Cheese
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 2:09:49 PM
Swiss cheese is not really Swiss. French fries are not really French. Next you'll be telling me that Danishes are not really Danish.
Topic: What Is Organic Food?
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 11:25:50 PM
Fields full of GMO products are cross contaminating organic fields and the businesses doing the contaminating do so with impunity.
Topic: What Is Organic Food?
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 11:23:17 PM
It's about choice. If I don't want to consume food that has been grown in a manner that I think is not healthy, then it should be possible for businesses to sell me this food. If I want to know where the food originated and how it was grown, then businesses need to do that.

Right now food contamination is legal. It should not be. Right now businesses can lie about how a food was produced. They should not be able to. As long as these things don't change, then we do not have a choice.
Topic: Selfishness in Western Democracies
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 3:39:50 PM
It is quite telling for the US as a country and a society that a small fraction of the population has so far successfully communicated to the world that the poor are selfish and the wealthy and powerful are not. Not surprising that this tiny subset of the US is able to control the message to such a degree that they can paint with broad brush strokes like this, but it is enlightening.