Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 95
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Frank Sinatra
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:36:14 AM
Eurydice wrote:

Sorry to butt in, but I can't help but comment on the popularity of "My Way." It really is so popular here that doing the song an injustice (among other things) can get you killed. Anxious

My Way Killings

OMG. I'm shocked at the news and at myself for finding it oddly amusing (sorry, but I can't help getting a mental picture of people getting killed for singing a song badly - it should be a comedy skit...done in poor taste, of course).
Topic: Internet access in rural areas
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:53:49 AM
From what I've been able to gather in my ongoing, it looks like I may have to go with one of those 'sticks' and purchase a wireless router with a USB port (for the stick). This is through Bell, but I'm still going to check at a Best Buy-type store to see if they might have any ideas. Not being the least bit computer savvy is only leading to more frustration, because I don't understand the jargon or the technology. I had no idea it would be this difficult.
Topic: Esoterics of Avatars
Posted: Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:54:59 AM
I thought I posted about this in another topic, but, that could just be my memory...this is my cat Jeremy.
Topic: Karma - of the past , present and future
Posted: Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:42:58 AM
My understanding of Karma, based on what I studied in a World Religion class many years ago, is that it's largely ancestoral. An ancestor's behavior (or bad deeds) results in bad Karma - all they way down the line (you are born poor or sick or something). You (the individual) have to do good deeds in order to repair the bad Karma.

I know - that's a really poor interpretation, not to mention very basic, as Hinduism is such a complicated and philosophical system of beliefs. I have difficulty wrapping my head around almost every aspect of it - but it is also so fascinating.
Topic: Embarrassing Moments
Posted: Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:34:25 AM
I was about 18 years old and attending my first business dinner with my boyfriend, his boss, boss's boss, and many co-workers/friends. I had purchased a lovely flowing skirt for the event that made me look so grown-up. After a bit of wine, I excused myself to go to the ladies room and primly walked through the restaurant. I powdered my nose and fixed my hair and proceeded to sachay back through the restaurant to our table. As I prepared to sit in my chair, I smoothed my skirt underneath me - and was horrified to find that I had tucked my skirt into my pantyhose! Obviously, my face displayed distress because someone at the table asked if I was okay. I hurriedly tried to pry this long flowing skirt from my knickers, all the while nodding and mumbling 'uh huh', and spent the rest of the evening wondering which patrons were unfortunate enough to see that horrible sight of a woman's behind in pantyhose (trust me - it's pretty bad).
Topic: Non-American Literature
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:23:26 AM
Babezy wrote:
Here in the U.S. it's very easy to hear of the main American fiction authors and get a good reading list. But I'd like to broaden my experience of non-American authors. Is there anyone you'd recommend? If the person doesn't write in English I may be able to get a translated version through the Internet shops. Thanks.

One way I've found novels by international writers was to look up various literary awards to writers worldwide - there are sites for that. Here in Canada, we hear about Canadian and American authors, but sometimes you have to search out international ones. There are many who write in English, and many excellant translations, which are widely available. You will open up a whole new world for yourself...in my opinion many of the best writers are not based in North America.
Topic: best language
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:13:11 AM
I have to agree with the others, trying to speak their 'language' may come across as false and defeat the purpose of your talk. I do safety training and I find visual aids and movie/tv references to speak louder than words. Perhaps using clips from movies or videos that the kids can relate to might be a good approach. But definitely getting the kids themselves involved would create discussion and debate, making it personal for them. Your role could be more of a facilitator and perhaps a couple of kids in each group who may be willing to speak out against it, might be more effective.

Luckily my son is older now (20), but when he was in grade school and high school, it was always a worry for me. He had said that he was occassionally bullied, but he chose to fight back, because he said if he didn't the bullying would only get worse. Unfortunately, this approach resulted in him getting into trouble with school officals (detentions, even a suspension). I think it has gotten much more difficult for kids to deal with bullying today, as so many schools have a 'zero tolerance for violence' and anyone involved, whether they are the bully or defending themselves, gets into trouble. His advice to a friend's child who was being bullied and was not the 'fight back' type, was to stay in groups, don't wander off alone and try to align himself with a couple of 'fighters'. My son has one really close friend who was often bullied - he told me that my son and a few others were his 'protectors' in school...I thought that was nice.
Topic: Song Lyrics Quiz
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:12:26 AM
One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky

But until that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With your daddy and mammy standing by

Summertime - Sam Cooke (but I like Janis Joplin's version)

Next one...(hint: they're an Australian band)

Our weapons were our instruments
made from timber and steel
we never yielded to conformity
but stood like kings
in a chariot that's riding on a
record wheel
Topic: Internet access in rural areas
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:44:45 PM
worldsclyde wrote:
I had a similar problem and chose to go with satellite internet. The cost of the internet,($50/mo), was justified with ditching my land line. No land line interface is required. Its not as fast as internet through cable but is usable, unlike dial-up. A common misperseption is that satellite internet and dish TV have something in common. They do not. TV is receive only and uses a different satellite and a separate dish.

Yeah, I learned that in my search for internet in the boonies. There's a dish there, but it's for TV (the typical one you see hanging off houses everywhere) and only receives. The internet satellite dishes are bigger and are meant to send and receive (like email).

I'm probably going to go satellite, even though it's a little more expensive here (in Ontario), it's necessary. And my son will just have to watch TV programs old-school (instead of on-line).
Topic: Forum Etiquette
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:39:15 AM
Doh!

Ta for that...

Wow - just tried it and it works...

Okay, I'll stop now.