User Name: hairball
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Pet Peeves
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:24:59 PM
It bugs me when people use the word "share" when asking someone to talk about something. I can give an excellent example of why it's a bad usage:

A couple years ago, I was watching a television interview with a nutritionist, and the interviewer said, "Would you like to share with us what you had for breakfast this morning?" The expression on the nutritionist's face was priceless. You could almost hear him thinking, "No, you don't want me to do that."

Topic: Phrases describing a situation
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:02:39 PM
One of my favorites: Dumb as a box of rocks.
Topic: When I got home I had looked for the dog.
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:50:50 PM
I think you would need to know the order of the events. I see two possibilities:

1. I came home (for example, from work) and then looked for the dog. In this case, sentence B would (obviously) be correct.

2. I was out looking for the dog and then came home. In this case, sentence A would probably be correct, depending on how the narrative as a whole is "oriented in time." However, you would probably want to find a better way to say it. With two occurrences of past perfect, we have a somewhat complex view of the timeline if we're assuming the sentence is technically correct in describing what happened.

Topic: WHOM...WHEN?
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:35:28 PM
I have a question about this and can't quite figure out how to apply any of the above rules to it. Which is correct:

He knew who they were.
He knew whom they were.

I'm inclined to think "whom" because you could restate the last part of the sentence as "they were whom." But I'm not sure.