Profile: Toddey65
About
User Name: Toddey65
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 108
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It is so pleasant to come across people more stupid than ourselves. We love them at once for being s
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:23:58 PM
LampsJT wrote:
MTC wrote:
None of this group, intelligent and educated though they be, is perfect. All of us have said things we regret, including me. And how many times have all of us been misunderstood? Please bear in mind these words: “To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.” ( Robert Muller) Someday you and I may be in need of forgiveness ourselves.

To ludic: You are welcome for the comments on "phatic."

Sincerely,

MTC

I have always heard, Sancho, that doing good to base fellows is like throwing water into the sea - Quixote fella

Gross parachronistic relict!

A sapient mind reflects upon epigrams and subjects the most irreproachable of minds to critical analysis. A sequacious underling... - John Bull

People who use quotes to substantiate their contention are incapable of dialectical reasoning. Ipse-dixitism is their crust.

Everybody uses quotes to substantiate their contention, every book you read is so. I would not be surprised if many of the most intelligent people also *gasp* used quotes. Now Please stop your annoying rants that are actually grotesquely inane. Oh sure you are using a colorful vocabulary to substantiate your rants but that doesn't prove anything.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

Topic: My first real poem
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 6:45:06 PM
excaelis wrote:
[quote=Marissa La Faye Isolde]To toddey 65:

I understand what you say about having the time and the "state of mind" to write-- and how life can interfere with your creative inspirations. But do not be so quick to judge your poems as pathetic and small...Not all poems need be
grand. Never destroy a poem you have written. Sometimes one can not see the beauty of one's own soul until one "sees" it much later. Chisel out a sanctuary in your world in which to write. Think of Vermeer, his world was coming apart at the seems. He had a horrible wife and home life, war and political upheavals all around him--yet he painted under extreme turmoil. MY favoriet picture is THE LACEMAKER. Think of your poems as the making of lace...

With kind regards,

Marissa

Another Vermeer fan. Awesome ! Cartesian philosophy distilled in paint.

Toddey, I love the outrage and passion of your poem. The tumble of words is interesting; I get the sense of someone trying to find expression for a maelstrom of thoughts and feelings yet almost drowning in them, failing to find enough words to express his feelings. Running out of words. In this of all languages !

The trick is to make your intellect inform rather than adorn your work. By which I mean a baroque facade will often obscure the fundamental architecture of a building. Let the simplicity of good design speak for itself, and adorn it only where it will spotlight that design. Clarity is always good design.

The only way to change darkness is with light. The only way to change ignorance is with knowledge. And the only way to change confusion is with clarity.

I agree with you, but sometimes you like baroque and other times clarity. For this poem I just went with the former and thought it turned out all right.

That is an excellent interpretation by the way. I wasn't really aiming for that, but I see how that is manifested in the poem.
Topic: Slavery
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 6:32:30 PM
Cat wrote:
Toddey65, I disagree with you. Not being able to do whatever we want is not slavery. It is self-control.

I am not a slave because I can leave a bad relationship, bad job, scary neighborhood, etc. Living life within the confines of a society is not enslavement as it is my choice.

I agree with you, my previous post was rather incoherent and I really do not think we all are slaves. I was stretching the word slavery and I really don't want to do that so I recant my former (incipient) position.
Topic: contradictions creating new ideas
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 10:01:59 PM
As Dreamy said they are oxymorons and are used for making something abstractly artful. Slicing and dicing phrases we create oxymorons something that can give an idea that there is a contradictory nature in the object and they sound cool. when I hear 'dry water' I think that they are saying there is water but it is decrepit and therefore dry. Many people will interpret that differently though. But nevertheless they are good rhetorical devices.

That is about as philosophical as I can get.
Topic: Slavery
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 9:53:24 PM
If you think about it we all are slaves. Nobody can just get up and do what they want and stretch their freedom. Everybody has responsibilities and is accountable for their actions, therefore we all are limited and therefore slaves. For instance, Charlie Sheen is not exempted from enthrallment, he also is accountable for his debauching. When he is older he will still have that on his resumé and will still be on people's conscious.

Somebody mention earlier that wealthy people are not enslaved, but they actually are accountable for their actions. A wealthy man cannot say I raped a girl and killed her afterwards, and not be expected not accountable for that. Even if he pays off judges and whatever as long as the people know they won't let him get away.

Rejoice in Slavery my Friends!Dancing
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 4:36:50 PM
Marissa La Faye Isolde wrote:
Magnificent Poem! Tell me more. Write something else for us to read. Yea :)

I'll keep on writing but I cannot create something like this just everyday, I must have the available time and inspiration, plus it isn't a pure poem I added some elements from my other poems that are small and pathetic compared to it.
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 4:31:35 PM
bluecloud wrote:
I`m shocked. What kind of school are you doing there in US?

An online school at the moment.
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 4:28:48 PM
sarah71 wrote:
it's a bit baroque, but it depicts pretty much how I feel about the world... if we thought of ourselves as animals (and not as eternal gods), perhaps we would stop this ordeal and live more peacefully

My goal was to be baroque, ornamented, extreme, outlandish.

Thanks for commenting.
Topic: The F game
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 12:37:03 PM
I was just being facetious.
Topic: The F game
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 12:54:24 AM
I read every post and a lot of people keep repeating each other and I think one repeated himself/herself...

Maybe this game was just farcical.