User Name: MissMary
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Wanted: A Better Shorthand Name For TFD Language Forums
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 3:57:59 PM
My mental ear heard FreeD Elf as Free Delf and immediately I wondered what is a Delf? I would really dislike typing
FreeD Elf very often.
Topic: Adjective vs. adverb
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 3:54:10 PM
If I am cooking I am interested more in clarity than in grammar, so, following recipe traditions, I would choose,
"onion, sliced thin."
Topic: Mommies and Daddies
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:28:41 PM
Growing up, I felt closer to one parent than to another at different stages, but in general, closer to my mother. I have sons and daughters and grandchildren of both sexes. I find that as sons mature they become protective (and bossy) sooner than girls do. My daughters ask for advice, my sons and sons-in-law give it. I don't feel the same closeness to my sons after they married as I did when they were single; I try to back off and let each one's closest ties be with his wife. Can't tell how it will go with the grandchildren
Topic: What are you gonna wear?
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:24:33 AM
I plan to be elsewhere, like Mr. Pease (from an old gravestone): Here lies not the Pease/But only the pod;?Pease shelled out,/Gone home to God.
Topic: “We’re playing “hide the cannoli”...
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:19:26 AM
I am from the South. What you do depends on whether or not you want to keep these friends. Once in awhile you can say, "I'm so glad to see you and so sorry we can't visit; we are just about to leave for . . ." Of course if they live nearby, then you have to get in your car and go somewhere. Asking them to phone first might be acceptable if they are young, but probably not. The truthful answer is probably that you just smile over clenched teeth and bear with it. If you don't especially want them as friends, then asking them to call might be a discouragement.
Topic: computer chips
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:21:43 AM
In a death roll, would Windows jump in there and shut down everything, giving a brief, scary warning about possible system damage? Something like this happened to me last night when all I was doing was reading news and listening to Pandora. I turned the computer back on and pressed F8 as instructed to do by Windows, and all seems well, but I don't know what was ill.
Topic: Telephone Etiquette - "Who's this?"
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:13:14 AM
When I have been the person who called a wrong number I become flustered, and have asked, "Who is this" instead of asking for the person whom I was calling. So, when I receive one of those queries, I assume that it is someone as rattle-brained as I am, and politely ask either who is calling or whom does he want? Rarely has a caller been rude.Of course, I probably sound like his grandmother, so maybe his is on good behavior?
Topic: Most Irritating Word In English
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:34:03 PM
Pant--as in his pant leg. If he is wearing pants, how does the adjective suddenly become "pant"?
Topic: Comma Frustration
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:28:30 PM
When faced with a list such as you write, I go the semicolon route to separate items not related.
Topic: To Be
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:40:15 PM
I found that the light was in the window of a public house? If you saw a light and were seeking its source. . .