User Name: driven
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 68
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Planarian joke / riddle, epigenetics
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 8:42:41 PM
I guess so. And then they would keep in touch on 'Multiply'.
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:13:26 PM
IMcRout said:
Re 'plain Aryan'. That was a spur-of-the-moment pun that was - and is - not intended to carry any deeper meaning at all.

Driven replies: Yes, that is how I took it. A good one too. The 'food for thought' was a quote from nowhere apparently alluding to the experiment where one group of planarians was trained, then diced and fed to another group of planarians, who then digested and acquired the 'knowledge' of the first planarians. (Can we gain another point or two on our IQ score if we eat trained planarians?)

Distantly related: There was a NOVA special on TV called "Ghost in your genes", or something similar. Experiments have shown that the experiences of humans can develop traits along with adding something to their genes, then a generation is skipped and those traits show up in their grandchildren. It was quite interesting.

It was reported that a planarian that had been divided vertically was heard saying "I have half a mind to go out for green food tonight." d'oh!
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 7:45:12 PM
Plain Aryan. Food for thought. Applause d'oh!
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 7:41:00 PM
Very good. The first post got it. Divide and conquer. Thanks, nowherenothere for the quick correct answer and the humor along with IMcRout. I had a good laugh. I guess I wouldn't know what a planarian is myself, other than I read a good article in "Science Digest" many many years ago. Planarians were taught to prefer red food or green food and then divided vertically or horizontally to see if the tail could remember which food it liked. The wikipedia article was interesting too. Too bad the early experiments were not confirmed, it seems it would relate nicely to epigenetics. Then there is the case in the news a little while ago where a girl had a heart transplant, and then proceeded to identify her donor's murderer, who was arrested, and if I remember right, convicted.
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 1:29:04 PM
I have a joke involving planarians which I attempted to share with my friends. Trouble is, none of them knew what a planarian is. So I decided to present it here as a riddle.

If planarians decided to take over the world, what would their battle cry be? (It's a saying that already exists among humans. Of course, only having a bundle of nerves for a brain, the planarians have a slightly different perspective on this.)

I have a hint which I am saving. It's probably not necessary. This may also lead to a serious topic. Eventually.
Topic: The weather is no longer following "the rules".
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 1:07:32 PM
About a year ago I read that tornado alley (in the U.S.) had moved eastward. All the reports since then seem to confirm this. When my brother lived in Arkansas he had far more tornado warnings than now that he is in Texas.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/110427_rpts.html
Topic: Tornado in Massachusetts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 12:51:58 PM
Safety advise for tornadoes in general seems to not apply to the big ones. I just read that in Joplin the tornado pulled fire hydrants out of the ground (and they are attached to water mains.) Over the last few years I have read two reports of people who survived because they left home before the tornado got there. In both cases the house fell into the basement so they probably would not have survived there. (Still the most dangerous place to be when there is a tornado is in a car or mobile home.)

In one of the outbreaks there were a few small tornadoes about 30 miles away from here. A google map showing cloud rotation that night indicates that they went right over us only had not dropped yet. In the middle of that night we stood at the front door watching constant lightning.
Topic: Road Warrior
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 12:28:22 PM
I wonder how many new drivers have their driving style influenced by video games. Too bad they can't just "meet" one another and leave everyone else safe. (No, I'm not game bashing, I play a couple of them myself, just wondering how much of a connection there might be.)
Topic: Scripture Text For Today
Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:50:42 AM
Dreamy, my research shows that in Mark 9 Jesus was talking about the valley of Hinnom just outside of Jerusalem. It was a garbage dump that was kept burning by adding sulfur to it. Besides garbage the carcasses of dead animals were thrown in there and they would also throw the bodies of criminals who had been executed if they felt that the criminal was so bad he was not worthy of a burial. No one was ever thrown in there while alive. The Greek word translated hell fire in Mark 9 is not Hades but is Gehenna, meaning valley of Hinnom.

It was also Jesus who said that hell (Greek: Hades) would be emptied of the dead in it (evidently by resurrection) and then thrown into the lake of fire. Revelation 20: 13, 14. Once the graves are emptied by resurrection and as the Bible promises people no more die, 'hell' or the grave of mankind will never again exist. Until then the dead are 'sleeping' in the grave according to Jesus reference (in John 11) to Lazarus who had died. (Compare Ecclesiastes 9: 5 and Psalm 146: 4) Martha expressed belief in the resurrection "at the last day" but Jesus gave a preview of that resurrection by bringing Lazarus back to life right then.

Romans 6: 23 "The wages of sin is death" not being burned. Romans 6: 7 "For he that is dead is freed from sin."

Often those who accuse God of scorching the wicked eternally also accuse Him of taking children from parents. (He needed another angel) This was even said of a child that was kidnapped and murdered. Was the murderer doing God's will? Absolutely not. The Bible speaks of death as an enemy that at God's time humans will be set free from. Revelation 21: 3,4

I suppose I have poked the hornets nest now. Everyone is free to believe what they want. This is just what I am convinced of from examining the issues.
Topic: Scripture Text For Today
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:49:00 PM
I don't believe in hellfire either. Adam was told that he would return to the dust, not that he would burn. Ezekiel 18: 4 says that the soul that sins will die, not that it will burn. The Hebrew and Greek words for hell are also accurately translated "grave" and Jacob asked to go there to be with his son (Joseph) which he thought had died and Job asked to go there to end his suffering. Often the Bible uses fire to picture permanent destruction. Revelation 1: 1 says it was presented in "signs". And yes, God will give to each one according to his works. But when someone does not accept his undeserved kindness it seems He (God) still goes by the principle of equal justice, as in "eye for eye". So it would not be just to punish someone endlessly for sinning 70 or 80 years at most. And the Bible presents everlasting life as a gift, not as a punishment, as in keeping someone alive so they can suffer.

I have noticed two groups in particular that have preferred the hellfire teaching. Those who feel it is for all their enemies, and preachers who use it to increase donations. No accusations intended, its just what I have personally seen. The pagans of ancient Rome believed in hellfire before it was incorporated into 'Christianity' in Constantine's time and they practiced what they preached by burning Christians at the stake. Then the 'Christians' took up the practice during the inquisition as one of their types of torture. (If we burn these Bible translators publicly people will be afraid to do anything that will spread knowledge of what the Bible says. That way they won't find out that we are lying and we can keep our power and wealth!)