Profile: twinsonic
About
User Name: twinsonic
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 356
[0.04% of all post / 0.09 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What does " checking expectations at the door " means?
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:49:37 PM
Check your expectations at the door. It's a warning that nothing will be as you expect. You may just as well throw out any ideas you have on what your future holds. Your experiences may be better or worse, but most likely nothing will be as you think they will. Better to go into an experience with no preconceived notions. `In reference to the Kia brand, I am not sure how that applies!
Topic: What Motivates you to be Good?
Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2016 8:34:09 PM
What an odd thing to ask! Nothing motivates me to be good. I don't try to be good. I believe it's just human nature to be good, if by good you mean law-abiding, kind, helpful, etc. It's not something I think about, it's just what I do, coming naturally.

I would think that if you have to be motivated it isn't true goodness. Motivation, to me, would require the expectation of a reward, or fear of a punishment. "Be good and I'll buy you an ice cream." "Be good and you won't get a spanking." "Be good and you'll get into heaven." "Be good or the devil will get you."

But, your "good" may not by my "good." If you are referring to religious "goodness," I would probably disappoint you! I can't "hate what he (god) hates." That isn't loving, isn't part of goodness.
Topic: This is Reprehensible!
Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2016 8:23:38 PM
Listening . . . wrote:
When I cast my vote, it is strictly for the purpose of voting against Hillary Clinton. I have to do my part so the movement of America goes more toward smaller government and less regulation. The direction we are currently headed is going to suffocate the American dream. Believe it or not, TRUMP is the better choice. (In all honesty, I wish we had Ross Perot back from 1992!) By the way, I thought about it very carefully, I am not a deplorable. (How awful that someone could call me such a name...Think ).

Well, when I cast my vote it will be for the purpose of helping ensure Trump loses! I don't much care for Clinton, but Trump is an actual danger to our country.

"Deplorable" isn't so "awful!" It only means "deserving condemnation," and "shockingly bad in quality." Continuing to support a man like Trump is cause for condemnation in my eyes. It's a "bad quality" of person who can overlook Trump's character flaws (to put it mildly!), and complete disregard for anything but his own interests.
Topic: Help locating a poem, please!
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 11:46:51 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Just for you:

By Thom Satterlee

The Private Meditations of John Wyclif: On Angels

By now no one cares how many would fit on the head of a pin
They can always make themselves smaller, or the pin bigger,
and being infinite they have all infinity to play scholastic
games. Meanwhile, they watch us in our lecture hall
and see that our only way to fit another scholar in
is by one of us dying. To this the angels have
only pity. They turn the pin on its head,
and then as many angels as the last
scholar has conjectured climb
up the side. They reach
the tip and dance in
bare feet to bleed
for us. This,
we see,
was al-
ways
the
po-
in
t.

Thank you!
Topic: Is Trump's Wife a Mail Order Bride?
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:44:26 AM
Only they would know. His first wife, and his current one didn't become US citizens until after they were married to him, a fact I found interesting.
"Mail order brides" aren't necessarily a bad thing! I know a very well educated woman who came to the US to marry an older man. She wasn't extremely young at the time. She because a citizen after marriage.
Topic: How do you call this thing?
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:35:46 AM
I'm in the Western U.S. and we call it a button. Yes, that might be confusing, since a button is also what closes a shirt! It can also be called a pin. If you search online you can even find them called "button pins."

A badge is what law enforcement wears.

I have never heard of it called a "fad" or a "fashion." Those two words aren't used that way in American English.
Topic: Should Food Companies be held accountable for selling foods which harm others?
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 11:46:46 PM
Deep fried Twinkies are not "hurting" people. They are not nutritious, but they are not poisonous either. Any food product provides calories, which are a unit of energy, so even a Twinkies will do that. A Twinkies now and then won't harm you! 220 calories is less than many candy bars. Are you suggesting all "unhealthy" foods, aka fried, fatty, sugary, be banned or restricted to adults only? Children do little household shopping, so it shouldn't be an issue. In the US schools don't sell the junk food they used to. But, I wouldn't want to legislate what underage children can or can't buy with their allowance money. It's a parents job to decide what their own children eat.

Alcohol and cigarettes are not comparable to fatty or sugary foods!
Topic: Trump supporters call on Ivanka to keep her father in line
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:44:02 PM
Buzzito wrote:
TiMonster wrote:
Why would someone vote for a man whose words they consider wrong ?

If they are smart enough to figure out a way to stop Trump, why can't they realize they shouldn't vote for him ?

Oh shoot, you're French so if you are not a registered voter in the USA, I won't respond to your intrusion to our politics

Being that our President interacts with World leaders, asking the question is hardly an "intrusion."
We should all take an interest in the politics of other nations. America isn't as insular as some would wish it to be.
Topic: Trump supporters call on Ivanka to keep her father in line
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:21:01 PM
Mack R wrote:
Mr. Trump is the most unhesitatingly truthful person I've ever had the pleasure of "knowing ". What he sees and feels about his subject is what he openly and without political restraint verbally expresses. How wonderfully refreshing.
It appears that many of us may be so mentally and emotionally conditioned in believing disguised, self-serving political rhetoric that we are now unable to recognize down-to-earth, open, honest feelings and truth from a fellow human being. How woefully sad!

When someone expresses what they see and feel about a subject, "without... restraint" (be it political or otherwise) I consider them rude! Restraint is needed in a polite, civilized, orderly society. We can't all go around "telling it like it is," and expecting to be accepted rather than punched in the face!

What you refer to as "down-to-earth, open, honest feelings and truth..." is not what I hear coming out of Trump's mouth. I hear lies, over big issues as well as small, meaningless ones that only go to show me he's a chronic liar, perhaps compulsive even. You can call the truth "refreshing," but if it's an insult, if it hurts another person, it is never acceptable. Trump insults on a regular basis. His morning-after "You took it wrong," "That's not what I meant," "It was a joke," Tweets are just more evidence he is a bully and perhaps not a little unhinged.

The words "never acceptable" are not in Trump's vocabulary, and no one seems to be able to control him and his insulting, ignorant, bullying speech.

Topic: What's the point of this KFC commercial?
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:47:53 PM
Axel Bear wrote:

twinsonic wrote:
...using nostalgia to sell the product. It's a common method and it works!

But NOT by me. And I am very common.

You're telling me you've never bought some little item because you remember it fondly from your youth? How about just gum? I don't know if you are in the US, or how old you are, but there are packs of "old" brands of gum that I just have to try again! Clove... Blackjack... Beemans
The "I used to get that when I was a kid!" is a big incentive to buy, both for ourselves and to share with our children and grandchildren.