User Name: paragorillabear
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 119
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Bloody Oprah
Posted: Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:46:56 PM
She may be ending her show, but from what I've heard, she recently bought an entire network.

Yep.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12344037&tqkw=&tqshow=

It's taking the place of what is now known as the Discovery Health Channel.
Topic: Is Christmas being driven out of our world?
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:21:49 PM
I think what Christina is getting at, sir, is that even a cursory investigation into the origins of Hannukah reveal that your information here is completely skewed. Judea was under occupation by the Syrians who had promised the Jewish people that they could at least retain their religious freedoms. "However in 175 BCE, Antiochus IV Epiphanes, the son of Antiochus III invaded Judea, ostensibly at the request of the sons of Tobias. As the ancient Jewish historian Flavius Josephus tells us 'The king being thereto disposed beforehand, complied with them, and came upon the Jews with a great army, and took their city by force, and slew a great multitude of those that favored Ptolemy, and sent out his soldiers to plunder them without mercy. He also spoiled the temple, and put a stop to the constant practice of offering a daily sacrifice of expiation for three years and six months.'"

Hannukah is not a celebration of some mindless massacre of Syrians; it is commemoration of a rebellion against an oppressive, occupying military force.
If you think celebrating Hannukah is somehow twisted, then I suppose so is our celebration of the Fourth of July.

Furthermore, what the fuck is Christmas anyway??
Most of our Christmas traditions hearken back to a time when the Roman Empire conquered the "barbarian" tribes of Europe in the name of Christianity, and assimilated those tribes by adapting their so-called pagan Feast Days to Christian themes. A Christmas tree is no more Christian than Stonehenge.

It really annoys me when people bemoan the Fate of Christmas and talk about the War on Christmas. I don't know about you, but everywhere I look from November to January, all I see is Christmas, Christmas, Christmas. Sure, maybe it's just the commercialized version of the holiday, but, again, what the fuck was Christmas to begin with besides a "corporate takeover" of an entire continent?

If Jesus came back today and was in a "throw out the moneychangers" mood, I imagine he'd be setting fire to a lot of Christmas trees and leaving a lot of menorahs intact.

Seriously... get an education.
Topic: What's your sign??
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 9:50:14 PM
It is just as easy to be dismissive of astrology, to claim the pet argument that people simply project themselves onto horoscopes, as it is to follow astrology in a simplistic way.
Likewise, it is just as easy to be an atheist as it is to be a dogmatic fundamentalist. They are both extreme conditions.

A true horoscope is much more than just a person's sun sign (what most dimestore / internet horoscopes are based on) -- it also involves the position of the moon, mars, venus, jupiter, etc., as well as which constellation was coming over the horizon at the time of birth. A true horoscope does not predict twelve "personality types," but rather thousands, perhaps tens of thousands combinations. (Btw, those same psychiatrists who concoct "research" to disprove horoscopes are quite content to categorize people into only TWO personality types and then claim they have some super special insight.)

Speaking of insight, our ancestors who devised the astrological system were ahead of their time in making observations of the universe and were the predecessors of modern-day astronomers. (Newton himself was a believer not only in science but also in astrology, alchemy, and christianity.) Is it possible that they had some special insight into the human condition and our relation to the cosmos? Should we dismiss all knowledge that is pre-Enlightenment, pre-Industrial Age, as being primitive or superstitious? Does it have no value beyond "entertainment purposes"?

And, Ruth, when you say you were an adult during the Age of Aquarius, I assume you mean the 60s, but obviously you weren't paying attention; that was the DAWNING of the Age of Aquarius -- it didn't ACTUALLY start until recently (perhaps 1987) ...and when they say "Age," they're not kidding: it's a 2000-year cycle.
So, enjoy the ride.

:P
Topic: Name 3 (or more) books that influenced you
Posted: Monday, November 1, 2010 3:37:58 PM
1984 by George Orwell
the Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
almost anything by William Faulkner
almost anything by Kurt Vonnegut
Topic: Pay To Spray: Republicanism Taken To It's Logical Conclusion
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 12:45:44 AM
uh... Truthseeker...
is that a misnomer? cause that's about the dumbest stretch of an analogy that i've ever heard

First, many firefighters sign up for the job because they WANT to help, they want to be Heroes or adventurers
(or they just like fire, or they're doing it for the chicks)

It is the BOSS who is following POLICY
BLINDLY!!!!!
who should be raked over the coals, not the firefighters who wept inside, frustrated by their tied hands
not the homeowner who had to sit by and lose everything, victim of an unfortunate incident, which, regardless of cause, is something that, generally speaking, you HELP people with!!!

GOD, i've never wanted to reach through my computer screen and punch someone as much as i do right now, and, as we all well know in this anonymous and callous age, that's saying a helluva lot!!!

and, yeah, i'm not even gonna talk about the nimrods who ordained this policy

All I know is it's gonna be hella interesting watching stupidity consume this planet like a virus.
BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!!!
Topic: that: pronoun or part of the that-clause?
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:36:38 PM
Sometimes when people encounter a sentence that seems too long, a sentence that has, perhaps, a complex structure, they assume that commas are missing or that the addition of commas would help make the sentence more clear.

And, yes, it is true that if you inserted commas (I wouldn't use dashes -- much too strong here -- also, off the subject, but keep in mind that a dash is TWO hyphens [ -- ] , not one [ - ] ) then the sentence might be easier to read,
but most sophisticated readers would have no trouble deciphering this sentence and, in fact, commas here would actually be incorrect.

As a general rule, anything that can be set off by commas is unnecessary to the meaning of the sentence.
So, according to this "rule" you should not do this:

"The truth is that, to play like the greats, you have to do what the greats do"

because doing so would create the implication that the actual meaning of the sentence is

"The truth is that you have to do what the greats do"

which is not true; it is a distortion of the intended meaning. The infinitive phrase "to play like the greats" is NECESSARY to the meaning of the sentence.
Thus, (general rule) no commas.

But don't tell Jane Austen.
She puts commas in sentences the way some people put ornaments on Christmas trees -- in every available space.

Topic: Barack Obama to publish children's book
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:32:10 PM
Read carefully and then there's no need for speculation.

It says quite clearly in the original post (in the first sentence, in fact -- no need to even dig for it) "...was written before Mr Obama took office in January 2009."

And I'm quite certain that no one who is anti-Obama, pro-Bush wants to get into a discussion about a President's vacation days.
Topic: that: pronoun or part of the that-clause?
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:28:23 PM
It's an introductory "that."
"You have" is the subject and verb of the clause and the "what" clause is the object.

Sometimes the "that" that begins a clause, especially a noun clause as in this very one that we are in right now or the one that appears earlier in this sentence <---or that one, the "that" is clearly the subject of the clause and, in some case, may function as an object.
In "that we are in right now," it may be that the "that" is the object of the preposition "in."
Typically, in noun clauses, the "that" has no function beyond its introductory capacity.
Topic: Legal Superheroes?
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:59:42 PM
the home page of Wolff & Byrd, Counselors of the Macabre

http://www.exhibitapress.com/
Topic: NPR
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:24:30 PM
I'm sorry, but anyone who buys into this myth that NPR has a definite liberal agenda or Democrat bias is being foolish.

NPR has the most incisive and balanced and thorough reporting of any news media in our country today. You would do yourself a service to try listening to it for a while instead of sticking to the conservative talking points.