Profile: Darkdread
About
User Name: Darkdread
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 111
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ¿Cómo es correcto, "le viste" o "lo viste"?
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:02:43 AM
En algunos países latinoamericanos como Chile, usar "le" nos suena chistoso y forzado, poco natural, a veces se usa a modo de burla o humorísticamente (algo así como cuando en USA imitan el acento británico), de modo que preferimos decir "lo vistió". "Le vistió" suena pomposo y distante, excesivamente formal y poco natural.
Topic: Que significa " axu" ?
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:59:42 AM
Hola,
Yo soy de Chile y sé de qué hablas! :)
Primero que todo decirte que ambas palabras son muy informales y coloquiales, es lenguaje algo deformado :(
Si la palabra es "axu" se refiere a lo que se dice cuando alguien estornuda (como Bless you! en inglés) pero mal escrito porque debería decir achú!
Si te refieres a uxa es aún más informal! creo que puede referirse a un derivado juvenil de la expresión "pucha!", que se dice cuando alguien se entera de algo que no le gusta mucho!
Por ejemplo una conversación entre una mamá y su hijo:
Mamá: no, no puedes salir a jugar hoy primero debes estudiar.
Hijo: uxa!! :( pero mamá yo ya estudié dejame salir!
Mamá: no, ya te lo dije, primero los estudios!
Hijo: Uxa!! :(

Pero debería decir "pucha" no entiendo por qué algunas personas en este país asocian la X con la CH.
Espero te sirva, saludos!
Topic: Speaking of kinds of streets, what is "a drive"?
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:47:09 PM
You all have been so clear and helpful, thanks a lot!! now www.theferedictionary will teach me how to pronounce "cul de sac" and yes, it is a nightmare for cars heeheh
Applause
Topic: Speaking of kinds of streets, what is "a drive"?
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:41:20 PM
Hello good people,
I once visited the US and there was a road called "Sunset drive". I always wondered why "drive" and not street or avenue. That was a pretty long road, but inside the city so it was not a highway/motorway. Can anybody give me some hints?
Also, what name do you give for a short street with a dead end? or just street? if you need to give your address for example.
Thanks a lot!
Topic: short- long adjectives
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 2:38:17 PM
What about 'common'?
More common? or commoner?
and 'simple'?
More simple or simpler?
Thanks
Topic: HAVE and TAKE
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 2:33:54 PM
Just like "TAKE a shower" (American English)
Have a shower (British)
Topic: Japan to start a nation
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:16:15 PM
It is an interesting idea to propose... for someone who is not Japanese. But when you have grown and lived in a land it is hard to simply leave it to start a new country.
I saw many people in my country saying they would not move to other cities off the coast after our earthquake/tsunami. And that they felt the will to rebuild in the exact same places where the tide had destroyed so much. The only way to understand this is that some people develop a strong love for the land where they grew up and lived, even if it is dangerous.
Topic: Spanish expressions reversed in English
Posted: Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:10:55 PM
"Bride and groom" [Marido y Mujer]
Topic: How to describe a "strong wind"?
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:41:33 AM
Cat wrote:
It was a day of gale force winds. Or insert hurricane if that fits better.

Yes, this is what I wanted, examples of how one would use it in a real context, thanks!
Topic: How to describe a "strong wind"?
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:02:57 AM
I know some ways to refer to a lot of rain, like It's raining cats and dogs, it's pouring, etc.
And you can also describe very cold weather, but how would you normally describe a day with a lot of strong winds? "It's windy today!"?? If we have +100km/hr for example? or "what strong winds"? I don't know, help me, thanks in advance.