Profile: Hlophe
About
User Name: Hlophe
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: difference between of amusing and of being amusing.
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:23:49 AM
being amusing = being funny (ha ha)
amusing (oneself) has to do with finding things to do that pass the time. "He amused himself with card tricks while he awaited the arrival of his friends."
Topic: Are they gramatically correct?
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:37:32 AM
Like Cass I'd like to beg Kenny not to use these sentences!
Topic: present tense used in telling about the past
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 11:58:46 AM
You use this form because it's reported speech. Another way of writing the sentence is with direct speech (i.e. with quotation marks) : He said, "we (or maybe you plural) should anchor the boat". and "We (or you plural) must make for the shore," he told us.
Topic: British words
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:45:20 PM
Haggis -- Great! Very spicy and great fried.
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:59:00 PM
TB wrote:
RubyMoon wrote:
TB wrote:
Okay, I' embarrassed to admit, I've never had "fish and chips". What is/are "fish and chips" and is it worth trying to find an authentic fish and chips place here in the States? Have I lived if I die without having eaten fish and chips? Angel

TB--I live in New England, near the coast, and "fish and chips" is/are served almost everywhere it seems--
it is deep fried fish (batter coated) with french fries. The fish is usually haddock or cod and the french fries are supposed to be cut in a circular/slab fashion to resemble potato chips.

Thanks RubyMoon, I seem to remember hearing something about the Brits dipping either the fish or the chips in vinegar. Do you know anything about that?

Definitely. ALWAYS salt and vinegar -- splashed over the fish n chips. In Scotland, in addition to unhealthy fish n chips, they also do deep fried Mars Bars (chocolate bars with caramel filling)
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:09:55 PM
http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/ is fun if you want to know words used by the Scots, Irish, Posh British and Ali G!
Topic: can somebody tell me
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:03:28 PM
peterhewett wrote:
WE ARE NOT GAINING POINTS...THEY ARE POINTS THAT WE MADE IN OUR PRESENTATIONS. They are directly related to the number of posts we make, and not to the validity/quality, or otherwise, of our comments.

So what's your definition of "gaining" . . . is it so different from "making"??? If we get points for making a post, we are GAINING points.
Topic: can somebody tell me
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 11:03:29 AM
Obviously it's just a way of keeping us hooked/active on the forum. Everyone loves to see that they are gaining "points" (even if we know that they're not really FOR anything).
Topic: What do you call it in your country?
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 10:59:14 AM
valenarwen wrote:
Does anybody call the rubber boots "wellies"?
I think havaianas are known everywhere, there's a word for flip flops / thongs / chinelas / chancletas we can all understand

Wellington boots are called wellies in Scotland.
Topic: new words
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:13:12 PM
emilykathryn wrote:
What do you think of this?

Stupid