Profile: Sal
About
User Name: Sal
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 6
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Should the Canadian Govt Join France in Banning Child Beauty Pageants?
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:07:32 PM
When my son was two, my husband entered him in a local pageant. There was no prize money and the entry fees went to buy playground equipment for a local park. I thought it was silly but went along with the entry for a good cause. I did not even take a camera with me because I did not expect him to win. For talent he did a forward roll, gave me a high five and belw kisses to the crowd. He won and his prize was a party at McDonalds with the other kids who won in their age categories.

For the next year we appeared at every community event that our town had. During that year we helped raise money for an animal shelter,the local library and for food pantires. We dedicated a playgournd, we spent a day at an adult daycare facility, and we helped plant a community garden. This was a good experience for our family. At a very young age my son was exposed to helping others in his community and it became his norm. It was one of his earliest memories and today at 13 he is a very involved kid with the outgoing personality that was just starting to bloom when he was two.

Now, one does not have to win a pageant to become involved in the community, but in our case, it forced us to be much more involved than we would have been otherwise. The pageant question is not so black and white. Pageants can be shallow and not contribute much to a child's development or they can have a very positive impact. It is what you choose to make of them. And yes, I still think my kid is the most beautiful child on the face of the earth.
Topic: Anxiety/Depression/Bipolar Children?
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:04:10 PM
Dangeralert,

Seek professional help with your son. With the bonding-breaking-bonding you describe from his early years you may want to aks about Reactive Attachment Disorders (RAD). I adopted my daughter from Russia when she was 3 and she has RAD and similar behavior to what you describe with your son. I am often the target of my daughter's outubrsts and the fault of all that is wrong in the world belongs to me, at least in her eyes. I think I understand a little of what you are feeling. There is hope but you are going to need help.
Topic: The Language God Talks
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 3:17:07 PM
Has anyone read this book by Herman Wouk? I would be interested in what others think of the book.
Topic: Energy Crisis
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 2:47:11 PM
I believe there are government funded research groups, although perhaps not as well coordinated or funded as the Manhatan Project. My brother is a former DOE scientist who is now working in the private sector because it is easier to get funding and move the reasearch along.

National Renewable Energy Laboratory

http://www.nrel.gov/
Topic: best language
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:31:13 AM
Susie, may I offer some suggestions. My son has been bullied and is now being called a "behavior issue" by his school because he is simply sick of the treatment and refuses to be a victim and thus has used some not so nice language in an attempt to defend himself.

My suggestions:
Telling kids to "ignore" or to "just walk away" simply does not work. The bad guys just follow.

Finding an advocate does not always work and kids are very good at figuring out that you have told on them and then acting all sweet and nice when the advocate is around and then attacking the first chance they get.

Stating that "that hurts my feelings or treat me with respect" does not work. The kids just laugh.

Please make sure the school staff understand that bullying is not just violent threats and language. It also includes language meant to hurt and crush. My son was adopted and has routinely been called "the abortion" this year. Our school does not recognize that language as bullying, but when my son replied "shut your f-n mouth or I will shut it for you" he was labeled as the behavior problem.

Keep in mind that many kids that bully have themselves been bullied. If a kid is treatening others, we need to find out why. Chances are they have been or are currently being degraded on a daily basis.

Zero tolerance policies which punish the use of violent terminology in language and which do not address mean and demoralizing speeech are inherently not just and unfortunately routinely embraced by school districts.

If you have any great lines to use in response to being called an abortion, I would love to share them with my son.
Topic: Trademark names in Scientific publications - Specifically EU
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 3:53:06 PM
I am looking for information on the use of registered trademark names in publications. My understanding is that for commercial purposes the trademark symbol must appear, but for editorial purposes, such as in a scientific publication, only the name is required. If one did elect to include the trademark symbol, it would only appear in the first occurence and not in each use throughout the document. This is consistent with the AMA style guidelines. Is the same convention used in European jornals?