Number of Posts: 3
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Esperanto?
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:51:16 PM

Samuel said:

>English is enjoying the status of Lingua franca
>If you think Esperanto will still flourish

They are 2 different languages. Both are very useful. I studied and learned both. It took me a couple of months since I "discovered" Esperanto until I started to speak it. I needed many, many years to reach that level in English, even after I moved to New York City.

I was practicing English many more hours that I was using Esperanto. Reading was enough practice for Esperanto. After being able to understand well "The New York Times", it took me years to learn to listen to English.

When traveling, English is very useful to help arrange more traveling, hotels, tours, even some restaurants. Esperanto works better if you want to make friends, be invited to dinner, or stay overnight at the house of local people, and being accompanied to tour their towns. always speaking at the same level.

It is very frustrating when one person speaks at the level that can be acquired by learning a foreign language, with somebody that has spoken English from birth.

Please learn a little bit more about Esperanto.
You can start at

http://esperantofre.com

Please write to me. If you click my name "Enrique", at the beginning or at the end of the page, you will find my email address.

Best wishes,

Enrique

. . . When they spoke English to me, it was
. . . because they wanted to sell me something.
. . . When they spoke Esperanto to me, it was
. . . because they wanted to be my friends.

Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:02:00 PM

Bugdoctor said:

>Personally, I'd rather be conversant in a couple of other languages.

I do too. But learning Esperanto took me a few months. Learning English took a huge part of my life.

>I think that would be more beneficial in the long run.

If you are going to spend a lot of time in the concerning country, you are right. I learned English to live in USA.

I know a lady that learned French in rather short time ... with a lot of work. Then she did some of her studying in Paris, with teachers and co-students that spoke French, while living at the house of French speakers. Already passed more than 15 years from the last time she used French, even if she visited other countries.

I have spoken Esperanto in many countries, and I have spoken Esperanto with people from other countries while they were visiting USA. Some of them had studied English during many years but didn't reach a conversation level. The others didn't study English.

Enrique
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:41:09 PM

Next month will be 50 years from the moment I started to learn and use Esperanto. The first uses were reading and writting. My first conversations started 2 months after my first trying to learn the language.

It took me many years to reach that stage in English.

Ameebolah said:

>Is this maybe one of the reasons why the
>language won't "catch on?"

Esperanto did catch on. There are users in most countries.

>How do you feel about Esperanto?

It is a great language, easy to learn, and easy to use after learning it. It can be learned from a book. I did that. But today there are lots of learning materials on the web. Maybe more than for any other language ... all for free.

>Do you think it will gain popularity?

It has been gaining popularity since publication in 1887. Unfortunately, some dictators, like Stalin and Hittler, thought that Esperanto was not convenient for them, because it allowed contacts with other countries, and ordered to kill many of the Esperanto speakers.

>Do you think that a universal language
>could eventually be used successfully?

Esperanto has been used successfully during more than a century. I use Esperanto almost every day.

>I would love to have your input!

Last Monday I spent the day showing San Francisco and other places to the north, to a man from Wien, Austria. Our only common language was Esperanto.

Right now I am preparing a trip to China. Esperanto speakers are helping me now. Others will help me during my stay.

Best wishes,
Enrique, from Fremont, California, USA