Profile: York
About
User Name: York
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 95
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Gerund Phrase and Verb--Singular or Plural?
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 2:10:37 PM
Thank you.
Topic: Gerund Phrase and Verb--Singular or Plural?
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 1:58:09 PM
I'm confronted with the following text: If making sales are your goal. It sounds wrong. Should it be: If making sales is your goal? Thank you!
Topic: Public breastfeeding
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:50:32 AM
Beautifully stated, Romany.
Topic: Public breastfeeding
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 3:28:31 PM
I think the solution is simple. If a man can't get past the fact that hooters/honkers/bazookas/melons/knockers are actually breasts and their purpose is to nourish an infant--then he should just remove himself from the scene.
Topic: The misuse of knowledge.
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 3:39:48 PM
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to believe that the dumbing down of America is deliberate. Underfund public schools and promote charter schools and private schools (e.g.church-sponsored schools) via voucher systems and you're creating a whole different kind of education.

Here in Georgia, you either have the money for a private school, or it's a crap shoot where your kids will go. Effectively, it has reinstated segregation.

Unfortunately, the impact is widespread. Our kids aren't as smart, our country is xenophobic and there's a whole mass of uneducated and under-educated people who buy the Fox News and Sarah Palin garbage.

It has become so extreme. The money behind our legislative and judicial systems is terrifying. Deregulation and state control, combined with the uneducated masses, have turned the country into a new wild, wild west. Cops can kill with impunity. And everyone's slinging guns.

In the meantime, one quarter of our children live in poverty. Homelessness is rampant. Our prisons are overfilled with people who have mental illnesses and the detritus of mandatory sentencing. Our health care is by far the costliest in the world, yet we rank 37th worldwide in healthcare quality, sandwiched between Costa Rica and Slovenia. And the middle class is fading away while the wealthy...

Sorry for leaping on the soapbox. I'm disheartened at what's happening in our country.
Topic: Is or Are?
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 1:51:15 PM
Thank you. I thought "are" was right. But "is" sounded correct. Add the word thing and it makes sense.
Topic: Is or Are?
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 12:49:52 PM
I'm struggling with the following sentence:

What’s most compelling about the show are the characters.

I believe this is correct.

OR

What’s most compelling about the show is the characters.

I believe my error is in matching the verb to an adjective. Yes? No?

Topic: O'Neal, ONeal, Neal?
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 3:12:54 PM
During a discussion on ancestry this week, I mentioned that I'm descended from an O'Neal. I was asked how the name was spelled and received this explanation: Mine is the best spelling. If you've stolen one horse they take away the "O." If you've stolen two horses, the apostrophe is removed and you are simply "Neal." I suppose this could work with any "O'" or "Mc" name.

Has anyone heard of this before?
Topic: Scot = Brit?
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 3:02:15 PM
thar wrote:
York wrote:
Cat wrote:
It seems like sometimes English and British are being used interchangeably. My ancestry is Norwegian and Scandinavian is used to describe Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland. Is this how British is used? To describe English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish?

Most of my ancestors came from Scotland, England and Ireland. My mother always referred to this as a "duke's mixture." In looking the phrase up, however, I'm not finding a reference to support this.

I would say the ducal reference is to dukes and royal dukes with nothing to do, finding recreational pursuits all over England, Ireland, Scotland, making little dukelets all over. Drool

Ah...the lord's right.
Topic: Scot = Brit?
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 1:27:57 PM
Cat wrote:
It seems like sometimes English and British are being used interchangeably. My ancestry is Norwegian and Scandinavian is used to describe Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland. Is this how British is used? To describe English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish?

Most of my ancestors came from Scotland, England and Ireland. My mother always referred to this as a "duke's mixture." In looking the phrase up, however, I'm not finding a reference to support this.