Statistics
Number of Posts: 3
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Legalize It!
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:06:45 PM
risadr wrote:
amandade wrote:
Pretty good topic all around, I think. Personally, and I don't think Risa asked for me to put my opinion here because it would surprise anyone, but, I'm all for pot being legal. There's a number of reasons really, and most of them have been stated already throughout this thread.

First and foremost, what harm does it do, really? In my opinion, none. Cigarettes can give you cancer and a whole slew of other problems. Alcohol, makes the right kind of person a belligerent piece of trash, that does idiotic things, like getting behind the wheel of their car and going for a drive. Pot doesn't make you belligerent, or as far as I know give you cancer or emphysema. It may give you a powerful case of the giggles, but I hardly see that as being detrimental to society as a whole.

I know that I haven't expressed my opinions on this matter explicitly, but that's because I'm trying to play devil's advocate a little bit...

That said, how can you say that marijuana is "safer" medically speaking? I understand that some studies have been done, but the findings have been inconclusive. Also, tobacco is currently regulated by the FDA, marijuana isn't. Tobacco, itself, isn't what causes cancer - it's the chemical additives in cigarettes and smokeless tobacco that cause cancer. So, what's to say that a few months/years/etc. after the legalization of marijuana that it won't have been commercialized to such a point that chemical additives are being used, leading to the assertion that "smoking pot causes cancer"?

I know how I actually feel about the legalization of marijuana (and I know that you do, too, Amanda), I'm just saying...

You make a decent argument, Bibi. There's a very big chance that if and when marijuana became legal that tabacco companies could jump on it and do the same thing they did with tabacco. But I don't think that should stop it from being legal. There are too many benefits from THC, from a medical stand point,which I could give some firsthand experience on, but it's a long story so I won't, lol. Not to mention,as I've said already, it's probably one of the least harmful recreational drugs that are out there. If it were legal, I know I wouldn't bother smoking cigarettes anymore.

Personally, I think the positive outweighs the negative in this particular situation. There are things that -could- happen, but we won't really know until it got to that point. Speculation is great and all, and so is playing devil's advocate, because it brings interesting points to light, but the "what if's" you're mentioning isn't really enough, in my eyes, to agree with not making marijuana legal.

Now, lets actually hear your views on the issue, Bibi. Yes, I know them already, but not everyone else here does.
Topic: Waffles
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:49:34 PM
alvrez wrote:
Waffles, with cream cheese and strawberries

This. But instead of strawberries, put syrup. Yum, indeed.
Topic: Legalize It!
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:41:58 PM
Pretty good topic all around, I think. Personally, and I don't think Risa asked for me to put my opinion here because it would surprise anyone, but, I'm all for pot being legal. There's a number of reasons really, and most of them have been stated already throughout this thread.

First and foremost, what harm does it do, really? In my opinion, none. Cigarettes can give you cancer and a whole slew of other problems. Alcohol, makes the right kind of person a beligerent piece of trash, that does idiotic things, like getting behind the wheel of their car and going for a drive. Pot doesn't make you beligerent, or as far as I know give you cancer or emphysema. It may give you a powerful case of the giggles, but I hardly see that as being detrimental to society as a whole.