Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:06:46 PM
here's the translation I received:

Listen, Gentlemen, and let me tell you
The clock's struck ten. Now
Mind your stoves and lanterns
So that our town won't suffer damage.
Topic: Hilfe mit Lied von den Nachtwaechter
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:08:16 AM
Okay, thank you. It was a bit hard to navigate, but I made a post about it.
Topic: Hilfe mit Lied von den Nachtwaechter
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:06:01 AM
Hallo, Ich kann nicht wirklich Deutsch, aber ich moechte Hilfe mit der Uebersetzung eines kleine Lied...

Hoert ihr Herren und lasst Euch sagen
Die Glocke die hat zehn geschlagen,
Bewahrt das Feuer und das Licht
Damit Der Stadt kein Schad' geschicht.

Ich habe...

Hear your parents and let them tell you
The bell that has struck ten,
Preserves the Fire and the Light
By which the city no harm ???

or
By which the city ??? no harm

- - - - -

Please help with this translation. Ich sah es hier, "In Northern Spain" Danke.
Topic: Stopping, Standing, Parking
Posted: Friday, November 6, 2009 2:35:09 PM
TL Hobs wrote:
Maybe the sign should read, "Just Keep On Going."

Haha :)
Topic: GSA / Incest: Same thing or worlds apart?
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2009 6:17:27 PM
"Who cares." should not get applause.
Topic: Great "American" novels?
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2009 9:16:47 PM
A great thing about Moby Dick is its reviews. I don't think with any other book I can be as amused reading comments about it, good or bad.

Maybe Saul Bellow doesn't get mentioned often enough. I've only read Henderson the Rain King, and it was good, but look forward to his more acclaimed works Herzog and The Adventures of Augie March.

And I'm one who wonders at the literary status of Mark Twain and Huck Finn. When I read it, it didn't strike me as great literature. I thought it was good. I wonder if his status is as high as it is because of his persona in American culture, and not for the actual books he wrote.
Topic: favorite writing supplies.
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2009 9:04:22 PM
I prefer good re-usable pens. I only have a simple Parker Jotter now, but hope one day for a fine pen that doesn't even use disposable refills. I want to refill from ink jar to pen with a syringe or dropper.

But when I look around that method or make seems very rare. Also design is often ugly. Too many pens look fat and overwrought, with too much black...

For notebooks, happily I found out about Moleskine not long ago. They have their share of unattractive notebooks, but they also make some I love: the simple brown kraft-paper bound ones, with fine pale yellow paper instead of too stark white.
Topic: book endings.
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:49:52 PM
I usually like the endings of the books I read. My favorites are probably ones that end on a beautiful emotional rush of language, like Ulysses, You Shall Know Our Velocity, and most recently Henderson the Rain King.

Those enchant me, and reading them beforehand would deprive me of something special.
Topic: Recommended Audiobooks
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:34:39 PM
these aren't novels or non-fiction,

but if you like Shakespeare, I recommend the Arkangel Shakespeare production of "Hamlet". I love Simon Russel Beale as Hamlet. Also Naxos' Recordings version of King Lear is great.

And I suggest "the News from Lake Wobegon" by Garrison Keillor. These are stories about a fictional small midwestern town, taken from his radio program A Prairie Home Companion. There are various collections, but I'm familiar with the seasonal set (winter, fall, summer, spring) and one titled "Home on the Prairie".
Topic: The Truth, or not
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:02:10 PM
the truth is round