User Name: Romany
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14,373
[1.59% of all post / 4.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Why Trump is going to lose in 2020.
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:01:08 AM

I agree with Chazlee in thinking that it will be women who ensure Trump's collapse...tit-for-tat!

I've been listening to all the women who are coming forward to stand in the elections next month: they're thoughtful, serious,determined and - most important of all - they are young! They live in the real world and not in the insanely out-of-touch fantasies of a bunch of corrup old men.

Even if it were not Trump himself at the helm, American women still have it really tough: they are just not regarded as "serious" people by those in power. The culture of the "Battle of the Sexes" still exists in the USA alone of all the other developed countries. And as the world about us becomes more transparent through technology, so many of them have now realised this that they would have battled for changes anyway, I believe.

I've watched every debate, discussion, interview I could get hold of, with inspirational women, groups, organisations and movements. Times have changed, the world moves on and so many women are determined to break the stranglehold of the dirty and corrup old guys who privately (and some even publicly!) still consider women as either second-class or "uppity".

The only way America could be "great" is if they change what is supposed to be their ruling ethos of "All men are created equal" to "All people are created equal" ....so that the just-over-half of the population (the majority!) who are female are no longer looked on as dismissable, or as people who "...you can grab by the pussy" just because disgusting old men snigger and giggle "I can't help myself!"

Topic: On Death of a Loving Wife
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 6:21:54 AM

Oh Ashwin, how very awful for you!

I hope you take up offers of family and friends to help you through this time. We are here to offer condolances and to let you know that we are all thinking of you - but let those around you help with the practical things.

Though it seems impossible now, the day will come when you will think of you wife and smile at a memory or laugh at something you both once did together - and you will realise that though she may be gone, you have the memory of a wonderful woman and your life with her...and that can never be taken away from you as she was.
Stay strong, sure. But cry when you need to as well.
Topic: Inhabit with
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 7:00:27 PM

Doom,

Do keep in mind that first: someone had to translate it from Medieval Italian to Modern Italian. Then someone had to translate the Modern Italian to Modern English.

Over the 700-odd years since Petrach wrote these words a lot of changes have taken place in language.Thw words have been translated umpteen times. Even if we could get hold of the original text, which may even have journeyed by way of Latin, it's doubtful we shall ever get to know if this particular translation corresponds with what he actually wrote.

So we can only, really, note the usage. We don't know if it's 'correct' or not - but we can keep a look-out when reading other texts of the period. If the usage appears often we can trace the translaters and see if it was a construct common in the work of any of them...well you get the idea. It would be a full-time job to find out how he himself had originally said it.

But we can't "correct" it:- because we have no idea which words Petrach actually used.
Topic: Take your elbows off the table
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 4:55:07 AM
pj is right. It's something parents say to children when they are trying to teach them table manners: it means they must sit up straight and get on with eating; not using the dining table to mess about on.
Topic: chairperson, chairman, spokesperson, spokesman (Compound Nouns)
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 12:57:28 PM
"if the person in charge is a woman, then we can say 'chairwoman', otherwise else, chairman."

Not just pointing this out because it's incorrect - but because am not at all sure of what it means. I read it as meaning: Unless we know (are absolutely sure) that the chairperson is a woman then we use "chairman". If so, this is absolutely incorrect.

"Chairperson" is the default. As is "spokesperson".

At least in all the meetings I go to "spokesperson" and *"chairperson" are used no matter what gender the person is. Only when one is addressing them directly do we use the wo/man suffix: "Chairwoman Morris, may I interject?" "Spokesman Hindman, may I ask what you think?"

* Thar Whenever I go to meetings where a human being is referred to as an inanimate object I regress to about 8 years old and giggle. I once had so much trouble with it that I was convulsed after the first words, as I tried to ask the question "Is the Chair determined not to stand?". Very shame-making!
Topic: Is this sentene normal and easy to be understood?
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 10:06:05 AM

The "Go well" and "Stay well" come from Zulu and Khosa farewells and are direct translations. The Zulu greeting translates as "I see you" and once in a while someone says that in English too.

Ozok -

I don't know what you mean by "declare the discrepency"? Surely you, answering after me, are the one who pointed to a discrepency?

As to "declaring" it - did you mean you wanted it acknowledged? All I can say is that my response comes after being married to a South African; living there 17 years; writing for (and being edited by)South African radio, tv & theatre; teaching; and having two children in school.

You, on the other hand, drew a different conclusion.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:16:21 AM
This is African English... "now now" means "at this very time", "immediately." while " just now" means "in a minute" or "a short while (ago)" .

So I'd punctuate it "They have been here. Now now they were here."
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:16:20 AM
This is African English... "now now" means "at this very time", "immediately." while " just now" means "in a minute" or "a short while (ago)" .

So I'd punctuate it "They have been here. Now now they were here."
Topic: OG ?
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:44:05 PM

Hope!!Applause Applause

I never thought I'd hear those words from you - you're getting interested in History?

I shall have that sentence printed out and hung above my desk.Applause Dancing

(Do I need this Whistle ?)
Topic: Post code
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:34:50 PM

Down here all that's needed is one's name and postcode for anyone to find your full address. Taxis, deliveries, service providers, companies...and friends coming to visit for the first time just need that.

So much better than spelling out every word and repeating "No, Number 16, not Number 60." down the phone!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.