Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14,153
[1.58% of all post / 4.26 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: NaTuRal EnglIsH
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:55:14 PM

I would see it used if someone were compaining that their instructor always took ages took mark essays and get them back to them. And the other persons says "Occasionally, OUR instructor's returned them the next day." It's that uncontracted 'has' that puts the spanner in the works, I think. We just wouldn't say it in full so it sounds like a bad fit when you hear it?
Topic: exact same clothes
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:42:30 PM
TMe

Dancing Dancing
Topic: That discovery, which came from his hallucinations
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:36:44 PM

Perhaps I'm just being obtuse here, but I see no connection between the two parts of the sentence that the next day he "woke" to a messy apartment and then "would fix" his eyes on a newspaper. In what way are you using "would"?
Topic: Natural English-Paragraph
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:27:37 PM

I think I would ask him if he was writing to someone from his own culture or to native BE or AE speakers.

If the company/ organisation he's contacting is a Western one I would ask that, in this particular case, he let himself be guided by you?

If it's one from his neck of the woods but they speak different dialects so prefer to use English, then I'd just let it go, I think.
Topic: a transient trade
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:16:55 PM

I would also have considered people who have to follow work through different seasons to be transient traders. Like skilled shearers, who have to spend the rest of the year doing musters, or dipping sheep in the other seasons. So they do things to get by on, until the right season for their expertise and skill. When they make their biggest money.
Topic: Treason
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:00:04 PM

I think I already mentioned that Governments and diplomats, and people everywhere, have begun making a distinction between the Republican Party and Trump and his "Trumpists" within the Government and in his fairly static base.

And the thing they have in common with Trump is complete ignorance of how the world outside America operates. So they keep on about Democrats v Republicans and Hilary and Obama, with no concept of the consequences that are reverberating from Allies to enemies all around them. Nor with any recognition of the fact that it's not just Looney Lefties who are condemning this man, but whole countries and governments...who couldn't give a rat's arse about what He said and She said two years ago. And who don't much care about who belongs to which party at the present time.

Only about what to do about this guy who is blundering about on the world stage, affecting the lives of millions of people each time he speaks out in the Big World outside American borders. And when the Elected servants of the people in House & in Senate are going to remember that their responsibilities are to the people of the country they govern - and not to one person.

Whether that person be Republican or Democrat is incidental. Because their sole, 24/7 duty, every day they are in office, is to do what's best for the country.

While right now the President of the United States has been sidelined by his Allies and other world leaders as being "unreliable". As well as untruthful to a degree that seems to reflect some deep pathology.
Topic: NaTuRal EnglIsH
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:03:48 PM

No. But it's grammatical.
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:01:15 PM

TMe

I think the point we are trying to get across is that we find "exact same", or variants such as "exactly same", not to be tautological; but inexact.
Topic: Natural English-Paragraph
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:52:20 PM

Doom - as Drago said (he's so much more diplomatic than I am!) this simply isn't the kind of missive that a speaker of English would find 'natural'.

The very first sentence ("Please read this letter carefully and take it seriously") would have the ordinary English speaker (tho, not perhaps an AE speaker?) chucking the letter in the bin. It sounds like a ransom note or a terrorist threat! We simply don't give orders to people. ( However, some AE speakers don't understand this in the same way we do. That's why I said that perhaps certain AE speakers might not chuck it straight in the bin.)

Drago has tip-toed in his very gentle way around it by his hyphenated 'feels like', and 'strange'. But, more bluntly, there is nothing at all "natural" about this letter - to most native English speakers. Not just because of the way the language in it is used; but because the whole procedure and way of going about the complaint procedure doesn't fit culturally into our language.

This sounds like a direct translation from another language/culture. Thus no, I don't think it sounds like "natural" English.

(Do you understand what I mean here? Am I making senseThink ?)
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 4:24:31 AM
Agree Drago. In BE students are are corrected for using the collocation "exact same", on exactly the grounds you state.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.