Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14,975
[1.63% of all post / 4.27 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: A small man
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:57:11 AM
I've been following this whole debacle since the last days of the campaign. But it's really getting too embarrassing now. What kind of a system gives one man the right to close down an entire Government? Especially a country which keeps invading other countries to spread this form of government!!

And what all this has shown us is that The Orange One isn't the only small man - all the dreadful sychopants who support his immorality, his bigotry, his narcissism simply for the sake of money are small, selfish little men too. There's something terribly wrong with a country which is ruled solely by the love of money.

Watching coverage of small, spitting, over-excited little men yelling and shreiking utter schoolboy nonsense, whose idea of discussion is the old Nursery-school line "I know you are, but what am I?" is very squirm-making.

Watching a mob of ignorant, badly-educated semi-mobsters behave like rival gangs of kids down at the Mall on a Saturday afternoon would be pitiful if it weren't so tragic: people working for no money, children stolen from their parents, sanctioned bigotry, pollution given the go-ahead, lack of medical care, lack of freedom of choice for women, and kow-towing to anyone who has more money than one does oneself: this is the "Great" America people voted in a moron for?

Truly embarrassing.
Topic: On at night.
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:29:20 AM

The first one tells us that you only do X in the nightime - any night - but never in the daytime. "I love going clubbing at night." "I only get a chance to relax at night."
You're referring to activities that take place ONLY in the nightime.

The second one is talking about the duration of a project. We don't know whether it's being worked on in the day or not. But the sentence tells us the project began at night. It was a specific night: the first night you worked on it. As you'll have seen by now, we always use "on" when talking about a specific day:

"On the first day of Xmas my trulove gave to me...."
"On Xmas Day we always go to my Grandmother's house."
"I'm taking the day off on the first of April."
Topic: Tense
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:16:16 AM

The first sentence tells us what they are doing now; at this very minute.

The second tells us this is what they habitually do: every time they have a meal this is what they do afterwards.
Topic: Day
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:14:24 AM

We use "in" : "...in the next two weeks/in the next couple of days/in the days to come....
Topic: On at night.
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:12:20 AM
Ataturk,

So sorry, but I don't know what you mean?

WHEN do we say "at night" and when do we say "on the first night"? Or, rather, when do we say it that's confusing?

Could you possibly provide a couple of sentences in the context which is puzzling you?
Topic: What we called for the slices of colour pencil?
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 6:08:02 AM

Ah yes, Drago - I came across that small nugget some time ago, too. Interesting.

Despite the ad. campaign I still don't like diamonds. I find them cold and bland - even when they sparkle.
Topic: As opposed to
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 5:59:33 AM

Drago,

I see no necessity to change "so" to "very" at all.

In fact, I find the "so" sentences sound much more "natural". The sentences with "very" have, to me, a more formal feel than I'd use in normal exchanges.

So yeah, probably:- I'd guess it's just the way different people "hear" it.
Topic: Madam
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 5:40:51 AM

In BE & AE there's no such concept as a "madam name."

If someone has taken her husband's name when they marry, we refer to the name she had as a single woman(her family name) as her "maiden name." (A maiden is an unmarried woman).

If she has taken her husband's family name we refer to that as her "married name."

Fewer and fewer women in UK and Australia take their husband's name or, if they do, it's only used on social occasions - in their professional dealings they continue to use their maiden name.
Topic: One day a furious storm blew up, but she refused to get out of the pool. Something made her carry on. Then she realized that, as
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 5:29:40 AM

As I read the sentence I kept on thinking "In a pool?"

For exactly the reasons Thar gave: I never even got to thinking about the grammar or anything else - just 'A POOL got rough and cold in a storm?" "The water suddenly turned cold in a POOL?"

So it's not so much about the grammar - it's the premise of the sentence which is just...weird.
Topic: Recession
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 5:18:27 AM

Yes, the sentence is correct as Ataturk originally wrote it. We would retain the "the" in front of "housing collapse".

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.