Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13,554
[1.57% of all post / 4.31 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: help me :(
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 6:37:20 AM
Hi there Am,y and welcome to TFD.

We are not like a Google Search, where you just enter some key words to get an answer. This is a forum. We talk to each other and try to be polite and communicative. If you have a problem with an aspect of English, tell us about it, and we'll talk back to you. We're people - not Apps!
Topic: still-one-more
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 6:29:28 AM

I was searching for a way to explain, as I read your post - but then I read the last line; and realised that was the easiest way to go.

So yes, you're completely right - it does indeed mean 'another'.
Topic: Miners’ Welfare
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 5:43:55 AM

Well The Mechanic's Hall isn't a pub either.

Yes, he mentioned all the pubs as landmarks - because in any English city, town or village there are always lots of pubs which are the centre of social life - more so back in the day when there were no Clubs to go to. To this day we give directions in accordance with pubs: - "You turn left at The Basketmakers Arms, keep going past the Slug and Lettuce, and you'll see The Town Hall up ahead."

Other large buildings with which most people are familiar are also landmarks: both the institutional buildings mentioned would be very important in a mining village (especially the Welfare one!) and everyone would be familiar with them.
Topic: He pee on his pants.
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 5:13:58 AM

Or you could say, as we do in BE: "He wet his pants." "He wet the bed."
Topic: undercashier
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:56:55 PM
The "under..." was the go-to person if the gardener, footman, cashier, etc. wasn't available. In fact, in the Diplomatic Corps. it was taken to the realms of ridiculousness: one could be an "Under-Assistant to the Chief Assistant of the Under Secretary."

If you were an "under-" it was understood that you were next in line for the next rung up the ladder when the incumbent gardener, cashier, chief-assistant popped their clogs or was fired. In some cases the person you were "under" hung on like grim death and simply wouldn't die so you spent your whole working life never taking the next step up the ladder.

(Dickens had a lot of characters who were "unders" - considering his own father's working life, they must have seemed like strange men to the young writer.)

Needless to say our whole society has changed its ideas now and our working frameworks are much different. (Well...except in the Diplomatic Corps.)

Topic: You know, before I had another life, a family, a job and all that.
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:42:58 AM

Nikitus: once again: you don't need to provide a paragraph and then provide it again divided into segments: once is enough.

It's a pretty good para. and the only thing that needs to be changed is the "before".

In spoken English it would be absolutely fine - because of the way we emphasise words with expression (i.e. our voice goes up and down).

But in written English that "before" leads us to question "before what?". So though we might SAY it that way in colloquial speech, we would write it as "You know, I used to have....." or "I once had..." for clarification.
Topic: "still" at the end of a sentence
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:31:54 AM

Fyfardens -

Yes, I know: usage of "wrong" and "incorrect" is a snare a lot of people fall into...a throw-back to the days when Grammar was regarded as proscriptive?
Topic: did or had done
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:24:17 AM

In BE "I wish I didn't do it" is used exactly as both Fyfardens and Audiendus have explained.

Using "I wish I didn't do it" as any form of Past tense would be considered either incorrect or just damnably confusing!
Topic: Wouldn’t shame it, neither
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:56:26 AM

Well then, it means that if the baby were to be a Tevershall baby instead of coming from the Wragby family the coming child would would not disgrace or shame the Wragby family. i.e. even if the baby IS illegitimate.

The idea being in accord with the "shocking" nature of the book: that one person is as good as another. Don't forget that, at that time, members of the Upper Classes were considered superior human beings. So these kinds of ideas were very radical.
Topic: Road is coming up?
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:44:44 AM
We do use "is coming" in this way, colloquially. But have never heard "coming up".

I think perhaps it might have developed from the signs that are put up on building sites: "A new branch of Primark coming soon..." "Coming soon - a new shopping experience." or even, back in 1840 "The Railway is coming soon..."

EDITED to make clearer

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.