Profile: Winston Smith
About
User Name: Winston Smith
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 38
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: SOY FAN DE LA MUSICA LATINOAMERICANA. CUAL ES SU CANTANTE FAVORITO, POR FAVOR?! GRACIAS!!
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:05:33 AM
kchemile wrote:
Teniendo en cuenta la definición oficial de la Real Academia Española, «América Latina» es el conjunto de países del continente americano en que se hablan lenguas romances, específicamente español, portugués y francés.
Voy a citar algunos artistas.
Hola de los cantantes de habla hispana mis favoritos son Ricardo Arjona (Guatemala, Un poeta maravilloso), Marc Anthony (New York, Una voz espectacular, cuya fama es grande es latinoamérica), Celia Cruz (Cuba,Voz y estilo únicos y particulares), Gloria Estefan (Cuba, Una de las primeras latinas en incursionar en el mercado norteamericano), Silvio Rodriguez (Cuba, defensor de los pueblos), Mercedes Sosa (Argentina, música para los pueblos). Aunque faltan ....

Segun los Brasilenos, ellos no son parte de latinoamerica. Te falto un monton, Chavela Vargas por ejemplo
Topic: Appreciate
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:30:58 AM
Thanks, that was a helpful explanation
Topic: Appreciate
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:27:00 PM
Could someone help me with this text please? It is an excerpt from the "langsam gesprochene Nachrichten" at Deutsche Welle :

Viele der führenden Industrie- und Schwellenländer unterstützten diesen Ansatz. Deutschland, so Merkel, sei mit seiner im Grundgesetz festgelegten "Schuldenbremse" bereits vorangegangen.

My question is what does somean? doest it mean : said Merkel?
Topic: irony vs. sarcasm
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:23:22 PM
the difference between 'sarcastic' and 'ironic' is easy, the hard one is between 'sardonic' and 'sarcastic'
Topic: Perhaps life is just that...a dream and a fear.
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:15:10 PM
“I don’t believe there is any greater blessing than that of being pierced through & through by the splendour or sweetness of words, & no one who is not transfixed by ‘Die Sonne tönt nach alter Weise’, or ‘thick as Autumnal leaves that strew the brooks’ has known half the joy of living. Don’t you agree with me?—I wouldn’t take a kingdom for it.”
Edith Wharton

Topic: Publicaciones de interés general en español
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:02:33 PM
Yo leo diariamente El Mercurio, que aunque es un diario Chileno tiene informaciones del extranjero, ciencia, artes, etc
Topic: does language shape the way we think ?
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:30:50 AM
nachochip wrote:
I remember being surprised when I found that cars, ships, airplanes etc. are "feminine" in english; also in french. In spanish, we think of them as "male."
Some time ago, I read that eskimos have a lot of words to describe what whe would only call "snow". Of course language shapes the way we think! Psychologists have always known this and they struggle to create tests that are culture independent, "abstract", to measure intelligence and personality. I don't want to go in depth about my beliefs on these tests Dancing

not quite true, in Spanish we say 'la barca', 'la embarcacion', 'la camioneta'.

Intelligence tests measure problem solving and mathematical abilities, therefore they are not language dependant.
Topic: does language shape the way we think ?
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:03:13 PM
accidental means it was not intentional, not that it was unavoidable. Here in Australia they avoid using the word accident to describe a car crash. It is called an 'incident'. when they arrest someone they say that the person is 'assisting the Police in an investigation. Cheney could have said that the inmates in Gulag Guantanamo were "assisting" the authorities, also.
In Spanish 'ses' it is both 'el mar' o 'la mar'. I'd rather have it 'el mar' .
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:44:22 PM
"L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux "

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:23:58 PM
heluska wrote:
I am sure it was a quote from one of the book by Joseph Conrad. His characters are constantly searching and reflecting on the great mystery of life by asking eternal questions and finding answers, based on the given circumstances.
Truth be told, we are all living in a dream...and a fear...

here is another great quote by J. Conrad

"A man's real life is that accorded to him in the thoughts of other men by reason of respect or natural love." by Joseph Conrad

so, a man's (or a woman's) "real life" is what other think of him? what nonsense is that. what if other men hate him, or disrespect him?

define 'real' life

we are all living in a dream? well, those bankers and speculators lived in a dream for a while but eventually we all woke up.

I think, we ought to think for ourselves instead of receiving as pearls of wisdom the words of a dead writer. Words that are just vacuous and meaningless.

I don't remember Kurtz finding any answers nor the narrator of the story.