User Name: rosharuo
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What is the Oldest Living European Language
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:40:22 PM
So given that all currently living languages (even "invented" ones like Volapük or Esperanto) are to a large extent, at their core, descended from earlier ones, it could be argued that all current languages in Europe (except Basque) perhaps share a common ancestor, hence are equally "old", and depending on one's theory of the ultimate origin(s) of human language, Basque may also have a common ancestor with Indo-European and Ural-Altaic. In this case, the question may be absolutely meaningless except as a tool to incite tribalism.
Topic: What is the Oldest Living European Language
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:35:21 PM
Basque would be my first nomination, since it clearly predates the arrival of Indo-European-speaking populations in the Pyrenees. But I'm not clear on what the question really means, since all languages change over time. There were undoubtedly speakers of languages that became lineal ancestors of modern Lithuanian and modern Basque (and modern English for that matter) in Europe 2500 years ago, but I think there's no reason to believe that those speakers would have been able to understand even relatively simple sentences, greetings, etc. (let alone complex discourse) in the now current versions of their languages.
Topic: Cxu eblas traduko de cxi tiu forumo por ke gxi ankaux havu Esperantan veston?
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:40:42 AM
Nu, certe eblus traduki ĉion. Sed ĉu la retejestroj permesos funkciigi la alilingva(j)n versio(j)n mi ne scias. Tion ni verŝajne devos sondi supre en la anglalingvaj fadenaroj.
Topic: Hey guys, seen any good Japanese movies lately? (Yes, my recommendation does have to do with language.....)
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:27:43 PM
At the Japanese Language Club I attend (Seattle Japanese Baptist Church, Saturday mornings) we always watch something in Japanese, sometimes anime, sometimes part of a movie (one hour's worth). Last Saturday we watched an episode of the TV drama Dr.コトー診療所 - a couple years ago we spent the whole year watching 北の国から. The new (2008) movie おくりびと is currently playing in Seattle, and I'm hoping to catch it before it leaves.

Haruo
Topic: Jen nova provo: Kion oni faras tie ĉi?
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:17:09 PM
Mi vere ne komprenas. Mi pretas aktiviĝi se mi scias pri kio, sed sen tia scio mi emas nenion fari.

Haruo
Topic: Kion oni faras tie ĉi?
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:15:11 PM
I was trying to post that as a reply to the thread in the Esperanto subforum, but I was refused access, so I redid it as a new thread and for some reason it came up in this forum instead. Ŝajnas al mi iom fuŝe!
Topic: Kion oni faras tie ĉi?
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:13:14 PM
Ĉu la celo estas konkurenco kun ReVo, aŭ babilado, aŭ kio?