User Name: Minipisikil
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 78
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Legalese
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:52:05 AM
The title of a section of a lease dealing with the amount of rent and other matters pertaining to rent can be titled simply, "Rent."
Topic: 'yesterday night'
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:24:24 PM
Yestreen.
Topic: Censored Huck Finn
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 4:20:39 PM
I agree, and it can be a teachable moment with the Newsouth Books new volume. The difference is that the new volume will get past the objections of the people who have been successful in removing Huck Finn from schools' bookshelves, and the lesson can then be taught. I would call it being effective.

HWNN1961 wrote:
The "N" word in this book is a teachable moment, not somehow spreading racism.

Topic: Censored Huck Finn
Posted: Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:19:28 PM
The editor of the volume, Dr. Alan Gribben, a Twain scholar, explains that he replaced the n-word with "slave" so Twain could be taught in schools, a laudable goal, I think. He warns that the new volume is not for scholars or purists, and points out that while the word "slave" does not carry all the meaning of the n-word, it is roundly condemned as a condition. See an excerpt from the editor's introduction at:

http://www.newsouthbooks.com/twain/introduction-alan-gribben-mark-twain-tom-sawyer-huckleberry-finn-newsouth-books.html
Topic: An open letter regarding one man's state of the union.
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:39:56 AM
I read the piece and found no overtones. Some amount of subtlety is necessary for overtones to exist, I think; there was no subtlety here. To look past partisan "overtones" one would have to skip the piece entirely.

[quote=larry marvin]
Only read this article if you can see past partisan overtones.
Topic: Julian Assange
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 5:19:07 PM
xsmith, your post expresses the same attitude as many others: If it's possible to get the information, then getting and disclosing the information is justified. I agree that the U.S. should have guarded the information more carefully, but that is not relevant to the question of justification, nor is the claim that no one has been harmed by the disclosure.
Topic: Do you know what her name is?
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 12:01:12 PM
The answer to the question "Do you know her name?" is either "yes" or "no." Do you want to know her name or do you wnat to know whether someone knows her name?
Topic: Julian Assange
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 11:56:54 AM
The adulation of Julian Assange by a number of those posting to this and a related thread raises several questions; chief among them is whether the posters believe that a government should have an expectation of privacy in its dealings with other nations. It appears that these posters believe a government's self-interest is either invalid or irrelevant.

Another question is why these posters believe a mass disclosure is justified, as opposed to the revelation of information relating to a particular misdeed of a government or agents of a government.

And another question: If the person who gave the information to Assange committed a crime in doing so, and it appears he did, why shouldn't Assange also be held accountable in a criminal prosecution (assuming his actions were unlawful)? I am not aware of any law that absolves people from breaking the law because they are or claim to be journalists.
Topic: in contempt of court
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 12:07:30 PM
It is also phrased: "find you in contempt." Contempt proceedings can also be commenced to punish someone for failure to obey a court order. If the person then complies, then often no finding of contempt is made. Journalists have sometimes been found in contempt for failure to reveal their sources, thinking their constitutional rights extend further than the courts have determined.
Topic: Anticipate And Prevent Shootings
Posted: Monday, August 9, 2010 12:24:50 PM
Don't couch your comments in such vague terms. Tell us how you really feel about America.

fdjncn wrote:
Only
America is a jungle of ill-educated savages who will destroy their society from within through their own apathy, greed, and ego-centric lifestyle. That plus the Obama regime's PC policies that are helping terrorists establish their base.