[0.56% of all post / 1.51 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Three Parent Babies
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 4:22:29 PM
A bit earlier, and also from NPR. Three parent baby born 2017
Topic: to broil
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:02:35 PM
Romany wrote:
"Broil" is an American usage that confused me for years - and which I still often mistake for "boil. "

In UK it seems to be "grill" that's used. In Australia it's just "barbeque" and in South Africa it's " braai ".

Guess it depends on where one lives?

"Broiling," in the U.S., refers to cooking something, usually briefly, very close to a radiant source of heat. In your oven you likely have what we would call a broiler: a place, often a separate drawer, where you can put a dish or a piece of meat very close to the element (in electric ovens) or flame. Thus, a broiler is often used for searing meat, browning the top of crème brulè, or crisping the top of a casserole.

Barbequing or grilling is done on a grate, over an open flame or charcoal. It is rarely done indoors, unless you have a professional range with professional ventilation. Indoors, the source would need to be gas flame, as charcoal is not safe. Barbequing often implies use of a sauce. Grilling does not, though one may barbeque without sauce or use sauce when grilling, just to be confusing.

People confuse grilling with griddling, which is similar cooking, but done on a flat, solid metal surface. One could griddle in a sauté pan. Most restaurants have a griddle, not a grill. Thus, the very common (in the U.S.) grilled cheese sandwich should rightfully be called a griddled cheese sandwich.
Topic: sitting US President
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 4:43:13 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
The historic summit is scheduled to take place on 12 June, but many details are still unconfirmed.

It will be the first meeting between a North Korean leader and a sitting US president.

Mr Trump said on Tuesday that plans were "moving along very nicely".

"A lot of relationships being built, a lot of negotiations going on before the trip," he told reporters.

"It's very important - it'll be a very important couple of days."

Why is Trump referred to as a "sitting" US President.
There are words in almost every Indoeuropean language, that have a root in sit, that refer to meetings of people governing. They govern everything from modern states to tribes to clans. So "sitting president" is one who is in office, i.e. "sitting" as a part of government.
Topic: What a great noble cause
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 3:55:30 PM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
My friend from India has posted a video on Facebook in which he commits himself to help the students to pursue higher education:

What a great cause!

What a great noble cause!

Do the above sound natural as comment?

Both are fine. The first is better. "What a noble cause" would also be good, as would "What a great and noble cause".
Topic: What is Today ? Explain
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:08:21 PM
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Topic: Great, thanks!
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 3:21:02 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
In my experience, it is usually spoken as one thought.

"Great, thanks!"

I think you are right about the usage. If, however, one expands the thought to the full sentence, rather than simply letting it be implied, one has this:
That is great! Thank you.
That is great; thank you.

I suppose one could even go so far as to say "I thank you" for the second independent clause.
Topic: Could you correct or confirm these two explanations?
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 3:17:05 PM
DavidLearn wrote:
Hello teachers,

Sentence: It turned out (that) I was wrong.

I'm trying to explain "turned out" in the sentence above to the students and I've finally, after looking at a few dictionaries, come out with this explanation:
The unexpected result in the end is (that) I was wrong.

I believe when we use "turn out" there are no previous plans, that's why the result is unexpected; right?

I also think that this one may work. What do you think?
The fact, unexpectedly, in the end is (that) I was wrong.

Thanks.

In this usage, you are correct. Generally, "turned out / turns out" simply means "the result was". It does not specifically say anything about plans or expectations. You need the greater context to know whether there were expectations, and whether or not the expectations were met.

I thought his plane would be late. Turns out, I was right.
I thought his plane would be late. Turns out, I was wrong.

Both are correct and common.
Topic: an idiom related problem
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 4:52:53 PM
Gary98 wrote:
One possibility: he dropped the company like a bad habit.
This one works if you are looking for a he-quit-the-job-without notice meaning. If you are looking for a he-left-early-for-the-day-without-permission, then the "skip out" would be appropriate. (American English).
Topic: woman’s woman
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 4:14:56 PM
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
“I love these before-retiring talks with another girl. It’s been ages since I last had one. Back in school, I guess. Hugh says I’m a woman’s woman at heart.”

What's a woman’s woman? Is it like an overly girly girl?

No, in this context it just means the speaker (thinker, writer) feels more comfortable with other women and the ways women tend to talk and relate to one another. She finds it easier to talk about things, laugh at jokes, discuss feelings, problems, or ideas with other women than with men. In this case it has nothing to do with the quasi-sexual femininity, girly-girl traits.
Topic: what's the difference between them?
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 3:51:00 PM
Maggie Q wrote:
He runs every day regardless of the weather. == He runs every day IN SPITE OF the weather. == He runs every day DESPITE the weather.? If not, what's the difference between them?

The sentences with "in spite of" and "despite" are equivalent. These sentences imply the weather is a factor which makes one less likely to run, i.e. that weather is always bad for running.

Using "regardless" means the runner does not take weather as a factor for or against running. The runner disregards the weather, does not think of it, when considering whether or not to run. This is true when the weather would make running unpleasant. It is also true when the weather would make running desirable.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.