Number of Posts: 28
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: to remark
Posted: Sunday, May 6, 2012 9:14:00 AM
Great, thanks a lot !!!!!Dancing
Topic: to remark
Posted: Sunday, May 6, 2012 1:35:33 AM
Can you use "remark" meaning something like "see" ? For example in the sentence:

She remarked the boys standing in front of the house.

I learnt you cannot, but I am confused by entries in online dictionaries such as this one, which make me wonder if this might be possible in American English, but not in Britain.

Topic: One of our first amusements as children (if we have any imagination at all) is to get out of our own characters, and to try...
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 3:48:24 AM
Somehow, this is what I am still doing when reading ....
Topic: Secret operations are essential in war; upon them the army relies to make its every move.
Posted: Sunday, February 7, 2010 10:22:35 AM
tgabriel11 wrote:
The other is that with out secret operations there can not be a victory. If the opposing side knows what is coming they can easily defend it.

And this is true for so many other things: business, love, an argument - sometimes it is wise to observe this.
Topic: So wise so young, they say, do never live long.
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:58:57 PM
DHeavyOne - it is a pity that in written messages one cannot hear if something is meant to be sarcastic, slightly ironic, joking or serious, so I am sorry that I misunderstood you.

Actually, I didn't feel very much "attacked", but the "grade 6 English lesson" in this context did not go down as particularly amiable, either.

On the other hand, I do have a tendency to lecture and bore people to tears with it - in other words, no hard feelings from my side - it was a misunderstanding, so let's shake hands and make up ?!?
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:52:32 PM
DHeavyOne wrote:
LadyRose wrote:
It is from "Richard III", the play about a man.....them and helps them to survive.

Thank you for the grade 6 english lesson LadyRose..........I'm pretty sure most of us know from whence it came, as well having our own intentions for it's meaning..........but it's nice that you care enough to explain.

By the way, if any of you need Shakespeare explained, then you're probably in the wrong discussion group.......or I am.

....but then again, I'm only guessssssssing!

Do I detect a trace of sarcasm here? I am sorry if I did not hit the correct intellectual level, but I am not a native speaker, I didn't go to school in an English speaking country and I don't know when you study Shakespeare plays. Someone asked about the context and as I happened to know, I tried to be of help.

By the way, I thought this thread was about discussing a quote and its (!) meaning and one way to get to the meaning can be to have a look at the context.
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 4:48:42 AM
I can relate to that. Once you manage to understand the language and concentrate on the stories he tells, you realize that he describes people that we all know. Maybe they don't actually kill to get their aims, but ambition can drive you far.
Topic: When sorrows come, they come not single spies, But in battalions!
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 4:42:03 AM
"Hamlet" is like "Faust" by the German poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, it is made up entirely of quotations, haha.

Seriously: This quote is spoken by Claudius, who by murdering Hamlet's father started the whole story and the series of sorrows he describes in this speech.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/407600.html

(Act IV, scene 5)
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:15:28 AM
It's the plays of Shakespeare that show you man's (=human) nature.
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:09:40 AM
It is from "Richard III", the play about a man who murders one of his brothers on the way to becoming king. He has been made guardian of his (dead) older brother's sons, who are heirs to the throne. He plots to kill them, too, so in this scene he tells them that they will reside in the Tower until the coronation of the older one of them. He, the Prince of Wales, does not like this idea, but agrees, and then Richard says these words as an aside.Of course, he usurps the crown for himself and kills the two princes.

What do these words tell us in general ? You shouldn't be too smart at an early age. People don't like other people outdoing them in every field, particularly intellectually, and particularly adults don't like youngsters to be better than they are. It could become dangerous, if intelligence is not based on life experience and knowledge of people's minds. The young genius may be seen as a threat and the more powerful adult might crush him to pieces.

The truly intelligent youngster learns when to shut up and watch and learn.
The truly great adult appreciates gifted young people, carefully guides them and helps them to survive.