User Name: Discombobulated
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 318
[0.03% of all post / 0.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Why?
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:18:12 PM
Thank you for your help everyone. I knew the reasons but couldn't put it into words at the time. You are all wonderful for helping!
Topic: Why?
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:27:26 AM
I want to sunbathe to the sea.
I want to go to the sea for sunbathe this summer.
The first was corrected by replacing 'to the sea' with 'by the sea'. The second was corrected by replacing 'for' with to. I know that both sentences sound better with the changes. However, I can't explain why. Can anyone give me some suggestions please?Think
Topic: Meaning and usage
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:22:05 AM
Or a deliberate error? You decide. :P
Topic: Meaning and usage
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:30:59 PM
I've half a mind to don the old kilt and Glasgow kiss the lot of you (except you JJ)

Only joking. I'm a peaceful Scot who used to linger around TFD before being distracted by other English related sites and such. Perhaps I should show my presence more often in defence for my fellow men and women.

Alas, I am proud to be a Scot but I do love the English language. England isn't half bad either although I do prefer curvaceous countries (no offence - the lake district provide me with enough sweetness for forgiveness). And, I am a qualified English language teacher. Have I provided enough for my defence?

Kisses all round (the non Glasgow kind)
Topic: Can i say "is he in today?"
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 10:30:52 AM
Your suggestion is correct. I would however suggest: Has he been in today? as a better alternative.
Topic: Leaves aren't changing colors
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 10:36:20 AM
It's funny, I had a conversation with my mother today and she said Autumn seems to have stopped here in Scotland! There are red/orange/green leaves on some trees, but not that many!
Topic: New Words for 2010‏?
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 8:38:51 AM
Nice list Peter! Put a smile on my face today
Topic: Reasons NOT to call 911 (police)
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 5:26:37 PM
Too right about giving us a warning Epi, I couldn't help but listen to more! That police woman in the Burger King one was so funny!
Topic: Reasons NOT to call 911 (police)
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 5:13:04 PM
Oh Vickster I'm sure you must have many wonderful tales regarding the public and their ability to be hilariously stupid. In my area (and I presume the whole country), 999 is for emergencies only; but you can call the local station for other "not so emergency" emergencies ... such as loosing a knit hat and hoping some kindly chap handed it in
Topic: Campaign for Grammargeek
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 5:02:11 PM
HWNN1961 wrote:
Tyson, good point. For example, did anyone notice the passing of Oxymoron?

Or what about "King" Nooblet? Where'd he go? There have been so many wonderful posters leaving (and, may it be noted, some staying Applause ). I don't contribute that often or visit every day like I once did, yet I still can not pull myself away from TFD; I glance over and ignore posts and topics that I know are likely to irritate me. If you never return GG, at least I hope you find a new home elsewhere