Profile: Angel-Baby
About
User Name: Angel-Baby
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 78
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: knocked out jailbirds/don't you be no square/I wanna stick around a while and get my kicks.
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:11:41 AM
Knocked out is a boxing term. In this case it means the jailbirds had been caught, defeated.

Square is slang for someone who is dull, conventional, or out of touch with what is cool. When the warden said, "Don't you be no square", he was telling the "sad sack" to quit being a loser and get out on the floor.

Kicks is slang for fun or pleasure. Bugsy is telling Shifty Henry that he is going to stay in jail and have his fun.
Topic: A question for a Farscape fan.
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:16:32 AM
If I remember correctly, Virginia Hey (the actress who played Zhaan) started developing an alergy to the blue make-up. Adding the neck piece to her costume cut down on the amount of blue paint she had to have on her skin.
Topic: Grown-ups have hijacked Halloween & are dressing like hookers.
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 3:10:13 AM
I love Halloween and getting dressed up for it is one of my favorite things to do. That being said, there is a time and a place for responsible costume choices. I've done the sweet, the scary, the sassy and the sexy costumes. A few years ago when I took my niece and nephew out trick or treating, I dressed up as "Periwinkle LaGuardia" - Scarlet O'Hara's frenemy who lived on "Sara" (a plantation the next town over) - not the "dominatrix bunny" (playboy-like bunny in leather with a crop, spiked collar and thigh-high heeled boots) I was at the adults-only party a few nights before.

While it is fun to dress sexily, I have never bought one of the "Sexy fill-in-the-blank" costumes sold - I think they are tacky. (Everything for the dominatrix bunny came out of my own closet, except the crop.) I much prefer to make up a costume rather than buy one off the shelf. I.E. last year, I was "Walk of Shame Babe" - a wrinkled dress, torn stockings, smeared make-up and messy hair. To me half the fun of Halloween is coming up with the costume, be it sweet (Cinderella before the fairy godmother intervention), scary (Zombie attack survivor), sassy ("Holy Cow" - cow in a nun's habit), or sexy ("Janet" from Rocky Horror).

Topic: when we say side effect(s) of a drug, do we consider it single or plural?
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:32:04 PM
Working in the pharmacology field and having proofread numerous patient inserts, I can tell you that it is very rare to find any drug with only one side effect (unless you are noting one specific effect). That being said, I think you are better off using the plural when documenting them.

Example:
The side effects of steroid usage may include the following symptoms...
One side effect of steroids is...

You could also say:
Common adverse reactions to steroid use are...
Topic: A Moody Tea Party With Standard and Poor(er)
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 10:20:53 PM
It is not the tea party's fault. We're just a convenient scapegoat for certain parties in the media and political arena.

What is wrong with expecting the federal government to live within their means? I have to do it. I would love to have cable tv, a new car and or even take a vacation. But you know what, I can't afford any of those things so I don't have tv, make due with a 12 year-old car and take day-trips to the beach at a nearby lake. If I have a little extra on payday I treat myself to a new book. It's called economizing... something the government should learn to do.
Topic: A writer using Thesaurus
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:54:32 AM
Casper wrote:
Is he an excellent writer when he uses thesaurus?
( He's changing almost all the words to make it look impressive )

Do you know for a fact that he is doing this? It could damage the working environment if he were to be falsely accused. I also think Intel's office warfare suggestion is passive aggressive, a bit cowardly and could wind up backfiring on you. (No offense intended Intel.) I think, if you aren't going to flat-out confront this guy, the best bet is to let it go and write him off as a jerk. More than likely people know what he is doing.

As for using a thesaurus: I will admit to using one occasionally, most often when the word I want is on the tip of my tongue but I just can't remember it. Like Intel, I also have to write copious reports that can be hard to read if I'm constantly repeating the phrase "the issue noted above was due to..." Like any good tool, a thesaurus should be utilized properly and not abused.
Topic: fang
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:26:16 AM
Another guess on my part: it was still falling lightly, may be the correct wording.
Topic: a lame number of
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:18:25 AM
Just a guess, but I'm pretty sure that it should have been a large number of people. It could be that the formatting of the text you were reading was poorly done. (This occasionally happens with public domain books on Amazons kindle reader.)
Topic: David Tennant
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:26:05 PM
Cass wrote:
Is David Tennant hot? Is the Pope a Catholic?

By the way, DT has a tv show coming to a tv near you this year, called "Rex is not your lawyer".

I heard that the pilot wasn't going to get picked up by the network. Don't know if it's true or not.
Topic: Meaningful Quotes
Posted: Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:12:19 PM
"I would rather be forgotten, than remembered for giving in."

“Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you..” (AKA "Sometimes you're the windshield, somtimes you're the bug.")

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

"Death comes to us all... Live for today."

"Be kind to dragons, for thou art crunchy when roasted and taste good with ketchup."