User Name: Tony
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I should be going
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2015 8:07:35 PM
You could say either "I should go" or "I should be going". I reckon the latter has more a sense of immediacy, that is, it means something like "I should go now". I should go could also mean that, but also "I should go rather than stay" (perhaps because I've upset someone).
Topic: Lunch Break Rituals
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:48:53 AM
I think it's important to take your full lunch hour and spend it away from the workplace. Otherwise it's too easy for work to encroach on time THAT YOU ARE NOT PAID FOR. Taking a lunch break is a way of asserting your rights as human and your value as a worker. It also makes you fresher for the afternoon session.
Topic: Gifting my boss?
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:42:25 AM
I find the most disturbing part of your question the fact that you refer to yourself as "an underling." I really hope there was some irony there.
Topic: usage of the word : awoken
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:36:25 AM
"Have you awoken?" is fine, but old fashioned. We don't use "awake" these days. Instead we use "wake up." Therefore, we'd be more likely to ask "have you woken up?"
Topic: family guy.
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:29:48 PM
I reckon the /hw/ pronunciation of "wh" is a very stupid affectation. The sounds are not even in the same order as the letters they are supposed to represent. As far as I'm concerned, "where" and "wear" are homophones.

I've never watched Family Guy, but I'm a fan of The Simsons and South Park, so perhaps I should give it a whirl.
Topic: The use of the word Gay
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 10:56:59 PM
Let's not pretend. "Gay" has come to have its derogatory meaning because of the unfortunately common prejudice against homosexual men. For that reason, I find it unacceptable.

That said, it's hard to get upset because things are changing so fast. A lot of gay people deliberately use "gay" with its latest, derogatory, meaning, which takes the sting out of it. A lot of gay people also use "faggot," "poofter" and "queer" to refer to themselves instead of "gay."

I confidently predict that "gay" will decline in use with both its current popular meanings.
Topic: confusion in brown
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:23:49 AM
I think it should be THE indirect ...

The entire noun phrase is:
the indirect and induced effect of international tourist expenditure.

The controlling noun is effect, which is singular, so generates is the correct verb.

However, the sentence still seems strange to me, because I reckon it's unlikely that there would be only one effect, which is both indirect AND induced, of international tourist expenditure. It seems more likely that international tourist expenditure would have several indirect effects and several induced effects.

I suspect it's another mistake, and that the sentence should be:
The indirect and induced effects of international tourist expenditure generate secondary effects.

And that's before we even start looking at the difference between effects, indirect effects, induced effects and secondary effects. The author of this sentence needs to take some coherence pills.
Topic: "The soldier brought his gun to the armorer to have the sight adjusted"
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:51:15 AM
When you ask somebody to do something for you, you can use the construction:
have + object + past participle

Examples:
I'm having my hair cut.
They had the roof retiled.
Would you like to have your palm read?
She's had her motorbike fixed.
Topic: On Being Green, what are you doing?
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:27:44 PM
Vote for an environmentalist party at every election. Most current governments are run by parties with financial connections to heavy polluters, and are therefore unlikely to save the planet.
Topic: Favorite Song Lyrics
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:05:41 PM
"I Don't Wanna Go To Work" by the Happening Thang, about 1990

I don't wanna go to work
I don't care about my pay
And it don't matter if I starve
I'd rather die than work today