User Name: vr091073
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 236
[0.02% of all post / 0.06 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Bong Water in Your Corn Flakes?
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:45:27 AM
Risa, granted, the final sentence of my previous post was a hyperbolic pronouncement, but one which rather accurately mirrors the sentiments that some sections of TFD now evoke in me, for there can be no comparison in my view, between what this forum was a year ago and what it has devolved into today. The immaturity and intellectual disingenuousness of a handful of contributors aside, even the overall standard of English has taken an unmistakable downward nudge. If the full sight of what I'm driving at doesn't readily leap to the eye, just go back and try having a dekko at the kind of theme and debate that used to hold sway before we were unlucky enough to be overrun (okay, perhaps yet another hyperbole, but not too far off the mark by any means) by a gaggle of uncivil, shrill chumps from a certain country (one of which I, for one, do not hold a very flattering opinion), and who seem to be, in some cases, barely wading their way through out of puberty. Then again, this echoes my own feelings, to which I'm totally and legitimately entitled, as everybody else is to theirs. Evidently, at the end of the day, to each his own, but for my part, I'm outta here. Kind regards.
Topic: Bong Water in Your Corn Flakes?
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 2:48:36 AM
Quote:
KM

You are the cause of many of the problems with your jingoism... your tendency to take offence and your uncompromising language. Why do you think trouble follows you? Is everybody else wrong and you are right ? Of course not... there is a pattern to it. You need to tone down your language... stop getting hot under the collar over nothing and be more selective about posting. You cannot be an expert on every subject. Why not behave as if you are in a conversation with a group. Sometimes you will feel the need to comment, and at other times modesty will cause you to hold back since others appear to know more than you. Try it. Don't take so much personally and stop banging the patriotic and nationaalist drums.

Quote:
I have to admit that the signal-to-noise ratio of TFD Language Forums has degraded markedly of late, to the point where I turned off the automatic email notifications for being a waste of time. I'll still glance at active topics but more and more are becoming tedious polemics. Need some leavening of humor and graciousness. IMNSHO.

Amen to that. Ever since I resolved to make a comeback to these forums, having kept away for months on end due to a dearth of time and resources, I have kind of struggled to relate to what now goes on here. The depths which TFD Forums seem to be plumbing, in my opinion, on the linguistic and thematic fronts alike, have effectively metamorphosed it into something that I personally hesitate to associate myself with anymore. It appears so hard to connect the free-for-all the website has mutated into, alongside the intellectually unappealing exchanges that are by now patently the norm on the platform, to the far more highbrow, more beautifully expressed and way more nuanced and reasoned discussions that erstwhile used to prevail on these very pages. Truly, what the forum has been subjected to from the sorely rued departures of the likes of prolixitysquared and a few thoughtful others amounts to nothing less than a depredation of epic proportions.
Topic: Doesn't God get bored?
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:38:56 AM
The Quantum Energy Field, as an entity, looks to be the modern conception that approximates the idea of God the closest, and if truth be told, there may seem to be a relatively strong case for drawing a parallel with the ultimate experience of the cosmos as expounded in Hinduism's philosophy of impersonal monism, as well as several Buddhistic ideas about reality absolute. If the peripheries that are embodied in the mythological, folkloric and native societal themes comprising these religions be marginalised, a reasoned assessment of the distilled essence of Hindu and Buddhist thought would reveal, to some extent, interesting views on the world that are analogous with a number of the concepts propounded by modern Physics.

In brief, the interpretations of the impersonalistic theologies of the East in regard to the highest ontological truth being, at the root, an energy-laden substratum, and of which the universe is a temporary manifestation more than anything else, does strike me as a far more plausible take than that of God as an old (or a young, for that matter), anthropomorphic super-being who crafts the world and brings forth the various life forms, whether via a simplistic ex-nihilo creation, or some more complex and protracted process of evolution and emanation. The added advantage conferred by the monistic version is that, in this peculiar case, one need not be unduly concerned with trivia such as whether 'God' gets bored or not.
Topic: How do you answer what your race is? (Not your ethnicity...)
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:13:33 AM
South Asians being essentially of mixed lineage, this question can be a bit of a riddle for me, for I am north Indian-descended. Having said that, I would have no qualms about terming myself a mongrel. We all are, to one degree or another, racially blended.

On another note, in evolutionary biological and palaeo-anthropological terms, we all ultimately derive from some African progenitor, and in that sense, every single one of us verily is, irrespective of the twists, turns and quirks our respective individual genealogies may have taken over the past 200,000 or so years, Africans!
Topic: A few geography facts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 5:17:51 AM
Thoroughly edifying! Thanks, oxymoron.
Topic: Will--Shall
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 3:21:10 AM
Isaac Samuel wrote:
Those of you who paid attention minutely to the posts of vr091073,
you might have noticed him using WHILST in the place OF WHILE. why? because he is a product of colonial and medieval English.I love his style and admire his depth but I regret that I couldn't emulate or replicate him when I write, because of my acculturation with modern American English.

Well spotted, Isaac, and the cause you assign to my choice of lingo is as correct and accurate.
Topic: Arse
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:34:10 AM
thorx89 wrote:
Well, it can be proved by looking it up in, let's say, thefredictionary.com that these words CAN be interchangable, and that the r CAN be silent (the second pronunciation at www.thefreedictionary.com/arse .

Anyway, the fact that both of these words are used in UK & Australia in different meanings (donkey the animal, vs your buttocks ) explains what I was trying to find out, which is if arse isn't just a British/Australian spelling of ass (with each people pronouncing it slightly differently). :-D

Thanks for replies.

UK English is my first language, and I basically grew up in the Kingdom. So far, I have yet to hear 'arse' being pronounced with a silent 'r' by a single Briton. Of course, globalisation, or whatever was prevalent prior to it - in this peculiar case, call it pan-Anglo-Saxon interculturality or whatever - has made that, even in the Isles, 'ass' is now on occasion co-opted in situations in which 'arse' would represent a more classical usage.

As for interchangeability, I'd chime with your contention that in many, if not most, instances, these words do in fact denote the same thing.
Topic: Do you feel patriotic about your country?
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 6:52:05 AM
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
I don't understand what you guys mean by 'cultural tyranny'. Please elaborate.
Are you guys suggesting that whoever visits a foreign country, has to give up everything that they believed in or practised? Yes, I agree one must always keep in mind if someone else is getting disturbed or not in the process of their own practises, but one can keep to himself right? I mean, if I were in UK, I wouldn't have to go church right? (I don't practise any religion) Or would they start making my life miserable if I didn't 'go with the flow'??

Quote:
I spent the formative stages of my existence in Britain, and in many ways, am a product of it. Then again, India bestowed upon me my genes and philosophical outlook on meta-matters, whilst Mauritius is where I first saw daylight and presently live.

This was a part of my response to oxymoron's earlier post. Nuance, my friend, nuance.
Topic: In order to run for President of the U.S, you must be at least 35 years old.
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 6:46:32 AM
I find the above equating of formal academic training with education to be utterly distasteful. Whilst recognising that the majority resort to it, especially when communicating in English, education to me embodies incomparably more than simply the training doled out in conventional institutes of learning. Perhaps the English language ought to take its cue from French on this count. Indeed, just as it has so ingeniously incorporated a number of veritably remarkable German loanwords (think Schadenfreude, Gotterdammerung, to name a couple), the language would, in my view, be markedly enriched were it to adopt something similar to the French 'instruit/e/s' to refer to formally trained persons, with 'education' being utilised to mean a more well-rounded, holistically-determined imbuing of culture, ethics, values, norms etc.

With regards to the question at hand, a minimum age limit is, in my opinion, desirable not solely due to considerations of personal or professional experience. Whilst these indubitably matter, there is, as a matter of fact, one more factor that I believe should be deemed preponderant by virtue of its primacy when it comes to running a country, or broadly, occupying any important position in which one has to shoulder onerous responsibilities, and that is emotional maturity, on a personal as well as interpersonal level.
Topic: Arse
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 6:04:57 AM
thorx89 wrote:
~ a British word for ass. :D

I was wondering if Americans are able to tell which one of these an Englishman is saying.
They don't pronounce the r anyway, so these two might just be different spellings for the same word, right?

Wrong, the 'r' in 'arse' is anything but silent; it is very much articulated. Nevertheless, in certain cases, 'ass' is substituted for 'arse.' Maybe therein lies the source of this slight confusion.