Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 6
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Of Mice and Men
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 6:34:08 PM
That's probably my favorite Steinbeck book and I've read most of them. It's one of my favorite books, period. A plus is that it is relatively short. I think you will like it and enjoy reading it. I first read it when I found it on my parents' bookshelf one day when I stayed home from school. Several decades ago...

My all-time favorite Steinbeck passage, though, is the Two for a Penny chapter in Grapes of Wrath. That never fails to choke me up.

The old "Of Mice and Men" movie (1939) is great, too. I only recently saw it for the first time and was not at all disappointed.

Topic: Every hour has its end.
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:15:57 PM
I interpretted it as I would, "This too will pass."
Topic: One of the luckiest things that can happen to you in life is, I think, to have a happy childhood.
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:57:22 AM
This expresses a somewhat similar sentiment to a line Dostoevsky wrote in Brothers Karamazov. He said, roughly, that a good memory from childhood can sustain us in the difficult times that follow later in life. If anyone is interested, I can go dig it up.
Topic: There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something...
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 6:31:10 PM
I agree with Conrad. He spent a lot of time on ships and would have been at sea on nights made almost bright as day by full moons. I think I understand what he is saying. Admittedly, though, I'm a Conrad fan. But I think I understand the mood he is evoking with those words.
Topic: Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2009 3:04:20 PM
I had to comment on this one. I think he is only partially right.

Perserverence, yes. Patience, I'm not so sure. I am getting long in the tooth so have enough life experience to have seen a lot of patient people trampled underfoot. (I include myself. Looking back, I was too patient.) Patience is important, yes, but it should have an expiration date.
Topic: We exaggerate misfortune and happiness alike. We are never as bad off or as happy as we say we are.
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:55:23 PM
Joseph, I agree with you, but if you interpret Balzac's quote as being based on our spoken words, I feel he is probably accurate.

People tend to exaggerate happiness as a way of bragging, or because they might feel they will be seen as inferior if they don't claim the utmost happiness.

Regarding unhappiness, people tend to exaggerate that, too. At least I think I do. If I whine enough, and exaggerate my misery, pretty soon reality doesn't seem so bad.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.