Statistics
Number of Posts: 170
[0.02% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is all our Life, then but a dream
Seen faintly in the golden gleam
Athwart Time's dark resistless stream?

Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 12:31:26 PM
It's also no accident that the first letter of each line spells out Carroll's young friends: Alice Pleasance Liddell, and Isa Bowman.

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.” -- Chinese proverb
Topic: Falsehood is so easy, truth so difficult.
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:46:52 PM
Even if one had perfect drawing ability, the end result is not an actual lion, but a 'representation' of a lion. When trying to convince someone of a truth that is not as simple as the existence of a lion, then that truth is much harder to convey. You could rephrase her quote to be "To misunderstand something is easy. To convince someone of your version of the truth is much harder."

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.” -- Chinese proverb
Topic: One must be poor to know the luxury of giving.
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:15:41 AM
When a person wants to give but can't, then that can make that person keenly aware of how helpless they are. Poverty has been described as a form of violence built into our economy.

Topic: If you would taste love, drink of the pure stream that youth pours out at your feet. Do not wait till it has become a muddy...
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:15:40 AM
I disagree. The purity of the stream of love in our youth is not tempered by experience or wisdom. The young often drink too much of it and become sick. Or they let it carry them away in a direction that leads to pain and sorrow. The river of love in our later years may not be as strong, but the water is just as sweet if not more so than in our youth.

Topic: The Reichstag Fire (1933)
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 5:09:01 PM
It shows that when violence becomes a tool for politicians to get their way, then any kind of political argument becomes useless. This is why violence is never the answer in a republic, despite the anger and the frustration. If the system must be changed, then it needs to be done while still respecting the democratic process. Once radicalism becomes the majority opinion, then conversation and compromise stops. The people of a country will never support radical agendas of their representatives.

Topic: When I look out on such a night as this, I feel as if there could be neither wickedness nor sorrow in the world; and there...
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:36:57 PM
Ironically, it is the very same wicked people that are in the process of destroying Nature. As Paul Hawken said in 2009, 'We have an economy that tells us that it is cheaper to destroy earth in real time rather than renew, restore, and sustain it. At present we are stealing the future, selling it in the present, and calling it gross domestic product... We can either create assets for the future or take the assets of the future. One is called resotration and the other exploitation. And whenever we exploit the earth we exploit people and cause untold suffering. Working for the earth is not a way to get rich, it is a way to be rich.'

Topic: It will be acknowledged even by those that practice it not, that clear and round dealing is the honor of man's nature, and...
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 1:17:53 PM
I think this translates to 'being honest when dealing with others is honorable', but 'being dishonest may make relationships seem to go smoothly, but in the end decreases their value'. So when someone says something just to please you or hide negative information from you, then you will be happy in the short term. But when you find out the truth and see that you have been lied to, then you will forever doubt that person. Honesty is the true value in relationships even if it requires more effort from both participants to make it succeed.

Topic: When the sword is once drawn, the passions of men observe no bounds of moderation.
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:40:14 AM
Kind of ironic, considering Mr. Hamilton died in a duel. Maybe he should have rephrased or rethought that.

Topic: The wise through excess of wisdom is made a fool.
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 11:49:17 AM
From Emerson's 'Essays: Second Series [1844]':
Quote:
Human life is made up of the two elements, power and form, and the proportion must be invariably kept, if we would have it sweet and sound. Each of these elements in excess makes a mischief as hurtful as its defect. Everything runs to excess: every good quality is noxious, if unmixed, and, to carry the danger to the edge of ruin, nature causes each man's peculiarity to superabound. Here, among the farms, we adduce the scholars as examples of this treachery. They are nature's victims of expression. You who see the artist, the orator, the poet, too near, and find their life no more excellent than that of mechanics or farmers, and themselves victims of partiality, very hollow and haggard, and pronounce them failures, -- not heroes, but quacks, -- conclude very reasonably, that these arts are not for man, but are disease. Yet nature will not bear you out. Irresistible nature made men such, and makes legions more of such, every day. You love the boy reading in a book, gazing at a drawing, or a cast: yet what are these millions who read and behold, but incipient writers and sculptors? Add a little more of that quality which now reads and sees, and they will seize the pen and chisel. And if one remembers how innocently he began to be an artist, he perceives that nature joined with his enemy. A man is a golden impossibility. The line he must walk is a hair's breadth. The wise through excess of wisdom is made a fool.

American Transcendentalism Link

Topic: Sometimes a neighbor whom we have disliked a lifetime for his arrogance and conceit lets fall a single commonplace remark...
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 8:21:14 AM
Compassion for those that offend us. Hate cannot drive out hate.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.