Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Unadvertent Wordcoinagery
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:13:56 AM
MichalG wrote:
Many people use words they think they know and have no idea that they have actually coined new words that don't exist in the English language.

What are some humorous non-words you've come across?

Your unadvertent is a coinage.
Topic: The Added Bonus of Repetitive Redundancies
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 8:51:13 AM
Let's also do away with the phrase "over time" as in, "Over time the rate will fluctuate." Doesn't every event in the past, present, or future occur over time?
Topic: Is "poor" politically incorrect?
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 8:44:57 AM
Does it better serve society to pretend there are no social problems? Please notice my the use of the word 'problem' instead of the more acceptable and less meaningful word 'issue' that is floating around so many boardrooms these days. Does it make your widget any less defective if it has an issue instead of a problem? Perhaps things would be corrected more quickly if Gary or Gail in R&D was told there's a serious problem with the design of something rather than using diluted euphemistic words like 'challenges' and 'issues.'

I too take issue with the senseless replacement of problem by issue. Just what is the problem with the word problem? By the way, I also cringe every time I hear "No problem" instead of "You're welcome." While I'm on this soapbox I want to sound off about what gripes me the most in 21st-century American English: the apostrophe-S plural, for example, two sister's, my problem's, several issue's (sic, very sic).

Another trend I've noticed in the past twenty years or so is the demonization of the word foreign, which is increasingly replaced by international. What's wrong with being foreign? Every time I leave my country I become a foreigner and am not ashamed of that fact. I used to work in a university where all of our foreign students were gradually replaced by international students. While that was going on the Foreign Studies major was replaced by the International Studies major. It appears to me that the phrase "foreign oil" is the ultimate use of foreign as a dirty word.
Topic: What is your favorite word?
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 8:11:21 AM
I like borborygm.