User Name: Demonrob
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 16
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Genero de la palabra log
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 5:21:17 PM
Recientemente me surgió la duda del género de la palabra en inglés log.

Yo siempre digo: revisare el log; pero hay gente que he oido que dice la log.

Cual es el correcto?

Topic: books you despise.
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:43:54 PM
The Mission Song by John Le Carré, it bored me to death. Can´t tell a particular reason i just found it too redundant.
Topic: Crazy Movie Star Kids' Names
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 2:50:02 PM
MichalG wrote:

Bronx Mowgli (Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz)

Being famous melts your brain?, I mean Mowgli come on.
there are a lot of names in the world that have a meaning behind the names and you choose Mowgli?.

Topic: Blatante
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:34:59 PM
Que tal tengo una duda he visto en obras literarias y escuchado la palabra blatante, pero no aparece en el diccionario de la Real Academia y mi pregunta es porque no aparece; la duda me salio apartir de la palabra blatantly en ingles y pues quisiera saber si es correcta o no.

Saludos.

Topic: when books are turned into films.
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 6:53:23 PM
Pratik wrote:
I was quite disappointed by movies, The Rainmaker and The Da Vinci Code. I feel, somehow the characters (Rudy Baylor & Robert Langdon) portrayed in films couldn't justice the novels despite having the finest actors and directors and despite having the authors of the books associated with film making.

I'm totally agree with you, I never pictured Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon or Jean Reno as Bezu Fache and the adaptation as a whole I didn't liked it.

I haven't seen Angels and Demons but i don't know if I want to see it and be disappointed.

Topic: speaking sans negatives.
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 1:33:48 PM
prolixitysquared wrote:

So of course, we had to formulate our sentences without resorting to contractions that involved the origin word 'not' and so on. 'No' was of course a big no-no. Is that a double-negative or a triple, then making it positive again ? Ha !

That is something I was going to ask because a tautology where you use a double-negative turns into truth what you are trying to say.

So it is valid to speak that way but i guess the point was not to use negative adjectives at all.

Topic: sans.
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 1:26:31 PM
krmiller wrote:
It's kind of ridiculous, but I always associate the word "sans" with fonts. I believe the first place I came across it was in reference to sans serif fonts. I do like the word!

Actually a serif is like a finishing line on the letters thus the meaning for example of san serif wuold be without that line finishing.

But sans as mentioned above is french i don´t know if serif is also french.

Topic: Translation please. Business Card English and spanish
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 6:39:57 PM
usmedium wrote:
HOLA,

My boss askS me to print myself some business cards, so i wanna someone to kindly translate my English-Language version to (Español)SPANISH as following,please!

XXXXX CO., LTD.---------------------------------company name
DONG LI---------------------------------------------------------my name
XXX SOUTH ROAD,XXX,QINHUANGDAO,HEBEI,CHINA-------company address
TELL 0086-555-5550122-------------------------------------------telephone
CELL 0086-55555517144-------------------------------------------cellphone
FAX 0086-555-5550122-------------------------------------------fax
MAIL xxxxxxxx@GMAIL.COM---------------------------------------E-mail address

What exactly are you looking to be translated?

probably it would be this way because the company info i guess it should not be translated.

XXXXX CO., LTD.---------------------------------Nombre de la Compañia
DONG LI---------------------------------------------------------Nombre
XXX SOUTH ROAD,XXX,QINHUANGDAO,HEBEI,CHINA-------Direccion de la Compañia
TELL 0086-555-5550122-------------------------------------------Telefono
CELL 0086-55555517144-------------------------------------------Telefono Celular
FAX 0086-555-5550122-------------------------------------------fax
MAIL xxxxxxxx@GMAIL.COM---------------------------------------Direccion de E-mail [/quote]

I hope it would be useful.

I dont know if you would need like the international phone code if you are planning to give your business card in another country so the people know how to call from there.

Topic: Easiest Language
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 6:24:57 PM
usmedium wrote:
Hello,

Someone could tell me what's the EASIEST language except their own language.

d'oh!

I guess it depends also in your native tongue, as an Spanish speaking person I learned English because i liked it since i was young, then later in my life i learned French and a little bit of Italian and those languages i find them easy to learn but because of the Latin common roots of all of the mentioned languages, then i started to learn Norwegian and i liked it a lot too but because of the pronunciation i find it a little bit different to learn, not more difficult just different.

Also i guess it matters if you like the language or not in my case I never liked German and that's the reason im not looking forward to learn it , though English and even Norwegian have some kind of link with German but its a personal issue.

hope it helped.

Cheers.
Topic: "Dime de qué presumes y te diré de qué careces"
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 6:16:35 PM
Helena wrote:
Hay una lapidaria expresión que heredé de mi abuela: "Dime de qué presumes y te diré de qué careces", de la cual me encantaría tener una buena traducción al inglés. ¿Alguien conoce alguna expresión similar en inglés? Porque, la verdad, que la que yo utilizo: "Tell me what you bluff about and I´ll tell you what you lack, como que no tiene la misma contundencia ni causa mucho impacto.

La frase la platique con mi maestro de ingles que es de Canada y me comento que no existe una traduccion o alguna frase que concuerde con el significado exacto pero que se puede decir algo como "He/She is all talk" que puede decirse que es que esa persona siempre habla de cosas que puede hacer y se ufana de ello pero cuando viene la oportunidad de demostrarlas o hacerlas siempre encuentra una excusa para no hacerlas.