User Name: alliejoan
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 24
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Joint and several
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 3:15:48 PM
Your second example is phrased correctly, or, you can just say "The Directors have joint and several liability" for their actions. Either way is acceptable in legal writing, or from a "legal" point of view.

(Your first example is a bit awkward in its phrasing.)
Topic: 18,393 members....WOW... I think...
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:17:19 PM
Ahhh...but I bet many of us READ the forums everyday!

How many posts to become advanced?
Topic: Are versus is
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 4:59:24 PM
I believe the correct answer would be "here are the numbers of records..."

The subject "number" is singular, and would normally take the singuular verb "is," however, in this case, the transmitter is furnishing you with more than one number, i.e. a number for each of the persons, so you are receiving "numbers," hence, "here are the numbers..."

Try reading the sentence without the "of records," which should probably be in parenthesis anyway, e.g. "here are the numbers (of records closed) for ..."
Topic: Difference between "indictment" and "prosecution" and "sueing"
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 4:10:42 PM
To add just a bit more clarification:

-an indictment is the written statement of charges against a defendant in a criminal case for felony charges, after a prosecuter has persuaded a grand jury to vote to indict; lower charges (misdemeaners/offenses) are typically not prosecuted by an indictment/grand jury review.

-a "prosecution" is sometimes broadly used to refer to a civil case, but the term is more appropriate for the criminal case, as there is no "prosecutor" in a civil case, only a "Plaintiff" (the person bringing the lawsuit).
Topic: List the same words with totally different meanings...
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:56:27 AM
desert
Topic: I or me
Posted: Thursday, April 8, 2010 10:52:18 AM
The correct usage is "I." Although this may sound strange, that is only because we have forgotten, or chosen not to emphasize, English grammar properly in spoken (and--I'd argue--written) speech.

One should say

"It is I"/"It is he"/"This is she"/"Just you and I"/"Only you and I"/and, in your example "Peter and I"

Since "Peter and I" are the subjects of the sentence, the pronoun must be in the nominative case--"I"--rather than "me."
Topic: who can 'splain this?
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:09:15 PM
I've got it! When do you want the answer posted?
Topic: while we're at it, punctuate this.
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:02:53 PM
How about:

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is not that so?
Topic: Comma Frustration
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:14:00 PM
Certain Government styles requires the extra comma in a list, if that helps at all.
Topic: Copyright issues
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:22:10 PM
fred wrote:
On a forum/blog, one is not receiving anything... grade, money, professional backslapping... where does the copyright come to play?

I believe this issue of copyright and intellectual property infringement turns on the "publication" or "re-publication" of another's expression. The receipt of value for that act is not required. Publication can mean many things, including:
-photocopying
-printing someone else's song lyrics for emphasis in a book, or online (there was a forum post just the other day where the posters were quoting song lyrics),
-performing someone else's song,
-showing a DVD to other people in other than a family/friends/night-over-watching-a-movie-session, etc.

The area of copyright law/intellectual property, and whether something is actionable, or whether plagiarism has occurred with student or other research papers, is very complicated. (Surprise, surprise). Generally speaking, I believe you should assume:

1. Mere attribution to an author may not be all that is required (formal permission may be needed);
2. Everything that is available online is not "in the public domain" for one's unfettered use, and
3. The doctrine of "fair use" is complicated and not always found merely because one was well-intentioned. It must be considered for each instance--it is not a given.

There are some good websites and excellent books that discuss these types of infringement in depth (just do a google search), but when in doubt, you should always consult an attoney.