User Name: cavarden
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "Derecho de llave" en inglés
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 10:40:27 AM
¿Alguien sabe cómo se puede traducir al inglés la expresión "derecho de llave"? Es un término legal que, si entiendo bien, se refiere al derecho de uso de un local o edificio como si fuera propio.
Topic: Names deriving from Latin (and also ancient Greek!)
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:44:56 PM
It's nice. However, the name "Chloe" doesn't come from Latin but from Greek.
And in the initial list I would make an exception with "Carmen". While it is true that "carmen" means "poem" in Latin, the origin of "Carmen" as a female name is Spanish, from the full name "María del Carmen" which means "Mary of (Mount) Carmel". It's the title that is given to the Virgin Mary in the Carmelite tradition, which is very strong in Spain (St. Theresa, St. John of the Cross...).
As a native Spanish speaker I have always wondered, though, why "Carmel" became "Carmen" in this case, because the Spanish name for Mount Carmel is "Monte Carmelo" (and the Carmelites know that well). ("Carmel" is, of course, originally a Hebrew word -- Karmel, I think.) Perhaps "Carmen" was sort of an abbreviation for "Carmelo", and the "l" became an "n" by a false ethymology based on Latin "carmen" or simply by mispronunciation.
Topic: traducción de willy nilly al español
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:58:03 PM
En muchos contextos yo he encontrado útil traducirlo simplemente por "quieras o no".
Topic: Is "poor" politically incorrect?
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 6:13:11 PM
Luftmarque is right. Here's the paragraph as I translated it into English:
"In Honduras, Corporation XYZ and Association So-and-So joined to collect and donate provisions with the objective of improving the nutritional situation of 55 poor families."
As you can see, this is a third-world situation. The scene is possibly a rural village (or an impoverished area in a city). It's a matter not just of families who are in debt etc. but a more chronic social situation of underdevelopment, typical of many third-world places. In my view, the word "poor" is perfectly clear and accurate in this context. So, if it's not "politically incorrect" (as I gather the consensus seems to indicate), I think I will leave it as it is.
Thank you very much for your contributions.
P.S. - To Richard: Hey, I know my Bible too and I see you have a point, but let's not drift into that because the subject of the thread is different. The parallel passage in Luke 6:20, "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the Kingdom of God," clearly refers to those who are socially poor, as most scholars would interpret. I think Fred has touched the key nerve in all this--who determines what is politically correct? Why do we have to comply with anyone's assertion that any given word is politically incorrect?
Topic: Is "poor" politically incorrect?
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 12:34:39 PM
I'm a translator, mainly between English and Spanish. A few days ago I translated a document from Spanish to English for the Central American branch of a big US corporation. In a paragraph having to do with corporate social responsibility, the Spanish original referred to "poor families", and that's what I wrote in English. A native English speaker who edited my translation marked "poor" as politically incorrect and noted that I should have written "economically disadvantaged".
Does anyone know if "poor" is in fact considered to be politically incorrect nowadays?
If so, I think this is silly (like many other instances of what is politically correct/incorrect). In my view, calling someone "economically disadvantaged" doesn't make them any less poor. What ought to be politically incorrect is doing nothing about poverty.
Topic: what editing & writing books are in your personal library ?
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 12:04:23 PM
One I have and like very much is Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. Not exactly a how-to handbook, but extremely witty on punctuation.
Topic: MS Word and other word processors
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:54:18 PM
While I have always had MS Word on my computer, I've also always had WordPerfect. After 1995 most people thought WordPerfect was obsolete--but it's now in version 14 (WordPerfect Office X4) and it's very modern and easy to use. In fact I prefer it to Word--by far. Word seems to assume you're stupid and does things you haven't asked it to do (like automatic bullet lists etc.) unless you disable that feature, which is hard to do. WordPerfect, instead, is clever and assumes you are clever too. And in the newer versions, it's very easy to save files in Word format so you can share them with people who don't have WP.
I have come to the conviction that WordPerfect users are some sort of cult or elite--and I'm a member, though I know very few of my fellow members.
Topic: Ajuda no espanhol
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:41:01 PM
A minha língua é o espanhol, e nao tenho jamais ouvida esta palavra! Um meu dicionário "Cuyás" espanhol-português dize: "pachucho: passado (de maduro)". Assim aprendi uma nova palavra na minha própria língua!
Topic: Greatest sentence ever!
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:17:50 PM
JohnGriffin wrote:
I don't remember where I found this. Mom goes upstairs to read a bedtime story to her son.

He says, "What did you bring that book that I don't like to be read to out of up for?"

Along this line (or as the opposite of it), I would quote Winston Churchill: "Ending sentences with prepositions is one of those things up with which I will not put."
Topic: The Added Bonus of Repetitive Redundancies
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:25:25 PM
As a Spanish speaker, I find that English tends to use more redundancies anyway. A very frequent one is a period of time (which has already appeared in this thread). In Spanish we just say "a period" and we assume it's "of time". Another common one is, "43 percent of all adults..."--a percentage is, by definition, a portion of the whole, so it's redundant to say "of all". But maybe these are just biased opinions of a Spanish speaker.