Profile: junior
About
User Name: junior
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 10
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: maybe perhaps is better than maybe??
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 3:14:39 PM
For me, I feel that perhaps is more 'romantic" than maybe.

So, in most of my daily conversation, either formal or informal, I will use "maybe". When I am talking to my loved one in a romantic situation, I will use perhaps.

Did you know the song "Perhaps Love" by John Denver? If the title of the song is changed to "Maybe Love", I can't imagine.
Topic: construction help needed
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:28:44 PM
Rookie wrote:
he sat two people removed from me.
he sat two people away from me.
he sat with two people between us.

which of them is correct?

I don't know which one is correct, but I will pick "he sat two people away from me" as this is the most easiest understood.
Topic: subject-verb agreement
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:43:49 AM
In subject verb agreement, we have to find out which subject is the verb referring to. In your sentence it is "you" as well as "everyone", which are plural, then "enjoy" should be used.
Topic: how do you write the date ?
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:04:45 PM
Epiphileon wrote:
I started including this format in my document file names, so that I could easily sort them by date, no matter when I may have edited them; yearmonthdate.

I do the same as you particular when I am working on my computer file for sorting. No matter what culture we are holding, I believe thing will change in according to need and convenience.
Topic: Need help with sentence structure
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:46:50 PM
saya wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether I have the tenses correctly in the following sentence:

"Because Tom was here, the students become happy."

In the above sentence, I'm trying to convey the idea that the students become happy after Tom arrived and the students are still happy now.

You see, I'm confused whether it's grammatically correct to put "was" and "become" in the same sentence since both are of past tense and present tense respectively.

Any help is highly appreciated.

My understanding is: Tom came and students became happy, and now, Tom is still here and students are still happy. In this situation I would prefer "Because Tom is here, the students become happy." or I would say "When Tom came, the students became happy."
Topic: Is "poor" politically incorrect?
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 2:15:47 PM
cavarden wrote:
I'm a translator, mainly between English and Spanish. A few days ago I translated a document from Spanish to English for the Central American branch of a big US corporation. In a paragraph having to do with corporate social responsibility, the Spanish original referred to "poor families", and that's what I wrote in English. A native English speaker who edited my translation marked "poor" as politically incorrect and noted that I should have written "economically disadvantaged".
Does anyone know if "poor" is in fact considered to be politically incorrect nowadays?
If so, I think this is silly (like many other instances of what is politically correct/incorrect). In my view, calling someone "economically disadvantaged" doesn't make them any less poor. What ought to be politically incorrect is doing nothing about poverty.

If you write a sentence using "economically disadvantaged families", I really don't know what kind of family you are mentioning. It is because rich family may go through a "economically disadvantaged" period. If you use "poor families", I will know exactly what you are talking about.
Topic: Property vs Estate
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:54:47 PM
Thank you very much for telling me a lot about their differences.

I only use "estate" when I am talking about all the belongings of a dead man. That is all I learned.
Topic: Property vs Estate
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:23:45 PM
Would you mind give an example?
Topic: translate: "white widowed male"
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 3:18:21 PM
Yu Chen wrote:
translate:

"white widowed male"

context:

"Lolita, or the Confession of a White Widowed Male," such were the two titles under which the writer of the present note received the strange pages it preambulates.

I have so far 丧偶白肤男子. How does it sound?

I think that using 丧偶 is more appropriate than 鳏夫. As 鳏夫 has a hidden meaning that the subject is a female who lost his husband, because 夫 mean male. For 偶 it can mean either male or female.
So, 鳏夫白肤男子 will cause a confusion about the gender of the subject. A white female widow man?

Besides, for Chinese we usually call white man or caucasian as 白種人 or 白人, so White Widowed Male can be translate as 丧偶白種男子.
Topic: I laugh at you
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 11:09:40 AM
krmiller wrote:
Sar27 wrote:
you could probably substitute it with another, such as above, inside, or without etc. but none of those make any sense.

I laugh inside you! You have swallowed me, but failed to digest me! Ha ha ha!

I like this joke !!

Applause